Intro - Mateusz

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Go_Placidly
Embryo

Intro - Mateusz

Post by Go_Placidly »

Hello Rangers and forum-members,

My name is Mateusz, and my first thank you has to go out to "anonymous" for posting a comment on http://www.ehow.com/tips_10846.html. That was what led me to this site.

About me:
I'm 22 years old, graduated with a B.S. in Environmental Engineering from Columbia University (SEAS) in '08, and have been working as a "junior remediation scientist" (unofficial engineer) for an environmental consulting company for 6 months now. I am Polish, and speak it fluently. I also have a good base in French, which I studied in MS and HS. I was born in France as my parents were attempting to gain a visa for the US. When that was denied, we moved to to Calgary, Canada, a year later, where I grew up for the next 5 years. Since then, my home has been the suburbs of Philadelphia. In early winter '08, my family and I became citizens (who knows how many members there are in the house of representatives?).

Last summer was when I first began researching service as a post-college option. I even went so far as to take a practice ASVAB at their office (scored a 98 i think). My parents are both scientists, but the Polish history I grew up around, and the stories I heard from grandparents and others, planted a military seed in me which has been growing for years. For many years I was also a Polish boyscout which ingrained me with a love of the outdoors, team coordination, and a ranked system of leadership. But now to the heart of the matter...

Why an Army Ranger?

It's not that being an ace in the sky isn't appealing, nor is sailing the seas, but having some terra firma beneath my feet is where I feel most confident (parachuting down notwithstanding). Finding a camaraderie unlike any other, although I give it short mention here, is also a deep desire that I can't fully explain. In my research I found that Rangers embody exactly the traits I wish to achieve - and though it won't be an easy road by any means, you Rangers clearly demonstrate that the road can be conquered.

The Obstacles.
My belief in candor brings me to what I feel is the only weed in this garden of dreams, no pun intended. As a straight edge kid my whole life, I took a dive into the deep end when I got to college. The college mentality didn't leave me until march of this year. A new job, an apartment, independent living... and some bad new friends (needless to say, they abandoned me once I gave up their way of life). I have two pot possession charges, both in NJ, one from summer '07 and one from late winter '09. I didn't feel right posting here until this was settled. The amounts were tiny, and I was a stupid kid who felt invincible. For the first charge, I had a conditional discharge. This most recent charge (<1 gram) was settled today - a monetary fine and that's it.

What have I learned?
Quitting the habit earned me respect at work. In the past few months, I became good at my job. I remembered what it felt like to be in high school - when everyone would put you down for trying to achieve the most you could - but doing it to better yourself. I remembered things, period.

But now what? I am willing to wait a year, to a year and a half, before enlisting. I have also volunteered to be part of a citizen's patrol for the town I live in. And when I go to the recruiter, I won't settle for anything less than that option 40, 11x, chance to become a Ranger who won't end up behind a desk.

I know it was long-winded, but I only get one shot at an intro, and I'd rather get everything out on the table than bleed it to you slowly. Thank you for taking the time to read this, Rangers!

-Matt (it's easier than my Polish name)

P.S. If Ranger Jim could grant me a two week deadline on my PT scores, I'd be grateful, as I cut my left foot playing volleyball barefoot at a work party this past weekend, and would rather have it heal ASAP than keep aggravating it.

P.P.S. Like many other newcomers, I could not find a "newt" set of avatar's, so I googled baby newt, found a picture of a tadpole, and hoped it would be an appropriate metaphor.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''”
M.Ali

Still round the corner, there may wait,
A secret road, or a hidden gate,
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day shall come at last when I,
Will take the hidden paths that run,
West of the moon, East of the sun!
JRR T
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Intro - Mateusz

Post by Bravo57 »

Welcome to the site
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Welcome here. Good luck.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Go_Placidly
Embryo

Post by Go_Placidly »

Rangers JLTW!!!, Bravo 57, Oto-Man, and hwm123,

Thanks for the welcomes (and the encouragement Ranger hwm123). In other news, my foot has been healing fast (neosporin is the shit), so my PT scores will be up within a week, rather than two.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''”
M.Ali

JRR T
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thanks for your interest in Army Rangers. Good luck to you, with luck meaning preparedness meeting opportunity. Get your self prepared and then create the opportunity. Make you own good luck.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Go_Placidly wrote: Why an Army Ranger?

