Questions About Enlistment

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Derek_1559
Egg

Questions About Enlistment

Post by Derek_1559 »

Rangers, I have a lot of questions about enlisting. I'm sorry if this is the wrong are to post this, but i couldn't find a more appropriate one, since most of my questions are about recruitment, or at least, getting into the Rangers. I've been considering the Air Force to become a pilot, but i'm not sure how realistic that is with extremely limited pilot slots, so I've also been looking at the Rangers. So anyways, if any of you wanted to answer a lot of questions about becoming a ranger, I'd really appreciate someone taking the time to PM me about it. I have no resources but the internet and recruiting officers as no immediate family or friends are serving or have served, and I've been reading different threads on this forum and it sounds like recruiting officers jerk you around a lot, so I figure you guys are my first, best resource. Thanks for taking the time to read this either way. Have a good one. And thank you for your service. Really
Edge
Ranger

Re: Questions About Enlistment

Post by Edge »

Hey man definitely not a Ranger here but just some helpful advice and probably gonna get chewed for this. I read both of your posts and it seems like you have done some perusing but I'd suggest refining the terms in your search when using the search button on this site that has helped me dozens of times since I've stepped into this AO by either extending or shortening my terms a word or two. I'm not qualified to give any advice on the military aspects and I wont attempt to but I am acquainted with being in college(in reference to wanting to be a pilot in the USAF) with an urge to serve. And I know for me I think everyday about how I'd rather be serving than studying business finance or how some dude in the 1900s revolutionized banking in America. There are literally days when I want to drop out, quit football, and march into a recruiters office demanding an 11x Option 40. I'm not suggesting either way but I know for me personally since I've already decided I want to serve my country the 4 P's of marketing and all that other shit mean a lot less and makes it harder to listen to everyday. College has its benefits and you have time to decide if they are worth it in order to be an aviator. There are a lot of men on here I fear and respect that will share their knowledge with you if you "look, listen and pay attention to detail " in the words of Ranger Ron when I first joined and they can speak on the rest of your requests.

For Any Rangers Ive pissed off stepping out of bounds...elevating my feet.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75
Derek_1559
Egg

Post by Derek_1559 »

Edgerusher71 wrote:I read both of your posts and it seems like you have done some perusing but I'd suggest refining the terms in your search .
Ive definitely seen a lot of "read/search more, post less" around, and for the most part that's what I've been trying to do. But man, when I search I can't even find what and 11x option 40 is. I know its the contract but i can't even find what it actually does. It's that kind of questions that I have. A lot of basic ones really. And I could use a little advice. Thanks for posting though.

And I agree 110%. I could NEVER be a desk jockey. I couldn't. Its military all the way, no matter what.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

For both of you, I'd suggest that you begin by reading the FAQs, as well as selected stickies and use the search feature. Specific questions are normally addressed by someone who has a strong background in the area. In both your cases, I have not seen much specific detail. We take some pride in the fine young men who pass through here on their life journey that includes service in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Roger Ranger Jim.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75

Return to “Recruitment Process”