Introduction: Josh

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

PAhunter21
Ranger

Introduction: Josh

Post by PAhunter21 »

Hello Rangers. My name is Josh and I am 22 years old. I am about to enter my senior year of college in the Fall to complete a BS in Environmental Engineering. Once that is out of the way I want to join the Army. My father served during the first Iraq War and since I was a child it has been my dream to join the military. College has taught me the value of being surrounded by greatness; you sit with the smart kids, you'll get good grades, ya lift with the linebackers, and you get results far greater than you could on your own. Seems to me this should apply to the military as well and that's why I would like to serve with the 75th.

Well there is the Why of it I guess. As to the When, I will finish my classes in May 2012 with an internship in June and have my degree by mid July. I cannot join until then but that will not stop me from being as prepared as possible by that time. I am a starting safety on the football team so physically I am in pretty good shape although there is always room for improvement. Mentally, well from what I've heard either ya have it or ya don't so I guess I'll find out.

My dad put me through a PT test and here's where I'm at:

PU: 92
SU: 89
2 mile run: 13:29* (on a treadmill, I have a stress fracture in my foot and trainers orders are no road-running for another few days so that score could change but it's as close as I have right now)
pull ups: 21

I joined the forum for advice and answers and from what I've read this site has both. I do have a few questions as to when the best time to enlist would be and how early I can sign up and still finish my degree before Basic but I'm sure those answers are buried in these forums somewhere. I would like to thank the administrators and the Rangers on this site and I will continue to use this valuable resource to prepare me for my future career.
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

PAhunter21

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome PAhunter21.

I could give you the answers to questions in your last paragraph but it's been recently answered before - so search this site for your answers.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
PAhunter21
Ranger

Re: Introduction: Josh

Post by PAhunter21 »

Ranger Steadfast,

I'm sure you are correct and that the answers are easily found with a little research. I will begin that research immediately.

Thanks for welcome
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Post by Chuck_Finley »

Josh, the search feature is your friend. Use of it prior to asking questions will aid in avoiding the cyber-smoking you'll receive for asking the same questions that have been asked and answered repeatedly (do you like repeating yourself?). Plus, it encourages initiative and self reliance on your part. :mrgreen:
B 3/75 90-92
PAhunter21
Ranger

Post by PAhunter21 »

Ranger Chuck_Finley,

Thanks for the advice. Between the search feature on this site and others and talking to a recruiter I think I have my prematurely asked questions answered. Thanks again for the advice I'll be sure to exhaust my other options before posting questions on this site.
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
PAhunter21
Ranger

Post by PAhunter21 »

Well Rangers, it has been more than a year and I thought I would post an update. I had problems during my physical last summer with my ears popping as I mentioned in another post. SInce I had one more year of school left I wasn't that concerned since I thought I would get another chance this summer. I went back to the recruiting station after graduating in May and I was told that I would get another chance since I would have to go to MEPS to reinspect anyway. Long story short, the recruiter was mistaken and the MEPS personell refused to retest my ears which was frustrating since I know I can equalize them on command now. So that left me with few options. I was told that since this would be the second time I had come to MEPS and not signed it could be impossible for me to get back in again since it would look like I was wasting the Army's time and money. That made sense to me when I looked at it form their point of view so after some thought at the station I signed an 11x contract. I have hopes that I will be able to get an option 40 at OSUT but either way I will be working hard up to my ship date. So the dream is still alive and it's nice to have my future nailed down now and having a goal and a concrete date will help motivate me even more. Thanks to all the Rangers and members of this site, it has been a great resource and a real motivator for me.
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

Josh,
My son also had 'hearing" issues. He ending up taking the same route as you. As a little encouragement, he is now with the 3rd Ranger Battalion and currently in Ranger School...Moral of the story is...if you want it...go get it.
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Where did you go to school? Consider using the search feature to resolve your issue with your ears. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PAhunter21
Ranger

Post by PAhunter21 »

Ranger Jim, my degree will be from Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, but I did some jumping around for various reasons (money) including a few community colleges and online courses. As far as the ears go I did a great deal of searching to this forum and got great advice last year when I had my first physical. It was simple lack of preparation I didn't know what the "ear popping" test was and I blew it. I got advice here that said basically do what you have to to get a retest and when I finally did get back to MEPS they refused to retest. So I'll just have to make it in the old fashioned way.

Bluskiesalways, thank you for taking the time and sharing his story with me. Stories like your son's make me know I made the right choice and I hope to follow in his footsteps. Thanks again.
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome back PAHunter.

I've upgraded your title and now you can update your sigline to site SOP.

Subject: Signature Line
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
PAhunter21
Ranger

Post by PAhunter21 »

Wow, seems like I wrote these posts decades ago. I guess a SITREP is in order. I'm happy to report that my ear popping failure was no hindrance to being give the opportunity to attend Airborne and RASP. I was offered an option 40 during OSUT and gave it all I had until I ended up here in Washington a few months ago with 2nd Batt. I know my challenges are only beginning but look forward to the chance to take them on.
I looked to this site as often as I could during my training for information, motivation, and advice. I just dug up my old password and username so I'm happy to be able login again and provide an update. I hope anyone reading this hoping to make it to Regiment that is running into frustrating complications like I did takes away a good feeling from this. God knows men have overcome more then you or I could ever imagine to make to this unit so don't let some paper pusher at MEPS tell you what's possible. I understand not everyone gets the opportunity I did and if you can get it in a contract do it but if being a Ranger is your goal don't give up just because your road there may not be guaranteed.
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulations Ranger PAHunter welcome back.

We would appreciate it if you went to Letters From School forum & give us an update sitrep of your experience going through BAC PreRASP & RASP & finally to your Assigned Battalion.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
PAhunter21
Ranger

Post by PAhunter21 »

Thank you Ranger Steadfast. I'll write up a summary as soon as I get a chance. Three day weekend so I should be able to scrape one together soon. I really wish I would have been able to log in during my training so I could have a fresh perspective to share but the big moments are burned into my memory I think so I'll do my best.
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

PAhunter21 wrote:Thank you Ranger Steadfast. I'll write up a summary as soon as I get a chance. Three day weekend so I should be able to scrape one together soon. I really wish I would have been able to log in during my training so I could have a fresh perspective to share but the big moments are burned into my memory I think so I'll do my best.
Proud of you. I'm looking for your letter from school!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”