SitRep

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Bigger Konkrete
US Army

SitRep

Post by Bigger Konkrete »

I've posted my introduction and everything so you most likely know my situation already.

Anyways, my retention NCO finally got his shit together and got in contact with an LNO or someone at Batallion. They faxed a paper saying they aren't accepting 11B's right now. It's all support MOS's. I'm not reclassing. I don't have anything against support MOS's but it's really not my gig.

My CO is telling me the closest he can get me is to go to one of the RTB's. That's not what I want either.

I'm open for suggestions. Should I wait it out? Go to Ranger School and then see what happens down the road?

One of my goals is to end up in a LRS Unit. I just don't know much about them or where they are. I'm trying to progress forward but I just keep getting shut down.

Suggestions?
snafu
Ranger

Re: SitRep

Post by snafu »

If you heard it from an LNO or someone at Bn then you can take it to the bank that they aren't accepting 11b's...as weird as that may sound, it does happen. My advice would be to move on and get your Tab ASAP. You can try to do another 4187 down the road but I'd do it sooner rather than later. LRS would be a good way to gain experience and who knows, you could shoot for RRC right from there...good luck.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Bigger Konkrete
US Army

Roger Ranger snafu.

I'm going to start looking into LRS units or the RSTA units as I believe they're called now. I want to go to Ranger School but I'm going to wait to try and go until I get to another unit. I don't want to go and then be stuck in mech world for another year of retainability.

I'm guessing you just reenlist to go to an RSTA unit? I don't really know much about retention and shit.
Bigger Konkrete
US Army

Now, I'm just going to wait the 90 days after I get back from Iraq and see if They are accepting 11B's by then. Ranger Batt. is where I really want to end up so I think it's in my best interest to wait. I do respect your advice Ranger snafu. It's just that I've been in the Army for a little over 2 years and I can stand to wait a few more months to end up where I want to be. Plus, it gives me time to get in even better shape.

Not really worried about a bonus either. I doubt I'm going to get one anyways so, no big deal.

I know I've been jumping around a lot but when I think about it, I just want to be a Ranger. Everyone keeps trying to talk me out of it so much that it just pisses me off. People are scared to try it. I think that's what makes it so appealing.

Anyways, I'm waiting this out till I can get what I want.
Bigger Konkrete
US Army

Question: How fucked would I be if I did go to RTB with no Tab?

I've heard guys there with no Tab are pretty much just detail bitches. I've also heard a lot of guys there that don't have their Tabs were just assigned there and have no desire to go try and become Rangers. Basically, I just want to know if I went there and showed some motivation and desire that I actually want to become a Ranger if They would help push things along for me.

I don't really know what's rumor and what's not.

I'm trying to exhaust all options on getting out of 1st AD and becoming a Ranger.
Bigger Konkrete
US Army

Any opinions/suggestions?
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Tabless dudes at RTB are detail bitches. It does get you closer to a shot at Ranger school. 4RTB sux but you will be right there where it all starts. You can probably get RSLC too. It doesn't cost any money to send you to RSLC. I saw alot more dudes from 4th go to Ranger school than all the other camps combined
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Bigger Konkrete
US Army

Thanks for the reply Ranger RRDTm3.

I'm not going to go RTB route anymore. It doesn't sound like the odds are that good for what I want to do.

Right now, I'm looking at reenlisting to go to the 101st, getting deployed with them, getting some experience and then hopefully getting a Ranger School slot after that.

I don't know if 101st still has a LRS Unit but if they do, I'm going to try and get into that. Hopefully be able to get some LRS experience and then possible trying out for RRD.

I don't know what they're standards are as in if you have to be raised in Batt to have any success or guys from the Regular Army have a decent success rate, too.

There's obviously a lot I don't know, which is why I'm posting and open for suggestions.

Return to “Recruitment Process”