Have some questions for a chaplain...

Basic & AIT
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Have some questions for a chaplain...

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

I'm really not sure where to post this, so I apologize if this is the wrong spot.

I've been trying to find some contact information for a Jewish chaplain in Ft. Benning, but I haven't found a good resource with that information. I have some basic questions regarding some religious matters and to what extent I will be able to practice my religion while in OSUT and then beyond. I know the vast majority of the Army is Christian and that most all accomodations made for the sake of religion are made for Christianity - makes perfect sense. I'd just like to know what to expect... I know that there is no way that I can be fully observant and it is a compromise that I'm willing to make in order to serve my country, but I'd still like a little heads-up before I get there.

So, if anybody can help me obtain the contact information for a Jewish chaplain in Ft. Benning, or direct me towards a resource where I can locate this information, I would be most appreciative.
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Why don't you look up Ft. Benning on the internet. Then find the telephone directory for that post. Find any chaplain on that directory....call him, and ask him. The only Religious leader that we have on this site....may actually head you down the wrong road to redemption.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Im not a Pastor, Im not Jewish, for that matter....Im not even a nice guy but....the service goes over board on the issue of taking care of the spiritual wants and needs. Many of the Chaplains (Christian and Jewish) know the customs and services of the other and assist in that capacity.
A phone call to Fort Benning, Post Chaplains office should get you the answers you need.
Ive seen a great many religions are represented in the service. While the particular customs vary, "reasonable accomodations" are made for the good of the members. I had a roomate (Jewish) who fasted, and was into every facet of his faith. By in large, the Service allows for and accepts "reasonable" customs. It can't interfere with the mission, your duty, or infringe on your fellow soldiers.
Good luck.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

We had a jewish medic at 2/75 who could often be seen wearing his yarmulka inside the aid station. I don't know if he ever wore it under his beret or not.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

The bottom line would prolly be that you would be able to find a jewish chaplin in all likelihood on a base such as Benning. Here is the thing. When ever you are in the field you can practice your religion as best as possible. In the event you get where there is a chaplin irregardless of the religion he is from (and this goes for all concern too not just you) you can attend his services. Just tell the chaplin your religion, he ain't gonna bite ya. Your GOD will allow this since you are praying with others that are praying too. In RVN I attended services held by a chaplin once. He was not of my faith but I do not for one minute think my GOD was upset with my choice of attending.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
ChemLightBattery
Tadpole

Post by ChemLightBattery »

a guy in my platoon (at sand hill) was jewish... he was able to attend temple everytime they had it. he also mentioned that chow was plentiful at such gatherings, which pissed me off because this dude looked like a sack of kosher bagels. i watched him attempt to climb the rope at johnson feild once... it was funny as hell. it took him a while to get up their, but he sure did come down fast! he wore his offical jewish headgear around (woodland BDU pattern). sometimes it got him unwanted attention though, all in all i guess his jewish experience was a good one on the hill.
did i mention he had a lisp too?

have a kosher day

pfc chemlight
Explogan

Post by Explogan »

Ranger Steadfast post reminded me of a quote that pertains to this topic.

"A chaplain visits our company. In a tired voice, he prays for the strength of our arms and for the souls of the men who are to die. We do not consider his denomination. Helmets come off. Catholics, Jews, and Protestants bow their heads and finger their weapons. It is the Front-line religion: God and the Garand."
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Explogan wrote:"A chaplain visits our company. In a tired voice, he prays for the strength of our arms and for the souls of the men who are to die. We do not consider his denomination. Helmets come off. Catholics, Jews, and Protestants bow their heads and finger their weapons. It is the Front-line religion: God and the Garand."
How timely, I was just thinking about that quote. Isn't the God of war is the same in every religion?

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde

Return to “About OSUT”