Senate filibuster rule change shifts power

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Senate filibuster rule change shifts power

Post by Flesh Thorn »

President Obama, openly expressing his frustration with Senate Republicans, applauded Majority Leader Harry Reid's success Thursday at invoking the so-called "nuclear option" as Democrats voted to strip the minority party of its primary power to block nominations -- the filibuster.

Obama, even invoking former President Bush, said it's critical to "change the way that Washington is doing business."

But Republicans and even some Democrats warned that the Senate may have just opened a Pandora's box -- and with little debate, approved a change that could haunt the chamber for years to come.

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Senate filibuster rule change shifts power

Post by Jim »

Flesh Thorn wrote:President Obama, openly expressing his frustration with Senate Republicans, applauded Majority Leader Harry Reid's success Thursday at invoking the so-called "nuclear option" as Democrats voted to strip the minority party of its primary power to block nominations -- the filibuster.

Obama, even invoking former President Bush, said it's critical to "change the way that Washington is doing business."

But Republicans and even some Democrats warned that the Senate may have just opened a Pandora's box -- and with little debate, approved a change that could haunt the chamber for years to come.

Read More
I predict that the Democrats will one day regret this decision. It has a long history based on the concept of "advise and consent."
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

What are the chances of them changing the law back in the event of a democratic "lame duck" session?

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Each party has gerrymandered these and majority laws as they've been in charge. It's ain't nothing new.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

According to the Boston Globe, there are still techniques to block nominees:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politic ... story.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867