RE-NO

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
G.M.7
Future Soldier

RE-NO

Post by G.M.7 »

Hey Rangers,

As stated by my intro I am already enlisted but looking to re-no for my option 40. I have used all the tactics (calling the Ranger liaison number, asking my recruiter for a re-no, staying firm and polite) but I was wondering how successful a re-no actually is. I've read on here that several men have obtained their option 40 through this route, but I'm not sure how many have tried. My recruiter is very nice and willing to work with me. She has told me she will call me next week to set something up at MEPS, and I see here face-to-face once a week for updates. However, she acts like getting this is is more impossible than flying pigs dropping ice bombs and freezing over hell. She also states that it is possible that when I go to MEPS to get an option 40, I can loose my 11x. Which made no sense to me or my dad (a Captain in the Army, so he is heavily involved in my process). Im looking for a little advice or insight on my situation. Once again I will find a way even if I have to do it the hard way (getting an invite to airborne in OSUT), but I would like to get in in my contract. I have 129 days till I ship and I have told my recruiter I will go to MEPS 129 more times to get this. I just want to know if its as simple as MEPS liaisons looking in their computer, or someone calling the ROC for me, or if it really is impossible (which is not true based of multiple situations off here). Again I will keep trying, but is there anything else I can do to light a fire under my recruiters ass to move a little faster?

Any and all help is appreciated
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: RE-NO

Post by Slowpoke »

You might try reminding your recruiter that SHE isn't the only recruiter on earth. But, give her a chance to do what she said she would. It is my understanding that you CAN renegotiate your contract. Yes, you may not get and option 40 with 11X. You may have to think about being a Ranger FO or a Ranger Medic if you want to ship soon. Or you can just waite it out and get the 11X Option40. You'll have to trust me on this but some of the most heroic men in a Ranger Battalion are the Medics and FOs.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
G.M.7
Future Soldier

Post by G.M.7 »

Here is an update for those Rangers who know of my situation.

I've been at my recruiters ankles for about a month now about a reno for an option 40. Today I got a call from her saying she talked to a Master Sergeant and he will pull it for me an add it to my contract if it pops up. Which means I don't have to go back to MEPS and risk losing my already to far away ship date. She is going to check with him on a weekly basis to be able to update me. I have 117 days before I ship so Im pretty confident I can get this. Or at least an option 4 so I can get to the Ranger liaison while at airborne.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Hound that recruiter until you get what you want. "Wait and hope" is not an option.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
G.M.7
Future Soldier

Post by G.M.7 »

Rodger that.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

G.M.7 wrote:Rodger that.
Roger that. Attention to detail.

Small things like this, you may think they are not important. They are. You are always being evaluated. 100% and then some.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
G.M.7
Future Soldier

Post by G.M.7 »

Thank you for correcting me Ranger Bravo57.
The Professor
Egg

Post by The Professor »

GM7

First, I can't emphasis enough the truth to the saying that a wise man learns from others mistakes where a fool learns from his own. So I hope you learn from my foolishness.

I was in your position when I enlisted in 97, so I understand some of the obstacles you'll encounter. I'm sure some things have changed but probably not much. Here is the short. 

I contracted as an 11X and wanted to renegotiate to add RIP into the contract. I hounded my recruiter and met with the colonel at MEPS. Unfortunately, despite the fact I had the scores and everything else was a go, there wasn't a slot available for 5 months. I was too impatient to wait that long and believed that if I busted ass and showed I was squared away I could grab an airborne slot followed by RIP. Of course the recruiter supported this belief.

When I was at basic and AIT I busted ass as planned which resulted in me getting Honor Grad and with it the slot to jump school. Then, the kiss of death. Everyone in our company was chosen to be 11M. Since I and another had the support of our Drill Sergeants and CO, our orders to airborne were still good and we stayed as hold overs until we were sent to jump school, while everyone else went to their assigned mechanized units.

Well, after 5 weeks it was decided there weren't enough slots to send 11Ms to jump school, so my orders were changed to a mechanized unit and the possibility of Ranger School was gone until reenlistment 4 years later.

So, the moral of my story:
1. Be tenacious about getting what you want in writing!
2. Learn from my mistake and don't be impatient.
3. You ARE able to renegotiate your contract.
4. You are not obligated to leave until you have already left, so...
5. ...GET IT IN THE CONTRACT and do not leave until you do.
6. The tenacity you demonstrate to get what you want now will pay off your whole military career.

Other knowledge you should benefit from:
Legally you CAN renegotiate your contract until you report to MEPS to ship out. Don't let the idea of a contract fool you because that contract is not binding on your part until the Army has given you the "consideration" it has promised with in the terms of your contract. (This is not legal advice.)  

DON'T worry about losing your 11X because that is a scare tactic to keep you interested and your name on the roster. DO worry about going in as an 11X because the NEEDS of the Army will determine what identifier you get which may throw a wrench in your plans. 

Remember, a recruiters objective is to get butts on the bus to make their numbers, so be very careful about taking what they say as truth.  

G.M.7
Future Soldier

Post by G.M.7 »

Another update.

Today I got an option 4. I still pressed for the 40, and my recruiter said she is still searching. So now I have my back up plan and am at least going to airborne school pending my airborne physical. Its amazing though because as soon as I put my foot down and ask for what I want, they come up with an airborne contract in 2 days. Imagine what they can find for me (hopefully a Ranger contract) in the next 115 days.
G.M.7
Future Soldier

Post by G.M.7 »

Ranger Zonk 1/75,

I already signed in August. I didn't find this website and how to deal with recruiters and liaisons until after I signed and everything. I then was told getting a Ranger contract was easy in OSUT, and they hand them out like candy. Trust me just because I got an option 4 added doesn't mean I'm ending it, I call my recruiter everyday and meet once a week for updated information on getting a option 40 re-no. However I had the option 4 added today as a precaution in case everything didn't work out. I understand from information on this site that going to a Ranger liaison during airborne is an alternate way to get to RASP. From what I understand her and her 1st Sergeant are at it everyday. Im sure they get tired of me asking. A few weeks ago I was told that "Getting an option 4 is hard enough, let alone an option 40" by my recruiter, but now I'm starting to see them mold and conform to what I want. It seems to me that they need to keep looking, I need to keep asking, and its only a matter of time until a slot opens up.

On a side note, a friend of mine who enlisted as a cook today was offered a option 40. I nearly took his head off for not taking it.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

The Professor wrote:
Blah, blah, blah 
your first post should have been an intro per our site rules. your next one needs to be.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
G.M.7
Future Soldier

Post by G.M.7 »

Hey Rangers,

Today I received the great news that my recruiter got me an Option 40 attached to my 11x. All I have to do now is pass my airborne physical and its official. Its been a long wait and a lot of nagging the hell out of my recruiter, but with 55 days left now I got it. Thanks for all of the advice.
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Don't waste it.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.

Return to “Recruitment Process”