Green Hooches in Mountain Phase

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
toad
Ranger

Green Hooches in Mountain Phase

Post by toad »

I heard a couple years back that they did away with the green hooches in mountain phase, and that they had placed one of them in the Smithsonian. Can anybody verify this story? And could you tell me what part of the museum the hooch is in?
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I don't know about the smithsonian, but if they had a flat bed truck available, you can bet that a few retired RI's have them in their backyard. There is one that serves as the museum for the Mountain Ranger Camp.
Bell

Post by Bell »

A museum? Makes ya wonder if it's the one with YOUR name on the wall. They wouldn't let us start fires in the stove but our body heat warmed it up. You could actually tell the difference. It was miserably cold and raining when I was there. Those huts sucked.

RLTW
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

Terry Welshan wrote:
Bell wrote:A museum? Makes ya wonder if it's the one with YOUR name on the wall. They wouldn't let us start fires in the stove but our body heat warmed it up. You could actually tell the difference. It was miserably cold and raining when I was there. Those huts sucked.

RLTW
Bell
Kinda makes you feel old to think that your old hootch might be a "Museum", would that make us "artifacts" Bell ?
Nah, that hootch might be an artifact but we're still just FOG's. :D

RLTW
Bell
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Bell wrote:
Terry Welshan wrote:
Bell wrote:A museum? Makes ya wonder if it's the one with YOUR name on the wall. They wouldn't let us start fires in the stove but our body heat warmed it up. You could actually tell the difference. It was miserably cold and raining when I was there. Those huts sucked.

RLTW
Bell
Kinda makes you feel old to think that your old hootch might be a "Museum", would that make us "artifacts" Bell ?

RLTW

Bell
In 87, they started tearing them down after getting the new building up and running. A lot of us went down to where our old hootches were (for those of us that could remember and started to try and find the grafitti we left behind and surgically remove it with a chainsaw or something else. Mine had been lost in the shuffle so I didn't get lucky. A couple of others did and they kept it.

BTW and for the record so the GAO don't come after my ass, we got the go ahead from the SGM beforehand. Hell, they were going to demolish them anyway.

They were talking about putting one in the Smithsonian and saving one at the camp for posterity. I know one survived. Don't know about the Smithsonian deal. One of these days, I'm going back for either the Critter Cook-out or Gold Rush for a looksy.

Might as well kick the #@& out of someone currently there while I'm at it! :lol: :twisted:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
toad
Ranger

Post by toad »

centermass wrote:
Bell wrote:
Terry Welshan wrote: Kinda makes you feel old to think that your old hootch might be a "Museum", would that make us "artifacts" Bell ?

RLTW

Bell
In 87, they started tearing them down
Are you sure it was '87? I went through in '88 and we were still using them.
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

toad wrote:
centermass wrote:
Bell wrote: Nah, that hootch might be an artifact but we're still just FOG's. :D

RLTW

Bell
In 87, they started tearing them down
Are you sure it was '87? I went through in '88 and we were still using them.
You're probably right. The construction and demolition started in 87 and didn't finish until later on. (FOG moment) The overhaul including the BEQ as well. I moved into a trailer on 9 mile road as we all got our moving papers.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75

rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

I was in class 3-88, and the construction was underway but far from over .

I was in Shack #81.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

rgrpuck wrote:I was in class 3-88, and the construction was underway but far from over .

I was in Shack #81.
That one was eventually burned down and EPA-CDC hazmat/bio containment teams were called in because of the horrific, crotch cricket infestation forensic's traced back to some student who stayed in #81 in CL 3-88. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

centermass wrote:Might as well kick the #@& out of someone currently there while I'm at it! :lol: :twisted:
Open house is 7 May...the only thing seperating you from an ass kicking is opportunity (and a badge). It will actually be great fun and I will act as a body guard for anyone who comes so you don't receive the "Deliverance treatment" while you're here.
Last edited by Silverback on April 20th, 2005, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Silverback wrote:
centermass wrote:Might as well kick the #@& out of someone currently there while I'm at it! :lol: :twisted:
Open house is 7 May...the only thing seperating you from an ass kicking is opportunity (and a badge). It will actually be great fun and I will act as a body guard for anyone who comes so you don't the "Deliverance treatment" while you're here.
da da da da dung dung dung dung............ :lol:

Love to take you up on it SB, but my daughter graduates USF, Fl (with honors, yeehaw! Pre-mature, proud daddy moment, sorry) on that same day. Hmmmmm, Lumpkin County or sunny Tampa Bay?

I'll get back to ya as this one is a difficult choice!

BTW, don't let the badge stop ya. As it is, I've been training diligently under the guise and watchful eye of my master, master kenpo149 who guarantees to make me a viablely trained, lethal weapon...swoosh, swisshh.....and a master of the mind games only a banned dork can produce......sssswwwwaaasssshhh, sssswwweeeessshhh. :lol:
Last edited by centermass on April 20th, 2005, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

centermass wrote:
Silverback wrote:
Open house is 7 May...the only thing seperating you from an ass kicking is opportunity (and a badge). It will actually be great fun and I will act as a body guard for anyone who comes so you don't the "Deliverance treatment" while you're here.
da da da da dung dung dung dung............ :lol:

Love to take you up on it SB, but my daughter graduates USF, Fl (with honors, yeehaw! Pre-mature, proud daddy moment, sorry) on that same day. Hmmmmm, Lumpkin County or sunny Tampa Bay?

I'll get back to ya as this one is a difficult choice!
I was just offering to be polite...No reason to get mean about it :cry:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
msg_dman
Ranger

Post by msg_dman »

When I went through in 89 we lived in the new barracks, but I was lucky enough to get to experience Mountains twice (not), and while on holdover we lived in the green shacks. They were still standing.
Ranger Class # 12-89
Merrills PSG 89-90
C/Co 4th RTB 90-92
USASOC Ft Bragg 01-06
Retired 1 Feb 2006

In Memory of 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

I was in class 1-89 in mountians and stayed in them. I think it was the 2nd from the end by the planning bays. It's kind of hard to remember exactly, being in "Duh-ville" at the time. Plus I think I'm starting to come down with a case of "FOG-Syndrome" myself sometimes! :lol: I know I cant remember the hooch #, thats for sure! :roll:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”