Best route to become a Ranger...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
BC Bit
Egg

Best route to become a Ranger...

Post by BC Bit »

I enlisted in the National Guard last spring as a Cavalry Scout and i am currently a PFC. My highest goal currently is to be Ranger qualified. I joined the national guard because i am an Army ROTC cadet and wanted time to finish college. I have decided that i no longer want to complete ROTC and will finish up my college at a later date, then possibly go to OCS after i spend quite a while enlisted. Therefore i am more than ready to switch to active service if it will increase my chances of going to Ranger school as soon as possible.

My problem is that i do not know the best path to follow if i want to get to Ranger school in the next couple of years. My current situation is that i go to basic training and AIT for the national guard this upcoming february to be a cav scout. Does anyone have any advice on if i should stick with the guard or go active, and what i should do from there?
Last edited by BC Bit on December 8th, 2004, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

do some reading.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Justin480

Post by Justin480 »

Funny thing, almost the same thing happened to me. My cousin is a National Guard Recruiter and he talked me into joining the NG. After a couple of days I realized that it wasnt what I really wanted to do. He knew I wanted to become a Ranger but he kept insisting that I could just switch over after basic and just volunteer for everything. I think he is full of it and it can't be that easy, so I enlisted into the Army as Infantry with an Option 40. That way I get to go to RIP as long as I pass OSUT and Airborne.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Welcome,Cadet.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “Recruitment Process”