Absolutely a man to admire

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

JPHawk

Absolutely a man to admire

Post by JPHawk »

SGT Block was one of my weapons team leaders when I came to B co in August of 2012. I had the honor of learning from him on a daily basis during my first training cycle and deployment. He is an absolute beast of a man and knew weapons squad in and out. When we got back I went to school and he took a team in another platoon. I heard about what happened that October night during foot checks in Florida phase, a week after the mission actually took place. All the chaplain told the 3d Batt guys was there were two Bn deaths and 2 others not from our unit. I found out after the FTX the full extent of the injuries to the rest of our guys. When I heard about Tom I was in disbelief.

The guy has come so far so fast in his recuperation you would never think by watching him in the gym that anything ever happened. He serves as a constant inspiration to me and all of B co.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8030999896
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Absolutely a man to admire

Post by centermass »

One tough SOB.

Gotta love the "Captain America" look......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Sgt. Thomas Block and fellow Rangers from 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, were patrolling in southern Afghanistan, on a mission to root out insurgents planning suicide bombing attacks. They entered a compound and saw a man and woman sitting in the courtyard. The man was dressed in a T-shirt and sweatpants, while a woman — or possibly a man in a woman’s disguise — wore a burqa and was suspiciously wrapped in a wool blanket.

Block, our 2014 Soldier of the Year, ordered the man to walk toward him with hands up. As the man approached, Block grabbed him, and that’s when the woman jumped up and detonated the bomb strapped to her body. Block used the male insurgent as a shield, but he still was thrown 35 feet into a minefield, severely wounded. Four soldiers died on that mission, and nearly two dozen others were wounded.

That was less than 10 months ago. Yet Block has battled back from his wounds, learning to walk again and enduring six surgeries, with at least four more to go. Doctors rebuilt his ocular bone, his nose and his cheekbone, which is now fitted with a titanium plate. They worked to preserve the vision in Block’s left and remaining eye, which now sees at 20/60. Look at his right eye, and you will see a prosthetic bearing Captain America’s shield.

“He doesn’t like bullies,” Block said, “and neither do I.” Block, 27, is an inspiration not only to his fellow Rangers, but throughout the Army. He’s spoken at leadership
courses, mentored fellow wounded warriors and motivated soldiers to stay in the Army, despite cutbacks and budget uncertainty. He’s even counseled the Oakland Raiders about resilience, perseverance and recovery. Block is the kind of soldier Rangers want to follow, his company commander says.

“He shows up between operations and appointments just to talk to the guys and motivate them,” Block’s captain told Army Times. “When he walks in the door with his glass eye and his PTs, and he tells you that he’s just bench-pressed 315 pounds, there’s not a guy in the room who’s not pumped up about it.” Block would rather credit his fellow soldiers for their heroism — for saving his life Oct. 5, 2013 — when they navigated a trap-laden compound to rescue him, and for continuing to motivate him today.

Despite his injuries, Block’s goal is to remain a Ranger and also earn a college degree. “This is hard, but it’s doable,” Block said. “I’m not going to let this be an excuse to hold me back. That’s going to be the example I’m going to set for everybody around me, and hopefully I can inspire, motivate in any way possible.”

Sergeant Thomas Block. 2014 Army Times Soldier Of The Year

Link
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

centermass wrote:One tough SOB.
An inspiration to all.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

CharlieRanger1FFV wrote:
An inspiration to all.

RLTW!!!
X's 3.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CharlieRanger1FFV wrote:
An inspiration to all.

RLTW!!!
X4
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

Salute!!!!!
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”