By Ranger Puck

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

SouthernBlonde
Sister

By Ranger Puck

Post by SouthernBlonde »

I got this email earlier this week from Ranger Puck and wanted to share it... thought many here would really appreciate it...

-------------------------------------

It was a cool night tonight. There was a slight breeze that made the heat of the day a memory. The parking lot in front of the command group was cleared. The Flags where fluttering softy. But tonight was different. The American flag was at half mast and in front of the pole was two sets of boots, two weapons bayonets thrust into the ground with helmets on top of the butt stocks. In front of the weapons were two Purple Heart medals and two Bronze stars. Two days ago two of our soldiers had been killed and we gathered to honor them.

It really doesn’t matter the situation and the way they died. They were soldiers. And they died doing their duty. Every day they kitted up and went out to train the Afghans how to be soldiers. Every day they faced the uncertainty of a combat environment, and every day they did their duty.

I watched the camp gather to pay their respects to the fallen. Somber faces looking at the ground or smiling nervously. People rushing around trying to insure that proper respect was paid and that the ceremony went off as planned. Protocol trying to make sure that the right people sat in the right place. The music was softly playing Amazing Grace in the background.

The Chaplin mounted the podium and started the ceremony with an invocation. He then introduced the Commanding General. As the General spoke I reflected on how many times I had done this. How many rifles with helmets on them had I seen?

Maybe that’s why I didn’t react when I heard the news. When the word got out that we had lost soldiers I watched the camp descend into an emotional morass. And I felt like I was looking over all their heads. I wondered why I couldn’t conjure up these deep emotions that I was seeing displayed around me. I was issuing instruction and barking at those around me what had to be done. I was more focused. The I realized it was because I was alive.

The one I remember was the first one in Panama. Phillip Lear was his name. We were transferring Casualties from one truck to another. I remember him laying face down on a litter in the back of the truck. I started trying to talk to him as we lifted the litter. The 1SG looked at me and shook his head. I looked down at him and realized that he was dead. And not just him ….everything about him. His uniform was dead. His boots were dead. That one stuck with me. I still think about him often.

The General finished speaking. And the friends of the departed stepped up to the podium to eulogize them. They spoke of the bond of friendship and the enrichment they found in knowing them. I thought of the 30 or so people that would be at home staring at a picture and asking, why? Sons not knowing their fathers. Families torn.

The Chaplin then read from the Book of Romans. And once again lead us in prayer.
As the prayer finished the 1SG marched to head of the ceremony and faced about and started calling the roll. Each soldier he called sounded off with HERE 1SG.
Until he got to the fallin names. He called again……he called a third time. No answer.

The firing party always makes me jump. The volleys fired were crisp and snapped as one in the night air. Before the last echo of the last round died over the hills of Kabul the bugler started playing taps. Every hand in uniform snapped to a salute. I found my eyes glued to the flag at half mast. And felt the familiar tightness in my throat. I was about 7 or 8 at summer camp when I heard taps the first time. It floated out over the lake at camp Gravette and grabbed me then. It still does.

That concluded the ceremony. We started filling by to pay our respects. Everyone stopped and saluted the effigy of the rifles and helmets and saying a silent prayer. Purging the poison and getting back to the business of living. Because tomorrow they have to get kitted up again and they have to go back out and do their duty.
And I guess I'll die explainin' how the things that they complain about are things they could be changin' hopin' someone's gonna care ~ Kris Kristofferson

I am not a Warrior.
The fight is not my job.
My job is to support the Warrior,
at all times and in all ways,
and - with every free breath I draw -
to be thankful for him.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Thank you for sharing this.

The families, the author, and his fellow soldiers who are in harm's way around the world, are in my prayers.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Damned! This gave me goose-bumps and was a nice reminder of what our active and guard/reserve soldiers are doing on our behalf.

Thank you SGM Puck for such a solemn thought.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Cat
Tadpole

Post by Cat »

Great post SB, thanks.
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
elle
Tadpole

Post by elle »

Thanks for this SB.

It is very much appreciated, Ranger rgrpuck.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Great essay. Thanks, Carrie.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

Thanks for sharing.
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

RIP Warriors.

The others still fighting, are blessed to have a man such as SGM Puck with them, leading them and training them.

Godspeed all.

Thanks Little Suga for the post.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

I suppose I will be leading this prayer one day? I am humbled to serve in the shadows of our Warriors.

Send CSM Puck our condolences.
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
2/75 Rgr. Bn. ( July 10-Jun 11)
1-32 IN, 3BCT, 10th MTN, DIV (07-10)
B Co. 1/75 Rgr. Bn. (92-97)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
"As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:7)
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Thanks for the post!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

This is the first time in recent years (that I felt) that reading Ranger Puck's words made me feel as if I were standing amongst all seeing what he saw through his eyes.

RIP Warriors
~S~ (Salute!)
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “The Mosh Pit”