Introduction

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Introduction

Post by Fortitudine »

Good evening all! My name is John and I'm 33yrs old from Houston originally from Guam. Im the youngest of 3 boys and grew up very poor especially after my father passed away when I was 4. We were taught at early age to alway give 110% and never quit by my grandfather who was enslaved by the Japanese army during their occupation of Guam. He would always tell me that he survived the struggles and horrors so that his family wouldn't have to. I've engrained this in everything I do in life. Both of my brothers were in the Army. One of them was medically retired due to injuries sustained in Afghanistan and the other is currently in the National Guard.

Now for my journey. I'm currently in the process of starting the DEP again. I say again because 9 years ago I sat down with a recruiter and a few days later I found out I had testicular cancer. After meeting with my urologist I decided on the aggressive route by giving up my left nut 3 days later. Rather than sitting there feeling sorry for myself I continued to forge on. After a week I sat down with my recruiter and he informed me that they wouldn't touch me until I'm considered cured. That process took 5 years and at my 4th year mark I was blessed to have 2 kids which extended my wait. During this time I have always took every job and committed 110% and lead my team/coworkers to success and at the same time stay humble and learn from them as well. I currently have a good job and make good money but I've always had the Army calling my name. Like everything I do I strive to do and be the best and the Ranger Regiment is my calling. On my initial MEPs review of my medical records I was DQd. I'm currently waiting on the Big Army to review my records so that I can start the MEPs process. Until then I'm not officially in the DEP program but that hasn't stopped me doing weekly 3 day PT with my recruiting office and strength train 5 days a week on my own. I'm working with my brothers when I can and I'm studying and learning the Regiment lineage.

My MOSs I'm wanting are 13F, 68w, or 11x with an option 40. If I'm required to get a medical waiver this would not allow me to get an option 40 worked in my contract from what I understand. If that happens I'll shoot for an option 4 and PT my ass off and seek out the Regiment recruiter.

I'm here to listen and learn from those who have been there and are still there.

PT 1 month ago
PU 45
SU 40
2m 18:35

PT as of Friday
PU 72
SU 63
2m 16:10
68w opt 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Jim »

Welcome John. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger? You have established a PT baseline to build on. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Ranger Jim thank you for the welcome into the forum. As I touched on earlier, I strive to be at the top of everything I set forth on and to be able to join the ranks of like minded men in the Army is a no brainier in my opinion. I just wonder how this 33yr old would be excepted due to my age?
68w opt 4
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

I was in the same boat with 4 kids. Do your best and excel at everything and you are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Fortitudine wrote: I just wonder how this 33yr old would be excepted due to my age?
Is the word excepted or accepted? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Jim wrote:
Fortitudine wrote: I just wonder how this 33yr old would be excepted due to my age?
Is the word excepted or accepted? Never, never quit!
Roger Ranger Grim666 110% all the way.

Roger Ranger Jim. No excuses. Knocked out 50 push-ups.
68w opt 4
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Good morning everyone. I was a little restless last night and could not sleep because I'm am supposed to hear back from big Army if I'm approved to go to MEPs for a physical. Missing my left nut doesn't handicap me at all I just tend to veer to the right every once in awhile. Don't mind my humor. I've laughed at my situation from the beginning rather than sulk and feel sorry for myself. Since I was up at 3am I decided to do a PT assessment.

On a side note: I am now designated as the fill in instructor for PT when our Sgts are off meeting their Commander or if their tied up with potential recruits. I have one 1sgt that is fresh from the 82nd (infantry) he kinda scoffs at the idea of this 33yr old wanting to the Ranger route. My work ethic has validated my choice.
PU 75
SU 62
2m 15:30
68w opt 4
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Rangers, I've hit a speed bump. The big Army Doctor DQd my medical review. This is technically my final review and this would prevent me from joining the Army. They are saying my tumor is classified as milignant which DQs me. I've been cleared for 8yrs with nothing showing up. I've talked the NCOIC at my recruiters office and I will be going to my eurologist to see if he could reclass my tumor as malignant to benign. Im not quiting. I'm going to try everything I can to get in. Continuing PT using this as motivation.
68w opt 4
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Don't quit keep trying. Keep talking to NCOIC and see if there is anything they can push from their side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Ranger Grim666 I'm looking at every possible route from my Doc to trying to reach the Army Doc that DQd me. It pisses me off knowing I'm more than capable to join the Army and have absolutely no limitations. Hell, I'd even give up my medical rights if any tumors were to come back. Quitting is not an option.
68w opt 4
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Good Morning/Afternoon All.

Just left my Urologis office and he is on board with writing a letter for me stating I've been cleared of my malignant tumor. He's also going to supply his contact info in case Big Army Doc wants to review with him. Self administered PT test this afternoon.
68w opt 4
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Rangers and forum members,

Let me start by saying my family and I appreciate all of you active and prior service members have done for this country and for us. Thank You.

I received my letter from my doctor stating I was cured from my cancer back in 07 from the initial surgery. I'm hoping this will be the ticket. Since then, I'm continuing to attend PT 3days a week and going to the gym 5 days. The delay just give me more time to prepare and learn. Knowing that a medical waiver will force me to take the long road into the Regiment, I know being a PT stud is the way and training will get me there.

PT today
PU 85
SU 66
2m 15:17
68w opt 4
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Rangers,

It's been a little while since my last post and I apologize for that. (Pushed 50) after fighting the waiver process, I finally got the green light to move forward with MEPs. Next Thursday is my appointment and I'm ready for it. My training hasn't stop during this wait either.

PU 90
SU80
PUll Ups 15
14:08 2mil
Interval training with Ruck.
68w opt 4
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Fortitudine wrote:Rangers,

It's been a little while since my last post and I apologize for that. (Pushed 50) after fighting the waiver process, I finally got the green light to move forward with MEPs. Next Thursday is my appointment and I'm ready for it. My training hasn't stop during this wait either.

PU 90
SU80
PUll Ups 15
14:08 2mil
Interval training with Ruck.
Good job sticking it out there. Literally. Keep fighting forward and take what you want.

Your run has improved some but still needs a lot of work. Keep at it and try some of the running improvement methods posted in the Physical Fitness Forum.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Fortitudine
Future Soldier

Post by Fortitudine »

Ranger Cams thank you. I intend to do whatever is possible to get what I want. I will definitely utilize the methods posted in the fitness forum.
68w opt 4

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”