Platoons Beware! Another Fresh 2LT... (Introduction)

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

WhiskeyRiver
Ranger

Platoons Beware! Another Fresh 2LT... (Introduction)

Post by WhiskeyRiver »

Hello!

I'm a newly-commissioned Infantry 2LT. I graduated as an Electrical Engineer, and I'm now awaiting my IOBC class. After IOBC, which ends early February, I am 'tentatively assigned to Fort Campbell.' As your FAQ has stated, I do not have any accomplishments or experience to speak of here, and shall do my best to keep that in mind.

My short-term goals are to excel at IOBC and be the best PL that I can be, which is what brought me here. I look forward to gleaning as much knowledge as I can from you. Near future goals include Ranger School, AASLT School, and getting a tour in Germany. I'm a little odd in that I don't have any serious desire to go 82nd, 101st, or 75th - every unit needs good people, so if I can be one of those people, I'm happy. Again, my goal is to be the best officer that I can be, regardless of where I'm at. Despite that, I'm looking forward to serving with the 101st after IOBC, and can't wait get to Campbell.

Thanks for having me here, I hope to learn as much as I can!

Signed,
Craig
Ranger School 07-11
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Platoons Beware! Another Fresh 2LT... (Introduction)

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site, Sir.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your future service.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Craig, that is certainly a refreshingly unique introduction. Being a platoon leader is the best job in the world. I was fortunate enough to have had a rifle, anti-tank, and support platoon. Great jobs. If you are doing it well, you are preparing yourself for ever more responsible assignments. You are certainly welcome here.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Welcome Sir.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. You have world of opportunity ahead of you. Ranger Jim is right, the best job an officer can ever have is being a platoon leader. But for many, it turns out to be their worst job. Don't be one of them!
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Sir. Best of luck where ever your career takes you.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Welcome Sir...listen to those wise Men above me.

But remember your NCO's are your immediate support, listen to them, use them, rely on them. They can make or break you. (Of course i'm biased as a retired NCO).
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Ranger Bill wrote:Welcome. You have world of opportunity ahead of you. Ranger Jim is right, the best job an officer can ever have is being a platoon leader. But for many, it turns out to be their worst job. Don't be one of them!
I couldn't agree more, my time as a rifle platoon leader was probably one of the most rewarding and gratifying experiences of my life. I also observed what can happen when a platoon leader doesn't do it right.

Make sure that every bit of training you receive improves your leadership skills. Also, a good set of NCO's can make or break you; like you should be, they are looking out for those that they are responsible for and accomplishing those tasks assigned to them. If you observe them and their interactions with those under them you will have good opportunities to learn and improve your own abilities.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Welcome! I never got to be a PL, every Guard or USAR unit I was assigned to as an officer, I was put in the Bn S3 shop....:( Damn Ranger tab!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It's good that you have taken an honest measure of yourself. That's refreshing.

You will have the opportunity to really learn good leadership where you are going. Elites like the 75th or the Marines have some poor leaders on board because they have excellent NCOs and troops who know what they are doing and will carry on and accomplish the commanders intent, even with a lunkhead in charge (Maj McMillan & 'Action Jackson' come to mind).

Where you are going you'll have troops more interested in the weekend, who will leave mission essential gear behind in favor of comfort items, who will abandon their post to go to chow even if you have that covered, who do not care about the professional consequences of saying "fuck you Loo, I'm staying right here". You get that typical leg crowd to consistently conform to your will without always having to fall back on article 15s and the UCMJ and you will have become a leader.

The above advice about your NCOs is good so far as it goes. By all means listen to them and ask for advice - something you can do here too by the way - just never forget that the buck stops with you, bottom line, YOU are the commander and the responsibility ultimately is yours. The classic sarcastic line spouted by every RI that ever lived and parroted by platoon sergeants stateside since time immemorial "whatcha gonna do now Sir?" shifts emphasis when the chips are down. Remember that scene on the beach in 'Pvt Ryan' where the leg private is shouting at the Hanks 'Cpt Miller' character "What are we gonna do now Sir?!". There it is, bottom line. You will do well if your sergeants are doing their job, which includes educating you, and if you pump them for what they have learned, but bottom line again is that us enlisted swine are looking to you for leadership: for better or worse, provide it.

Welcome aboard. There are a lot of experienced NCOs and officer leadership here, right up to some very senior levels. If you have problems or need some mentoring outside of your unit, you can post here and ask for offline responses. You might get some help.
We will, of course, make fun of you :lol: just because this is the WWW and we can. :twisted:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Introduction Archive”