11x Option 40 for Sleepwalking Waiver?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Drummer17
Embryo

11x Option 40 for Sleepwalking Waiver?

Post by Drummer17 »

I was wondering if I have any chance, with sleepwalking on my record.

My dad is a retired officer, and I went to WRAMC to take a sleep test. They sent the results back saying that there were no traces of sleep abnormalities. I'm thinking maybe I could get a waiver from that since it's a test from an Army hospital, and also my sleepwalking has tapered off to near non-existent (I can't remember the last time I did it). I could attribute it to puberty or something, because it began when I turned 12 or 13, and I had no history of it prior to then. Anyway, I really appreciate any help you Rangers can give me in this area. Thanks!
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: 11x Option 40 for Sleepwalking Waiver?

Post by Baseplate »

I don't know but I went to basic with a bunch of sleepwalking SOBs.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

. wrote:By sleepwalking history what do you mean? Also what do you mean by it being on your record? Did you hold up a liquor store and claim you were sleepwalking?
Do you think I could pull this off?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Baseplate wrote:
. wrote:By sleepwalking history what do you mean? Also what do you mean by it being on your record? Did you hold up a liquor store and claim you were sleepwalking?
Do you think I could pull this off?
Shit, give it a try and let me know!
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Drummer17
Embryo

Post by Drummer17 »

I mean that I did absolutely no sleepwalking before I turned 12...and by "on my record", I meant that they could see that sleepwalking was an issue prior to enlistment, and not something that resulted from the added stress.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

There is an Active recruiter on here somewhere, I'm sure he will be along soon to square you away.

It's been 6 years since I saw an ECM, and yes I mean the Enlistment Criteria type not the "I don't want to get blown up" one.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

A history of sleepwalking after the 13th birthday does not meet enlistment standards. so if you have documentation saying that you have had sleepwalking issues after your 13th birthday, you will require a waiver. The Army Regulation covering this implies that you could get a waiver if in fact you have had it after your 13th birthday. If that waiver is accepted or not, well that remains to be seen. The deciding factors will probably be 1) are you currently taking medication to supress this condition and 2) does it still affect you/has it affected you recently. The doc's at MEPS will most certainly need your medical doc's concerning this issue. I can tell you right now that "near non existent" is not going to get approved. it needs to be "non existant" for them to even consider this. Good luck.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It must be disqualifying, after all, you'd have an unfair advantage at Ranger School. :P
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

K.Ingraham wrote:It must be disqualifying, after all, you'd have an unfair advantage at Ranger School. :P
how? we all sleepwalked through school.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

KW Driver wrote:
K.Ingraham wrote:It must be disqualifying, after all, you'd have an unfair advantage at Ranger School. :P
Well, I know I did. I swear there is a four-lane highway just off the Yellow Swamp.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

KW Driver wrote:
Yeah, but he's pre-qualified!

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

K.Ingraham wrote:
KW Driver wrote:
Yeah, but he's pre-qualified!

Nice
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Drummer17
Embryo

Post by Drummer17 »

My question would be, even with a medical waiver, could I still get into Airborne and Ranger training?
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

uh..right..Drummer17, go and try to unhijack my hijack. :)

I think the best answer you'll get here is what Goon already posted. PM him (if he is OK with that) or see a recruiter in person for the latest.
Waiverable standards do change from time to time & right now, waivers are very hard to get as there is no shortage of volunteers.
Best of luck.

RS 9-76

Return to “Recruitment Process”