The response of most civilians on my decision to join

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Roasting
Soldier

The response of most civilians on my decision to join

Post by Roasting »

Today I let my co-workers know I would be resigning soon and shipping out come August. With the exception of a couple ex-Navy guys, I get pretty much the same two responses from everyone else:

1. Why?!? What made you do it?

and

2. Why didn't you join the Air Force?

Today was a long day.

Fellow DEPers - are you getting similar comments thrown at you?
penetra le tenebre
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

Congrats on your shoice. I'm gonna be letting my co-workers know tomorrow that I will be going into the Army soon.....I am also going to cut back to part-time at work so i can use the mornings for extra PT time. The old man I work with is ex-Navy so i imagine he will support my decision but the other fruitcake I work with is a peice of shit liberal cock smoker so I may have to throw him a beatin if I get any remarks that piss me off. I already told the sumbitch last week that if he doesn't quit whistling all tthe time I'm gonna sew his lips together :lol:
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
Osiris
Embryo

Post by Osiris »

I'm so sick of answering the question "why" .............now I just answer "because".
Hurler of Lightning!
Osiris
Embryo

Post by Osiris »

Leatherneck wrote:
Osiris wrote:I'm so sick of answering the question "why" .............now I just answer "because".
Do you know why you joined?
yes Leatherneck
Hurler of Lightning!
Osiris
Embryo

Post by Osiris »

Leatherneck wrote:Well? Explain it. Your frustration over being asked has me doubting whether or not you've got a good explanation.
First and foremost for myself, I am a healthy young man capable of contributing and have regreted not stepping up to the plate sooner, no more excuses. I am tired of watching my friends and family die on the news, I am ready to kick to ass. I want to make a difference.
Hurler of Lightning!
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Leatherneck wrote:I'm not picking on you. I've had in mind for a while to grab some DEP and make him explain his reasons.
If it's not considered an unwanted or impolite interruption, I'll take a stab at it and give you my reasons.
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Osiris
Embryo

Post by Osiris »

Leatherneck wrote:Osiris, first of all, thanks for stepping up to the plate. Being in the military is obviously something I believe can be a great thing. But I think before one does it, exactly why should be crystal clear - because that knowledge is what will steady them when it gets harder than they imagined before. And, frankly, you're not convincing me that it's crystal clear to you. For one thing, I asked you why you joined, and you said:
Osiris wrote:First and foremost for myself, I am a healthy young man capable of contributing and have regreted not stepping up to the plate sooner, no more excuses.
Which is really just telling me that you are physically capable, and regret not doing it sooner. And:
Osiris wrote:I am tired of watching my friends and family die on the news, I am ready to kick to ass. I want to make a difference.
I think this is better. Have you known some people personally who've been killed in the GWOT, or do you mean this figuratively? You want to make a "difference?" What does that mean? You don't like the situation now? If not, then what do you want to change it to and why?

I'm not picking on you. I've had in mind for a while to grab some DEP and make him explain his reasons. You just volunteered with this thread. Follow me here, and we'll make a good example out of you that others will benefit from.
Leatherneck,

First I would like to clarify my frustration, it does not stem from being asked why, more so the tone in which it is being asked, the majority of the people around me don't have the balls to defend themselves let alone someone else.

I have lost friends and family to terrorists, I have a brother in the Navy, and a cousin in the Army, and I know that I am not the only one with family abroad or the only one to have experienced these losses and in so joining the Army I hope to spare someone or some family similar losses. I also wish to repay those who have fought for my freedom by doing the same.

I don’t feel picked on, in fact, I’m honored to have been asked to explain my reasoning in further detail to a Veteran such as yourself.
Hurler of Lightning!
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

Leatherneck if you don't mind I'll add my reason to join also......my neice and nephew, I don't want to see them grow up in a world where they have to be in fear of terrorist attack and war.....therefore I want to kill every sand sucking camel humping one of 'em. Also I know that I can become a Ranger and eventually lead men into battle and back out again. This country was founded by the acts of a few brave patriots and I want to honor what they accomplished........Give me liberty or give me death!!!!
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”