JAG Corps

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
steelhead
Embryo

JAG Corps

Post by steelhead »

I am a 29 yr old lawyer who is applying to the JAG Corps but also wants to go to Ranger School and serve his country in Iraq (or wherever needed). If I am offered a JAG Corps commission, is there any way I can get to Ranger School before or after JAG School? Or, should I enlist with an option 40, go through (or attempt to go through) Basic, AIT, Airborne, Ranger School, then apply to the JAG Corps? It seems to me that a JAG Officer with real military experience is twice as valuable and respected as one without. Any advice or info on what the options are would be greatly appreciated.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

the only way you'll do some Rangering as a JAG officer is if you serve as the JAG officer for the 75TH. if they even have one.

not going to talk you out of anything, but think about what kind of asset you want to be, and make your decision from there.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

hit_it wrote:the only way you'll do some Rangering as a JAG officer is if you serve as the JAG officer for the 75TH. if they even have one.

not going to talk you out of anything, but think about what kind of asset you want to be, and make your decision from there.
Yes we have a JAG officer. Only 1 though.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
steelhead
Embryo

Post by steelhead »

SFC Hit_it and Ranger H8train:
Thank you for the information and advice. I have a JAG Corps interview on Monday 1/31, although I have a feeling that she (the JAG Field Screening Officer) won't be able to answer many of my questions about Ranger School. This site has been very informative, not to mention entertaining. It took me a little while to get used to the avatars. The ones for newts are fucking hysterical. Even if I wasn't a civilian I think I'd want my avatar to be one of those old school ladies proudly showing off her big and beautiful all-natural titties. priceless.
-Regards

Return to “Recruitment Process”