Hunkering Down Now

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Hayve
Tadpole

Hunkering Down Now

Post by Hayve »

Dear Rangers,

Thanks to Texas Rusty we have squared away our recruiter on how to properly work for a Ranger recruit. Texas offered up his location and I put our recruiter in touch with that office to learn how to properly search for an Option 40 every day. It is almost humorous that we are educating him to not believe everything he is told (No Option 40's for the next year) from MEPS.

We expect that our next post will be along the lines of TR's most recent posts.

Thanks again for lighting the path.
Hayve
Tadpole

Re: Hunkering Down Now

Post by Hayve »

Rangers,

So we thought we had an understanding with our recruiter: He checks for an Option 40 everyday and when one opens, he calls us and we reserve it.

Now 2 weeks later...not two days........two weeks.....(see March 18 post above).....he tells us that he cannot reserve an Option 40 even if it opened because we signed a "reservation" (not a contract) at MEPS (for a general 11). So we call another (very helpful) recruiter who tells us that even in this situation, a call to ROC can reserve an open Option 40. Our recruiter tells us this is not so.

Now we simply have to tell our recruiter that on day one he was aware we were Option 40 or Bust, nothing has changed, he needs to get it. Its probably a good thing that my son is a buffer here because I would just as soon dump this recruiter at this moment.

When considering what lies ahead after an Option 40, its small potatoes, right?
Hayve
Tadpole

Post by Hayve »

Dear Rangers,

Thanks again for the use of this site. My son was just offered and reserved an option 4 and will be signing Wednesday morning. He will finish his first year of college (and piss off the Football Coaches when he leaves), train more over the summer, and ship out in September.

As Ranger Kilted Heathen so eloquently recommends, I will now sit the fuck back and let you train him.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Yes, 4 vs. 40, big difference.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Hayve
Tadpole

Post by Hayve »

Rangers,

Initially he as was willing to accept (and reserved) the Option 4 due to time constraints etc. and take his chances from Airborne.

I am extremely happy to report he has just returned from MEPS this afternoon with an Option 40 (11X)!!!!! Funny thing is the counselor at MEPS remembered him by name today, and when asked why he could after nearly 4 months in between visits, he replied that very few have ever walked out of MEPS (on a prior visit) without signing. He congratulated him when the Option 40 popped up and commended him for waiting for what he wanted.

Now I am on to #3 Son who wants to commit before his Senior year of High School.

Thank you to all the Rangers here for lighting the path. It has been a great learning experience especially learning to mind your P's and Q's or endure the wrath of Ranger Kilted Heathen (he really should have a syndicated program somewhere). I cant think of too many other occasions where the investment of time has paid off so handsomely, my wife thinks I have been online for other reasons :wink: !

Maybe I'll get him to introduce himself here although he is not the talkative sort, something symmetrical about that....

Sincere Thanks,

Hayve
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Congratulations to you and your son.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Hayve
Tadpole

Post by Hayve »

Dear Rangers,

The 6 month odyssey has come to a close for me. I just sent my son off with the recruiter to ship tomorrow. 11x Option 40. I wish it wasn't over because this has been an overwhelming experience for us to say the least. Thanks for being here and giving us the resources to learn all we needed to know. The interesting aside is that some of the best parts of this site are not just the factual information available, but rather the camaraderie demonstrated through the sharing of experiences and story telling. Along with Ranger CDWDirect's "A Private In Regiment," it all reaffirms why he chose this path.

Man it makes it hard for me to go to work and take it seriously.

If only there were grandstands at Ranger School.

As is his wish, I am done helping and he gets to "let go" and never quit.

Thanks!
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

You did good.

Some of his longest lasting friendships will be other Rangers with which he serves.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Buzz wrote:You did good.

Some of his longest lasting friendships will be other Rangers with which he serves.
yes they will.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Recruitment Process”