Rangers training with other forces

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Adam: Are you considering going to the FFL after your service in the US is done?
Adam17
Embryo

Post by Adam17 »

Ranger Spartan, I am considering it after my service. I have read a couple books on it (life in the french foreign legion) and I have talked to a few people who joined it. I have a glimpse of what to expect in the legion. I consider joining just to experience another way of living life, besides American and the hardship that it involves.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Adam17 wrote:Ranger Spartan, I am considering it after my service. I have read a couple books on it (life in the french foreign legion) and I have talked to a few people who joined it. I have a glimpse of what to expect in the legion. I consider joining just to experience another way of living life, besides American and the hardship that it involves.

I'd advise against it.

I knew a canuck...listen to this fucking guys resume........Marine...felt the Corps was too "easy" so he went and joined the FFL, thenjoined Regt...he was in my Pre-Ranger class.....

He said that there was a lot of physical abuse in the FFL...not that that is bad...and he also said that you basically became a squad leader, or a PSG by kicking the previous guys ass......might make for a mean mofo, but not necessarily the best leader. He also mentioned how basically you are confined to barracks for the first year, because so many new recruits desert.

When I trained with them at Batt, there was a lot of handholding and whatnot going on. If you went over to their barracks there would be two dudes laying together on a bunk......(I personally never went, but Desert Sloth had to experience some "French" and afterwards he told me... :roll: )

We asked their British Platoon Sgt. about this...he said there was some blatant homo sexuality in the Legion, and he also told us that there was a "pecking order" basically like prison among the younger recruits...i.e., you could be the literal "squad bitch" for your first year.....

This all kind of blew me away, because I grew up reading great things about the Legion......but in person, I wasn't that impressed.
Adam17
Embryo

Post by Adam17 »

Whoa, thats something I've never heard about. The legion lost it's real hardcore spirit when all of hardend vets were killed in the trenchs of WWI.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

No the legion probably lost its spirit after all the Germans were killed in Viet Nam
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
UK Warlord
Embryo

Post by UK Warlord »

Bad mutha you rude mutha

All that gay Foreign Legion shit is bull shit. If you said that shit down the pink Caddillac club, you'd get your arse kicked by at least 20 Legionairres. Stop spreading such malicious shit.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

UK Warlord wrote:Bad mutha you rude mutha

All that gay Foreign Legion shit is bull shit. If you said that shit down the pink Caddillac club, you'd get your arse kicked by at least 20 Legionairres. Stop spreading such malicious shit.
UK Warlord, you will address BadMuther as Ranger BadMuther on this board. Read FAQ's in intro of Ranger's, Veterans and parents of Ranger's forum.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
UK Warlord
Embryo

Apologies for my forum ignorance.:oops:

Post by UK Warlord »

Ranger Steadfast, if it is the etiquete of the board to address Rangers as Ranger then excuse me for my omission in this post.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: Apologies for my forum ignorance.:oops:

Post by Horned Toad »

UK Warlord wrote:Ranger Steadfast, if it is the etiquete of the board to address Rangers as Ranger then excuse me for my omission in this post.
Yes it is the etiquette of the board, as Steadfast said read the faq, if a person on this board has Ranger in their title then that means that they have been verified and are who they say they are. Every one else is guilty until proven innocent, if you don’t follow the rules you will be reading as a guest like so many others.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
MikeP
Embryo

Post by MikeP »

BadMuther wrote:
Adam17 wrote:Ranger Spartan, I am considering it after my service. I have read a couple books on it (life in the french foreign legion) and I have talked to a few people who joined it. I have a glimpse of what to expect in the legion. I consider joining just to experience another way of living life, besides American and the hardship that it involves.

I'd advise against it.

I knew a canuck...listen to this fucking guys resume........Marine...felt the Corps was too "easy" so he went and joined the FFL, thenjoined Regt...he was in my Pre-Ranger class.....

He said that there was a lot of physical abuse in the FFL...not that that is bad...and he also said that you basically became a squad leader, or a PSG by kicking the previous guys ass......might make for a mean mofo, but not necessarily the best leader. He also mentioned how basically you are confined to barracks for the first year, because so many new recruits desert.

When I trained with them at Batt, there was a lot of handholding and whatnot going on. If you went over to their barracks there would be two dudes laying together on a bunk......(I personally never went, but Desert Sloth had to experience some "French" and afterwards he told me... :roll: )

We asked their British Platoon Sgt. about this...he said there was some blatant homo sexuality in the Legion, and he also told us that there was a "pecking order" basically like prison among the younger recruits...i.e., you could be the literal "squad bitch" for your first year.....

This all kind of blew me away, because I grew up reading great things about the Legion......but in person, I wasn't that impressed.

Hey Guys I was just looking through this site and WTF!!! Where did you get that shiiit from? I served in the 2eme Rep (legion paras) from 84 - 89 and anyone suspected of being gay or something would be kicked out and sent to Aubagne (Legion depot) to be re-affected or else discharged.
Things may have changed since then as the world has got all PC and become a pretty weird place to be honest and I hear that the REP is a very different regiment now to when I was in. They now even have a reserve company made up of part timers or something!! How the fcuk do you have a reserve legion para company?? When I was there we were absolutely full on 24hrs a day and the discipline was strict and often brutal. Any one looking to join I would say don't bother as the best days are gone. When I was there the REP was pretty hardcore and the main recreational activities (whenever we had free time) were running, weight training, drinking and fighting!! There were few girls in Calvi and mostly only pros (whores) who were kept very busy especially after the regiment had been paid. I knew an ex Ranger who came over to us and he was in my section ( I was his cpl) he was a big motha with ginger hair called Lareau (Ralph I think) he was a pretty good guy and I remember that he had a heavy glass ashtray smashed into his face in a bar by a legionnaire from another company and he would have destroyed the guy that hit him if the guys 3 friends hadn't have joined in. I heard that they hit him with just about everything and it took a hell of a long time to knock him down. I saw him the next morning at morning parade and he was mad as hell and those 4 guys kept well out of his way for the next couple of weeks before their company was sent to Djibouti (next to Somalia).
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Hey Mike you need post an intro. We like to know who we are talking to.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

i didnt know too much about the FFL, so i did a little looking with google. ( im sure there are other people reading this that are also in my shoes)

this is what i came up with: link

ill scurry out of here before i get drop kicked in the throat.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”