Did I miss my chance?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Did I miss my chance?

Post by NeverSayDie »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did I miss the chance to take part in the war? Or will SpecOps still have a hand in the fight?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: Did I miss my chance?

Post by IEDmagnet »

Miss the chance to take part in the war? Man, I appreciate you wanting to be a warrior and all... but must remind you that the fight is real and not on a TV show. Dude, serve.... be the best you can and learn every thing you can. Be prepared for the fight, you'll get your shot before you're done. Don't go wishing for it... it's not glamorous.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

IEDmagnet wrote:Miss the chance to take part in the war? Man, I appreciate you wanting to be a warrior and all... but must remind you that the fight is real and not on a TV show. Dude, serve.... be the best you can and learn every thing you can. Be prepared for the fight, you'll get your shot before you're done. Don't go wishing for it... it's not glamorous.
IEDmagnet,

While no civilian can grasp how screwed up war can be, I understand the risks involved (death, dismemberment, disfigurment, horrible mental scaring ect). but a chance to fight in a war like this only comes along once in a lifetime. I believe in the ideals of our nation down to the core of my being and it burns me deep down that I have to sit Idly by they're being threatend. Besides, I have my own personal reasons for wanting to get combat shots downrange in this specific conflict.

Respectfully,

NSD

IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

High Speed, you can quote a hundred reasons for wanting to fire shots in anger...and you can SAY you understand the truth of war....but you have nothing to base your "understanding" on other than other war vets limited tales. Usually these are the good times, or the funny stuff. I sincerely respect your wish to serve, and put your arse on the line. Here's MY point.... there is going to be an American force (Especially Rangers and SF) fighting SOME muslim enemy somewhere for a very very long time. Stop worrying about what you are "missing out on" and start worrying about learning how to do your job so you aren't a liabilty that causes another American Ramp ceremony.

I have thirteen individual reasons for not wanting to be farked up and retired right now, but that's the way it is. So...deal with your specific circumstances and do YOUR BEST to become a Ranger/soldier, then worry about whether or not your going to fight.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Well NSD, you've heard from two of the wiser voices on this campus. (that they're two of the funniest mo-fos here is gravy) Neither deigns to speak to everybody so heed their council.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

If you'd heard about all the battles fought and won by Spec Ops, then it wouldn't be Spec Ops would it?

There's only one way to find out, after all, you may not even survive the cut.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Veteran OldGrunt and Veteran IEDmagnet,

Roger. Thank you for your advice, and for your service.

on a lighter note, obama's announcement should reduce the number of dooshnozzel protest gatherings... right?

Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

NeverSayDie wrote:Veteran OldGrunt and Veteran IEDmagnet,

Roger. Thank you for your advice, and for your service.

on a lighter note, obama's announcement should reduce the number of dooshnozzel protest gatherings... right?
Reduce...I doubt it, Shift to another topic...more than likely.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I’ll try not to stand on this soapbox for too long, but I want to make it clear how important veterans’ advocacy groups like the Wounded Warrior Project are to me. You know how you occasionally have those dreams where you show up to school, and you’re not ready for the final exam? Or you have to go onstage in front of a lot of people, but you’re not wearing pants? It’s a specific kind of dream about being unprepared that makes you wake up in a cold sweat.

Veterans have dreams like that, except they’re about war, and they’re colored with traumatic memories of split-second decisions that led to the death or disfigurement of others. When I have them, I’m usually trying to stop my fellow Marines from shooting when children are caught in the crossfire. My short combat stint ended seven years ago, so the dreams are rare enough, but it’s an unpleasant way to wake up, and the dream always haunts me for two or three days after I have it. But I realize that I’m lucky; many others have those dreams every night, and many more have the constant reminder of a missing leg, a missing arm, the loss of vision, chronic pain from bones replaced with steel rods, or endless surgeries to fix the nerve damage that hot steel causes when it finds flesh.
I didn't write this I just saw it on an NFL blog I read every now and then but I think it sums it up nicely. You should be very careful what you wish for
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

There is always an opportunity to go to combat somewhere -- just serve efficiently and honorably, and you will have your chance.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

There is nothing glorious about war. Almost every person I have kept in touch with or talked to from my unit has PTSD or something wrong with them. I too have have some issues that have taken me almost twenty years to overcome.
2nd Armored div(FWD)1990-1992
1st Infantry div(Desert Storm)1991
101st Airborne(18th FA Bgde)1992-1994
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

How strange, every night I pray for a time when no one goes to war and there is no more killing for any reason. Don't be in such a worried state that you might miss your chance. That chance will likely lead to far more than you can imagine. Those I fought next to will always be remembered for being the great men they were but I would give up the memories of them to have just one of them back or even one of them not missing their limbs..

I know it preposterous to even think that the animal known as man will ever get over his penchant for killing his fellow man. There is always a good reason for it: belief in a different God, wanting something the other has, domination; and the list goes on as long as you have two or more of our species alive at the same time.

I can still hope and pray for the day when our children or their children are better than we. Every time I look at my grandchildren my prayer is renewed.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

I can't top the wise words said here. But I can say this...

I used to feel the same as you. Not anymore though.

Think about it.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Elguapo wrote:I can't top the wise words said here. But I can say this...

I used to feel the same as you. Not anymore though.

Think about it.
Brother, I think that you did just add more wise words to this whole forum. I think every person here has said something of substance.

As an add on, I am 33 years old. I have a Post-concussive form of M-TBI from too many IEDs, I have seperated my shoulder in an IED, I have a dent in my skull from the same, I have PTSD, a blown knee, and take more meds than your average 60 year old. I have doctors appointments out the wa-zoo.... with all that being said I WOULD NEVER TAKE BACK ONE THING I EVER DID OR TOOK PART IN. I am proud of every single soldier on this forum who has served, who has fought, who lives with something from their war whether they'll admit it or not. I stay in touch with every soldier I fought beside whether I liked them completely or not. But a WISE WISE Ranger just took the cake out of everything I have read on here when he said he "prays every night for no more war".

Would I do it all again? You're damn right. But I'd make a few different decisions. Thank you sincerly for your willingness to do it, and to serve. Just take to heart the words all these Warriors have said. Might make you a better soldier if you see the underlying truths.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

Return to “The Mosh Pit”