Shin Pain

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Chris
Embryo

Shin Pain

Post by Chris »

Rangers/members

Anticipating a January ship date, I have started running again. I knocked out a mile last night on the track after not running distances for 3 years. I was an athlete in high school (pitcher, baseball). I ran daily for all 4 years.

My shins feel very sore, specifically the insides of my shins. It feels like bone pain, and it isn't my calves. Is this from not running in such a long time? I've been playing a lot of bball so its not like I've been totally inactive cardio wise. Should I fight through the pain? Wait till it goes away and run again?

Thanks
"A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective"
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Shin Pain

Post by Bravo57 »

Do the "ABC's" with your feet. When you go to bed, have your legs off of the bed about mid-calf, and make your feet spell the alphabet in capital letters 2 times before you go to sleep.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Bravo57 wrote:Do the "ABC's" with your feet. When you go to bed, have your legs off of the bed about mid-calf, and make your feet spell the alphabet in capital letters 2 times before you go to sleep.

I want to see the letter Q
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Chris
Embryo

Post by Chris »

Bravo57 wrote:Do the "ABC's" with your feet. When you go to bed, have your legs off of the bed about mid-calf, and make your feet spell the alphabet in capital letters 2 times before you go to sleep.

Will do Ranger Bravo57. What does that do?
"A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective"
Chris
Embryo

Post by Chris »

Just ran some pick up basketball and my shins are really paying for it. Hopefully after getting in the weight room and more pt I wont be having this. Never had these when I played baseball, but then again I never took a 3 year hiatus
jhk
Egg

Post by jhk »

Hi Chris,

It's pretty common for you as a new runner to have pain in your shins because you have weak muscles there. The ABC's is a good way to strengthen/stretch the muscles in your shin. I would also give those muscles time to heal like you would any other muscle. Landing on a hard surface(basketball) causes stress to those muscles and is the reason it got worse...

Inregards to bone pain, I would be very surprised if that was a bone fracture since you only ran a mile.... That said, you probably have very bad form and landing really hard on your heels. Stop that. Run and land on the balls of your feet. It's a natural cushion for your body when it impacts with the ground. Your knees and shins will thank you. If you go to the crossfit website, you'll see a bunch of videos for running. It will guide you through proper form and proper shoes. Good Luck.
“When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.” ~Confusius
Chris
Embryo

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the input jhk. Ill definitely take it easy. I ran countless miles as a pitcher so this pain is just new to me. Thanks guys!!

@Ranger Baseplate...you should try seeing me do this drunk. I'm thinking every letter looks like some fucked up Q

Return to “About Army Physical Training”