Guam DEP-per intro

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

32Swordsman
US Navy Veteran

Guam DEP-per intro

Post by 32Swordsman »

Hey Y'all!
I found this site while trying to educate myself further before taking that big leap. I'm pretty psyched and can't wait for what might just be the adventure of a lifetime.
I am a 32-year-old, prior U.S. Navy aviation machinist mate that worked on F-14 Tomcats with the VF-32 Swordsmen with two deployments aboard U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt and U.S.S. Enterprise from '95-'99. I got out, went back to college, and graduated in '03 with a degree in communication-cum laude. I worked as a photojournalist for the Pacific Daily News (A Gannett paper) for roughly 3 years as an intern, freelancer, and finally as a staff member. I currently work as a photographer and aide to the Lieutenant Governor of Guam.
After weighing on the decision to join in on the fight on the GWOT for the last 6 years, I finally decided to at least join our local Guard unit and go infantry. They were doing deployments to Africa at the time, and it sounded like a good way to continue to serve the people of my island, and to also serve my country again. After a couple of months of tossing it around and working to get back into shape, I did some thinking and decided, screw it. The government is always going to be here, my family and friends will always be here, but there is something bigger than me going on in the world right now-so I took all of my paperwork from the Guard and strolled down to the active army recruiter.
I was also motivated by an uncle of mine who told me that his son, my younger cousin, his youngest boy joined several months ago. Like a dummy, I asked him, "So is he going reserve, or..." because the kid was probably the last one in the family I would have thought of as Army material. But hasn't history always indicated otherwise? Anyhow, my uncle, a 'nam and desert storm vet replied, "My family doesn't play around with that guard and reserve crap." Made me feel about 2-inches tall. I felt like, look at my uncle who has one son in, one son who was in and got out to go Coast Guard, experienced the death of his daughter's husband in Iraq, and now his youngest boy just joined?! I was like, why should that part of my family sacrifice so much?
I've missed the mil' ever since I got out. There was a lot of things that sucked, as military life is full of b.s., but there were also so many good things about it. Life outside has just not been as fulfilling ever since I got out. I just figured, if I was going to make the decision, it was going to be this year and I would put this decision to rest one way or another. So, here it goes...
I leave at the end of January for a four year tour with a 11x RGV4 Option 40 contract. The recruiter and counselor asked me what I wanted to do, and I said I want to jump out of planes, fast rope, and blow shit up. I want to be a Ranger.
I guess like some people, after Saving Private Ryan and watching and reading Black Hawk Down, Rangers became of interest to me. Since BHD, I wondered, could I do that? Could I, under all of that dificulty, stress, and fear, continue on?
I think now that I am older, I have achieved a level of maturity that will help me achieve this. If I was to do this as an 18-year-old, I probably would give up in a heartbeat. But I want this. I want it badly. I lose sleep thinking about it. I have spent the last year reading, reading, and reading to try and educate myself about Army history, great Army leaders, campaigns, current affairs, and of course, trying to learn as much as I can about the Rangers. There is a lot of history and brave men surrounding the Rangers, and I'd like to be a part of that before I get too old! I can barely get out of bed in the morning without some parts aching, and I want to jump out of planes and stuff? Haha!
Anyhow, I hope to learn as much as I can from all of you guys who gone and done it before me, and maybe I'll meet the other 'Cherries" one day, God willing, in RIP and the Regiment.
Deus Et Patria!
32Swordsman
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Welcome..I think.

I'm not sure where to begin. I would have to assume that by "Hey Ya'll", you have some people you know here. We are a tad bit anal about the way you should address those that have earned the title Ranger.

You did not miss the "mil", you missed the Military.

You've been fighting the same internal battles many of us have, good on you for taking the leap.

I'm sure the welcome wagon will be along any moment now to offer up the milk and cookies.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

And ROE PM inbound...
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
US Navy Veteran

Pardon the address!

Post by 32Swordsman »

Sorry about the address Rangers! Won't let that happen again. Thank you for pointing that out to me Ranger Jurena!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome. 32? You sure you know what you are getting into? It is possible, (I was 30 myself when I became a Ranger) but you will face several challenges the youngsters don't have to worry about.

How is the PT? Are you running 12-13 minute 2 miles? Doing 100 pushups in 2 minutes? 100 situps in 2 minutes? 12 or more dead hang pullups? I hope your numbers are very close to this or will be soon.

Good luck and never never quit.
Please take some time to learn the rules of this forum. It is very different from anyplace else you may have seen online. It is the BEST place to learn how to become a Ranger, if you respect the strict rules of our house.
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome 32Swordsman,

PM Imbound.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Congrats on your decision to pursue a Ranger career. We actually have several members on this site who are Rangers from your neck-of-the-woods. Your Ranger units have done a spectacular job in the GWOT. I wish you luck. Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Welcome and Good Luck............
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Do you have your contract in writing, signed and in hand? I may not be up to date, but I the last I knew, an Option 40 was not available to prior service personnel.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

32Swordsman

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome 32Swordsman.

Moved to proper forum.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
32Swordsman
US Navy Veteran

Thank You Ranger EarthPig and Rangers for the welcome

Post by 32Swordsman »

Ranger EarthPig,
Thank you for the welcome. I know that the Rangers have produced many Guamanian Rangers both past and present, and that these are some of the finest and most proud men on our island. I hope that one day I will be fortunate enough to join your ranks, and that I will not be a disappointment to that pride and professionalism.

Respectfully,
32Swordsman

Ranger Bill,
Thank you for the question. I will double check the answer to your query. All I know is that I sat with the guidance counselor, told him what I wanted, we went though the system, and he had some reservation dates for Warrior Transistion Course, AIT, BAC with dates and all, beginning in late January. Then he had me sign some pages for security clearance, waving my G.I. Bill (which I won't be needing anyway), some form acknowledging that I was volunteering to do all of this, and more. On the document, it states Airborne Ranger. On other parts, it outlines that I will not be allowed to the regiment without passing BAC. It also lists, as previously mentioned, 11X RGV4 Option 40. But I plan on checking up with my counselor. I haven't sworn in yet. They told me I only have to swear in once since I was prior service, and that would be on my ship date. I told myself I would not swear in until I was absolutely, positively content with what I was getting. So, I suppose I am still in a good position if things need to be cleared up. Thank you for the reminder Ranger Bill.

Respectfully,
32 Swordsman
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

Good luck to you becoming a Ranger. One of the finest Rangers that I served with was Efrin Cruz, a Guamanian. E.C. was a LRRP with the 25th Infantry Division, who, like me volunteered for Recondo School and then volunteered to serve with B-36 (3rd Mobile Strike Force, 5th SFGA).

Efrin extended his tour for 6 mos to attend jump school at Dong Ba Thin and was able to become a Ranger (by happenstance). It seemed that Company F, 50th Infantry (LRRP) became Company F, 75th Infantry (Ranger) on February 1, 1969 and all of us became "Rangers" because we were in a Ranger unit.

Cruz received three Silver Stars and three Purple Hearts when I served with him.

RLTW,

Mike
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I understand that the quote "my family is not into this reserve crap" came from your uncle, who allegedly is a veteran himself, but don't let his feelings of the way the Reserve and Guard used to be reflected during the last 2 or 3 decades shape your attitude or feelings towards them.

This war is being fought, and fought well and bravely, by numerous Reserve and Guard units, they have brought honor and commitment to themselves, their units and their country.

I am not in either, but I am still damn proud of them, and grateful for their sacrifices.

Good luck in your journey, I hope this site has what you need to get you started.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Welcome.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992

Return to “Introduction Archive”