Big road block.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
EV22
Embryo

Big road block.

Post by EV22 »

Rangers, Recruiters, and current/retired Army personnel,

On my path to enlisting into the Army with 11x Option 40, I need a moral waiver for a possession charge of marijuana. I don't use any drugs, nor have I ever failed any drug test. I was caught with it on me due to the fact that my friends use and a police officer identified me as having the paraphernalia. I took the heat, but, after speaking with the recruiters, one has said that he has seen windows open for these charges/waivers, and the other says that USAREC hasn't been accepting these waivers since 2008.

Now WTF? Isn't there some kind of process for highly motivated individuals so that they can't be put into the same category as actual drug users? I called USAREC to talk to them about any thing I can do to work around this. The advisor at USAREC even told me that half the quota for soldiers has been filled (30,000 out of 62,000 for the year) and that these waivers will probably not be accepted any time soon.

This is a huge mental blow to me because I know I am better than 95% of the applicants that get accepted to enlist. If there is anything that can be said or done, on the thread, or in private, please let me know. I do not want to cause a scene at the recruiting station or USAREC but I feel as if I am wearing out my welcome. (The station commander at the recruiting station went as far as to tell me, "What are you still doing here? Your not getting in without a waiver.")

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I even wrote a letter for the recruiting station to pass along to whoever can look at it. (If you would like to see what I wrote, send me a PM.)

Thank you for reading.

EV22
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re: Big road block.

Post by NeverSayDie »

PM inbound EV
Last edited by NeverSayDie on October 13th, 2010, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You want to know the fastest way in for you? Start the process for getting the charge pardoned by the governor of your state.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
EV22
Embryo

Post by EV22 »

goon175 wrote:You want to know the fastest way in for you? Start the process for getting the charge pardoned by the governor of your state.
Ranger Goon175, I know you say it as a longshot, but any shot to me, is a good one. This will be tried.

Also, I was thinking of setting up an appointment with the town Judge that handled my case and see how I could go about or he could advise on a best course of action to achieve enlistment. Would that be rude? I don't want to overstep any boundaries but I'll take any longshots you have to offer. Thank you.

-EV22
EV22
Embryo

Post by EV22 »

xray wrote:Goon answered it for you.... get your record expunged, dropped or sealed by your jurisdiction.
Ranger Xray,

I entered into a conditional discharge, which is a Pre-Trial Intervention program in New Jersey. It is for first time offenders to get a slap on the wrist. When the 6 months of probation was completed, the court dismissed it. I even got a letter saying so. The Army considers me guilty anyways because I "served" a period of time.

Expungement doesn't work either, atleast to the Army.

This information is coming from my recruiters, who are the ones that set me up at MEPS. They are all about loyalty and mentioned that the recruiters all talk.. I am trying to play this to best of knowledge without crossing any boundaries.
Last edited by EV22 on October 14th, 2010, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Pre trial diversions or interventions, ACOD, etc. is all considered "other adverse actions" and is the same as a conviction in the Army's eyes.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

First, if that is you goal- never quit, never die and never take "no" for an answer. That includes from USAREC who gets a billion similar calls to yours. Don't forget; they don't personally know you and so are wisely very middle-of-the-road.

Also, keep in mind the guys on this board who call themselves "Rangers" are the "best-of-the-best". They are always out front, never quit, never surrender, always complete the mission, always stay focused and would give their lives for what they believe in. There is no second place, quitters or crybabies who take "no" for an answer..

Now to business. If I remember correctly, the Moral Waiver/DA Form 61 allows for recommendations from people directly related to your situation. So if this is what you really want and can prove to them you are worthy, then go speak with them. The judge, arresting LEO and prosecutor. Ask them for a letter of recommendation. I don't see any reasonable person who truly believes you are contrite, polite and motivated, turning down that request. Especially given what you are trying to accomplish.

Be articulate, confident, contrite and convincingly someone that wants to make a difference when you speak to these folks. Know EXACTLY what you want to say before contact. Give them the facts of your case, since they are involved in many situations. Allow them time to review if necessary.

If you get this information to USAREC (keeping in mind there are NO guarantees) it should greatly help your case.

Also, be multi-dimensional and simultaneously pursue some of the other suggestions above.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
EV22
Embryo

Post by EV22 »

ZoneIV wrote:So how long ago were you charged?
Ranger ZoneIV,

The arrest occured in late December 2009 or early January 2010. I was put into the PTI program on March 21st, 2010, completed/dismissed on September 21st, 2010.

Soldier C-MAC,

Thank you, another post that reinforces the fact of why I want to join the 75th.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

ZoneIV wrote:
EV22 wrote:
The arrest occured in late December 2009 or early January 2010. I was put into the PTI program on March 21st, 2010, completed/dismissed on September 21st, 2010.
I am going to be blunt. The act you stated in the initial post of this thread is the act of a 14-15 year old kid and not a 24 year old man.
EV22 wrote:I don't use any drugs, nor have I ever failed any drug test. I was caught with it on me due to the fact that my friends use and a police officer identified me as having the paraphernalia. I took the heat..
Nice friends you have their to allow their self-described non-druggie friend take the heat for this type of thing. Really stand-up guys. Good luck in getting a waiver. This self-less act of yours to take a "hit" is so recent it is ridiculous. I know I wouldn't consider hiring you for numerous reasons based upon what you have written and I have a great deal of tolerance.

Perhaps you need to use this as a sign that it is time to GROW THE FUCK UP. If you think I am being unfairly harsh on you, I have held back perhaps 80% of what I am tempted to say
You read my mind.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
EV22
Embryo

Post by EV22 »

ZoneIV wrote:
EV22 wrote:
I am going to be blunt. The act you stated in the initial post of this thread is the act of a 14-15 year old kid and not a 24 year old man.
EV22 wrote:I don't use any drugs, nor have I ever failed any drug test. I was caught with it on me due to the fact that my friends use and a police officer identified me as having the paraphernalia. I took the heat..
Nice friends you have their to allow their self-described non-druggie friend take the heat for this type of thing. Really stand-up guys. Good luck in getting a waiver. This self-less act of yours to take a "hit" is so recent it is ridiculous. I know I wouldn't consider hiring you for numerous reasons based upon what you have written and I have a great deal of tolerance.

Perhaps you need to use this as a sign that it is time to GROW THE FUCK UP. If you think I am being unfairly harsh on you, I have held back perhaps 80% of what I am tempted to say

Ranger ZoneIV,

My opinion means nothing to you, which I understand. But, to clear things up I will explain to you the situation so that I may not seem as immature as you assume.

My friend turned 24, so he invited some of us over because he was all amped up to drink and head out. We went over there and by that time he was already drunk, now I have been around marijuana and have tried it before, but I am not a habitual user. So, being the idiot he is, started a fire on his desk which he thought was safe, inside of some sort of fake fire pit. Obviously most of us advised against it but sometimes people that drunk will not take no for an answer.

During this time, he said, "Yo pack up the bowl." Not thinking of it as a big deal, I started to go ahead and do this. A police officer shined his light through the window and stares right at me holding the bowl and <1 gram. The reason for the call was that neighbors complained about a fire, so the police showed up and boom, that was it. Tried to hide it, but it was found.

You have every right to consider me immature, and I do not consider that person to be much of a friend, but the situation itself sucked. Maybe the Army will be my "Grow The Fuck Up" contract.

-EV22
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It's not us you need to convince. C-Mac gave you a a good option that might have some traction.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Recruitment Process”