Introduction - Robbie87

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Robbie87
Embryo

Introduction - Robbie87

Post by Robbie87 »

Good morning Rangers, past and present.

My name is Robert, I am 29 years old and I live in Michigan. Thank you for allowing me to join this site.

I was born and raised in South Africa, and have been a resident of the U.S for the past 3 years. I have never believed in being given anything, since I have earned everything I have ever had. And the same goes for this. I want to earn the right to call myself a citizen of this country. And what better way to do it than in the service of her and those around me? I have ended up on this corner of the internet because I also believe that if I am going to do something, I will be the best that I can be. And through countless hours of research, I keep seeing one name pop up. Rangers. And inevitably, here I am.

I have already spoken to a recruiter, and I am scheduled to go take my ASVAB next week Tuesday. Even after reading everything I can find, on this site and others, I still have a few questions to ask, and I hope this group will be able to help me find the answers I am looking for.

As for fitness, I am not going to blow smoke up anyone's backside - I suck... But only for right now. I have started my workout routine and I will remedy that situation.
Again, thank you for letting me be here, and I look forward to what will be the hardest, but best time of my life.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Robbie87

Post by Jim »

Welcome Robert, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. You said you contacted a recruiter; what is he telling you? Never, never quit!

You may find this link helpful:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site, Robert. Post an APFT, to include pull-ups, so we know where you stand physically. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Robbie87
Embryo

Post by Robbie87 »

Thank you Ranger Jim.

Not much more to tell. Like I said I was born and raised in South Africa. I'm about 6'7" and about 175lbs. Worried that my height might stop me from going to jump school. (Still cannot find an answer on that) And I want to be a Ranger because I want to be a part of something greater, and to be the best that I can be. And from what I have seen, that means more than just graduating RASP and earning a place in Bat. It means always pushing for more. And I am 110% sure that I want that in my life.

My recruiter is kind of avoiding the subject of an 11X with Option 40. He just keeps saying to take the ASVAB and then me and him will talk about it. I have my test on 4/26/16.

Roger Ranger JD - I will post an APFT ASAP.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Robert.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Robbie87
Embryo

Post by Robbie87 »

Self administered APFT scores are -

Push Ups - 41
Sit Ups - 54
2 mile - 19:38
Pull Ups - 7

I have a lot of work to do. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Right now I just do as many of each as I can in 30 minute intervals and I run every other day.

Thank you Ranger Charlie. I am happy to be here.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Robbie87 wrote:Self administered APFT scores are -

Push Ups - 41
Sit Ups - 54
2 mile - 19:38
Pull Ups - 7

I have a lot of work to do. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Right now I just do as many of each as I can in 30 minute intervals and I run every other day.

Thank you Ranger Charlie. I am happy to be here.
Two things here, first; you're right, your PT in lacking. There is a lot of advice here in the PT threads that can help you to improve in all areas. Find a program and stick to it. Most programs fail because we fail to give it our all in following the program.
Second; who gave you permission to rename one of our Ranger members. You need to apologize to Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV and I want you to look at his signature line and then give me a write up on Charlie Rangers of Vietnam. It would also do you good to read Charlie Rangers by John L. Rotundo and Don Ericson and Of Their Own Accord by Gary Dolan, both extremely good books. Remember, 'Attention to Detail' is of utmost importance if you want to be a Ranger. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Robbie87
Embryo

Post by Robbie87 »

Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV - I apologize for the shorthand of your screen name sir. I meant no disrespect. It was inexcusable and I will make sure it does not happen again.

C Company (RGR) 75th Infantry (A) IFFV:

First activated on Feb. 1st, 1969, by incorporating the Company E "Typhoon Patrollers" into the new unit, which was designated C Company, or, Charlie Co.

The unit was based out of Ahn Ke and operated under the control of First Field Force (FFF). Between the 4th and the 22nd of February, 1969, 3 platoons did recon in the Ha Roi region. In the same month, 2 platoons supported the Phu Bon Province Advisory Campaign, starting on the 26th of February until the 8th of March. During March of '69, Lt. Gen. C.A Corcoran assumed command of FFF. In late April, Charlie Co. shifted support to 173rd Airborne Brigade for operation Washington Green in Binh Dinh Province, where they conducted surveilance of enemy infiltration routes through the western mountains of the province towards the coastline. At the end of the same month, one platoon dispatched to the Ia Drang valley, followed by 2 platoons being kept with ROK Capital Division doing diversionary and surveilance operations thru to the middle of July.
On the 21st of July, Charlie Co. was attached to Task Force South in the southernmost FFF territory operating against Viet Cong strongholds on the boundry of II and III Corp tactical zones. Under the command of Maj. B.V Holt, the company served as the combat patrol arm of Task Force South until the 25th of March, 1970. Using flexible patrol arrangements and creative insertion methods, radio deception, nocturnal employment and stay behind infiltration techniques, their proficiency flourished, and MACV expressed extreme satisfaction with Charlie Co. results.
Charlie Co. was moved to Pleiku city on the 29th of March 1970 and placed under control of Aerial 7th Squadron of 7th Cavalry, where they conducted 32 patrols in the western border areas of the central highlands. On April 19th, 1970, Charlie Co. was attached to 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry and was targeted against the 95th NVA Regiment in the Mang Yang Pass area of Binh Dinh Province. Starting on May 4th, 1970, Charlie Co. was opconned to 4th Infantry division. The next day, operation Binh Tay I, the invasion of Cambodia's Ratanaktri Province started. While fighting was fierce, and even adverse at times, Charlie Co. had 30 patrol observations of enemy personnel, 5 NVA killed and 15 weapons captured. On the 24th of May, 1970, Charlie Co. was pulled from Cambodia and released from 4th Infantry Division control.
On the 28th of May was rushed to Dalat to recon NVA movement to the city. Only 7 sightings were made, but and enemy cache was found with over 2000lbs of medical supplies and 50lbs of equipment. The new commander of Charlie Co., Maj. D.L. Hudson, described May, June and July of 1970 as "involving a dizzying pattern of operations". Charlie Co. operated in Binh Dinh, Binh Thuan, Lam Dong, Pleiku and Tuyen Duc Provinces. on 26th of July, 1970, Charlie Co. returned to the command of 173rd Airborne in support of operation Washington Green in Binh Dinh province, using small unit ambushes, limited raids and pathfinder assistance for heliborne operations.
During August of 1970, Charlie Co. was attached to 2nd Brigade, 4th Infantry division for recon at Secret Base 226, discovered by the 173rd. In mid November of 1970, Charlie Co. was attached to 17th Aviation group, and it remained under either Aviation or 173rd Airborne for most of its remaining Vietnam service. On October 15th, 1971, Charlie Co. commenced final stand-down, and 10 days later, on October 25th, Charlie Co. was officially inactivated.

Ranger rangerjd - Thank you for the book recommendations, I will certainly read them. Also, I have went through the suggested feeds, and have found a routine that I will stick to to reach my goals, along with a few other resources.
Robbie87
Embryo

Post by Robbie87 »

Apologies, it would seem my computer had a brain fart. I did not mean to post the same thing 4 times.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Robbie87 wrote:Apologies, it would seem my computer had a brain fart. I did not mean to post the same thing 4 times.
Fixed.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Robbie87
Embryo

Post by Robbie87 »

Thank you, Ranger Jim.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Any new developments? How are you doing?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”