It's not that being an ace in the sky isn't appealing, nor is sailing the seas, but having some terra firma beneath my feet is where I feel most confident (parachuting down notwithstanding). Finding a camaraderie unlike any other, although I give it short mention here, is also a deep desire that I can't fully explain. In my research I found that Rangers embody exactly the traits I wish to achieve - and though it won't be an easy road by any means, you Rangers clearly demonstrate that the road can be conquered.
Nobody is a better spokesman for this belief than me. I have said it a million times "If I did it, anyone can do it".

Of course I had one attribute that made it possible and that is my stubbornness! Which equates to NEVER EVER QUIT!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Go_Placidly wrote:Hello

P.S. If Ranger Jim could grant me a two week deadline on my PT scores, I'd be grateful, as I cut my left foot playing volleyball barefoot at a work party this past weekend, and would rather have it heal ASAP than keep aggravating it.
Matt,
As you have learned, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. Obviously, you are right on track. I know that to members of your generation, smoking dope is not a big deal; but when General Abrams chartered the creation of a Ranger Battalion, he set the bar very high for many. You will have to work with your local recruiters to determine if a waiver will be granted. That's outside my comfort zone. Your request for a Self-administered PT test deferment is granted. come back in a week or so and post your results here. I'm a patient man. So far, so good. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, young man. I appreciate you interest in becoming an Army Ranger. If you will look, listen and pay attention to details, you can learn a great deal here to help you. The first you have already been told: NEVER QUIT!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Go_Placidly
Embryo

Post by Go_Placidly »

SFC hit_it wrote:

5) Be legally qualified to enter the service without needing to be interviewed for a moral waiver. While this is not 100% proven, i have only seen one person(not mine) need a waiver of this sort and get an option 40. This person maxed the ASVAB, had a BS degree, and had changed his life and was now a religous man. He is in 1/75 now.
Ranger Jim,

When you say "outside your comfort zone," do you mean that you are uncomfortable with someone with a flawed history like mine pursuing a Ranger career, that you are unable to have a say in the matter, or something else altogether? Also, thank you for granting me the extension for the self-administered PT test and the welcome.

I am quoting what SFC hit_it wrote in a thread from the Recruitment Process board, and I am hoping to maybe be another exception like that. But, as to what will happen at the recruiting office is to be seen, and discussing it may be moot :roll:. The more I think about it, the severity of this obstacle may lead me to go to a recruiting office sooner, rather than later, and let them know the situation. Then, with displayed persistence and a show of life-changing events, I will make my luck happen. What SFC hit_it wrote also stuck with me the moment I read it because, not to sound like I'm trying to 'fit the bill' on purpose, but in the past couple months I reconnected spiritually to what I consider my God. I was raised Catholic, but I believe praying/talking to God one-on-one, instead of through a priest, can really settle my emotions down or turn a bad mood around. Faith can be powerful, whether it's in God, or in believing you can achieve something. Either way, it was something I lost in college, but got back.

Finally, I wanted to throw out another round of thank you's to Rangers Bill, Ron, Silverback, and Ranger Parent wazzle. Believe it or not, this simple introductory thread and the encouragement has brought the idea of becoming a Ranger from something like the stars up above, to the peak of Mt. Everest. It's not light years away anymore :) ... (fear not, a few sets of push-ups will wipe that smile right off my face).
M.Ali

JRR T
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Go_Placidly wrote:
1. Ranger Jim,When you say "outside your comfort zone," do you mean that you are uncomfortable with someone with a flawed history like mine pursuing a Ranger career, that you are unable to have a say in the matter, or something else altogether? Also, thank you for granting me the extension for the self-administered PT test and the welcome.

2. I was raised Catholic, but I believe praying/talking to God one-on-one, instead of through a priest, can really settle my emotions down or turn a bad mood around. Faith can be powerful, whether it's in God, or in believing you can achieve something. Either way, it was something I lost in college, but got back.
Interesting points, I'll address each:

1. No, I said it because I do not know enough about this area of waivers to speak with any authority. Had the question been about medical waivers, I would go to my point of contact in the Surgeon General's office. That's the only reason I feel uncomfortable.

2. Easy, just become a Lutheran like the rest of us.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Interesting story and good introduction. Your family shows great persistence in getting to America. It sounds like you had a good foundation and that it brought you back to good sense. Lots of people have a bit of a bend in their own road like that, but not everyone makes it back to right thinking. Good on you for that.

Welcome to the site. I hope your pursuit of your goal goes well!
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Rabbit
Tadpole

Post by Rabbit »

Go_Placidly, look in your e-mail for what the affadavit looks like in cadet-land. This may not help as you wish to enlist, but I am sure that it is in the same arena.

Return to “Introduction Archive”