Question to "Doc" or anyone with severe back probl

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Mason
Soldier

Post by Mason »

Xducer,
My wife had 3 lower lumbar back procedures done last year on her L3,L4 and L5. All three had to deal with bulging discs or compressed discs. On her L3, the way it was explained to us, was that the disc is like a jelly doughnut. When it is compressed it flattens and fluid leaks out of it. In this case when the disc spread it pressed a nerve. To correct they had to trim the disc to remove the pressure on the nerve. The other procedures she had on the L4 and L5 we for bulging discs. During those they just cut away part of the disc. The total stay in the hospital for this was 48hr per time and around 6weeks to recovery. She still goes to physical therapy off and on and has to receive blocks in her back every now and then. The Ortho doc said she will never feel normal again and if it happens again she will have to have a spinal fusion. This is where they take 2-3 disc and make them one with graphs from other parts of the body, the hip is a common area they draw from. As for your upper back with your C and T's I am not familiar with those type of problems having never delt with them. If I can be of any help with any questions you might have please feel free contact me if needed. I hope you feel better.

Mason
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Keep seeing the doctor and following up regularly. This goes way beyond any past B.A.S. cases, and is beyond my field. I can only suggest this - don't do anything stupid that could make the situation worse and before doing something stupid make sure that the Doctor approves of it. This includes anything strenuous. Like certain forms of PT, heavy lifting, or simply riding a rollercoaster with friends/family!!!

Don't mess with the situation, use lots of caution.
Thursday
Tadpole

Re: Question to "Doc" or anyone with severe back p

Post by Thursday »

Xducer, while I am neither an Orthopedic Surgeon nor a chiropractor, I have recently finished an extensive anatomy and physiology class and am currently working on the spinal cord and the Central Nervous System in paramedic class. While what I offer isn't by any means spot on, I hope it can give you and idea of what is going on with your diagnosis.

So, if I were to be transporting you in my ambulance, and read the doctor's diagnosis, this is how I would translate it for myself.
Xducer wrote:
MRI which was done 11/28/04 revealed extensive DDD (Degenerative Disk Disorder ) and DJD ( Degenerative Joint Disease ), with the following specific problems:

Cervical: C5-6
( middle neck ) disk bulge with compromise of the nerve root bilaterally and associated with spondylosis.
There are 2 vertebrae in your neck that are slipping out of line and causing bad shit to happen to your spine
C6-7 central and right posterolateral protrusion with compromise of the right nerve root.

there are another 2 vertebrae in your neck, lower down, that are prodruding back towards your ass and out towards the sides of your body, and are annoying a nerve there.
C7-T1 left posterolateral disk bulge without nerve root or spinal stenosis.

Another 3 vertebrae, just below the ones above, are out of line, but aren't aggrevating a nerve like the one before, and arent contributing to your spine going out of shape/ form.

Thoracic: T3-4 left paracentral disk protrusion wich results in central canal stenosis.

2 vertebrae in your middle back are out of line and resulting in bad shape of your spine
T4-5 annular
( circular like ) tear
T6-7 annular
( circular like ) tear

Lumbar: L2-3 circumferential disk bulge combined with spondylosis resulting in bilateral neuoforamina comprimise.
I think this has something to do with the opeinings in your vertebrae, but I'm sure its way more involved than that description.
L3-4 facet hypertrophy and spondylosis
The cells on the smooth parts of your vertebrae disks are increaseing in size, and thus, pushing the other disks above and below it, out of line
L4-5 caudal extrusion of disk material without stenosis
I think this means that the 'goo' inside the vertebrae is being pushed out from the bottom of the disk. Not totally sure about that
L5-S1 circumferential disk bulge with compromise of nerve roots bilatterally and facet hypertrophy.
Disks in your lower back are out of line, aggervating nerve cells and are increasing size on their smooth faces.

you can also get some pretty good info here: http://www.spine-dr.com/site/home.html

it seems to be a pretty good site with some good info on a buch of different problems and helpfull hints.

I hope this helped.
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

I retired with about 20% disability, for which I get a tiny little check - but the disability was for 4 herniated discs in my lower back, and the beginnings of arthritis in my upper back. Since retirement it's gotten worse, and no treatment has worked, except managing the pain through opiods. That's OK, except that, eventually I want to stop with the pills, pain or no pain, and it's going to be difficult - Those babies are addictive as hell, so I know that when I go off of them, there is going to be a price to pay. Also, there are side effects to consider with the opiods: irriatability, forgetfulness, lethargy, etc. So, I recommend that you be VERY careful with the "feel-good" pills.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97

Return to “Medical Issues”