Basic to be toughest part??

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Deadmeat

Basic to be toughest part??

Post by Deadmeat »

Ok well maybe not physically!! Though i was thinking the last few days about this. Don't you think no matter how much stuff you do with your recruiter and such to get you ready the first week or 2 of basic will still be a shock to most. I know it will be to me. I'm not really sure what the meaning of this post is (maybe to stir up some talk on what you think will be hardest??) or maybe just to have everyone keep a postive outlook those first few weeks away from home.

Oh i mean hardest from Basic,Ait,Airborne, and Rip. I mean come on we all know actuall Ranger school is the worst :shock:
wannabehooah

Post by wannabehooah »

I think the first week or so of basic will be a culture shock, but not really tough. It will just take some getting used to the lifestyle and schedule. Personally I think I'll love just getting away from home and doing something different. I'll probably feel really stupid the first couple weeks too. No one really knows what the hell they are doing when they get there.

AIT, for me anyway (medic), will probably be just be a huge learning experience. I don't think it will be tough though.

Airborne, three weeks of PT and jumping from high places. Sounds better than three weeks in Cancun, can't wait.

RIP, three weeks of an ass kicking and learning. I think it will be tough, but a good experience.

Ranger School, 61 days of an all out assault on every part of your being, but it's worth it. God I hope I'm not in a winter class.

By the way, do they make you wear the black beret? I just don't like the idea of wearing something that used to be a sign of the elite and is now issued to paper pushers and cooks.
Cicisbeo

Post by Cicisbeo »

Actually the Ranger Battalions are not wearing black anymore, they have switched to tan berets. I think they look pretty damn cool. Check out the pictures from the 1st Battalion ceremony that are posted on this site.

Mike
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Color really doesn't matter, i think its more what it stands for. I think your dead on with what you say. Personally i can't wait for Ait, i really really want to ride in a chopper and such.

What i meant was not "tough" per say but a shock like you put it. I mean i was going over with my recruiter some map reading and marching last night and man alot of stuff thrown at you quickly i was like Wow! calm down a sec. Thats just how i think the first weeks of basic will be. Just throwing alot at you. It will be kinda funny looking at myself then and everyone else. Saluting the wrong people, tripping when marching, and any other newbie screwups we may pull. Should be more funny than frustrating.
wannabehooah

Post by wannabehooah »

cicisbeo, i meant wearing the black beret like regular arm does now when It used to belong to the Rangers. I just feel like the black berets are given away, like I haven't done anything to earn it. That's what bothers me, but I guess I'll get over it. Yea, the tan berets look sharp.

I need to start getting on the map reading/nav. If you dont practice it's gonna be a bitch in RIP. What's your DEP program like? There's a lot of kids in mine that need to get their stuff together quick. My recruiting station is good about teaching us what we need to know and pushing us on the PT tests.

Doing the drill/ceremony stuff will definetly be interesting. I just hope I don't drop my rifle or fall on my face.
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

Wannabe, I have a friend who is currently going through AIT as a medic, and he said it's been pretty boring.
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aaa
Last edited by Morris0352 on February 18th, 2009, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Morris0352 wrote: He was explaining that the first weeks in reception suck SOOO bad because...
I heard this exact same thing. I think as long as you get there expecting a long and boring wait, it shouldn't be that bad.
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aaa
Last edited by Morris0352 on February 18th, 2009, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bell

Post by Bell »

makeithurt? I take it you didn't enjoy basics or ait? Did ya learn anything? That really is the important question.

RLTW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah, what is your status now 'makeithurt'? Are you a soldier, reservist, didn't make it, or what?
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

MakeItSquirt, YOU'VE BEEN CALLED OUT. I've heard all your hard ass stories before; so think fast...
You really seem to remember basic well; I personally had forgotten all that highspeed lingo you spout. Maybe it was too many bad PLF's...maybe it was that basic is just that; the basics. I think I went to candyland....where ever the fuck that is.
We're all waitin'..... :roll:

Return to “The Mosh Pit”