The impact in your life as a Ranger

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hodge
Embryo

The impact in your life as a Ranger

Post by hodge »

Rangers,
As some of you know, I am in the process of becoming a Chaplain and have a desire in earning the Ranger Tab and hopefully serving as a Ranger Chaplain. As a future Chaplain, I was wondering what impact did the Chaplains have in your life? How can Chaplains better serve you and your family?

Hodge
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: The impact in your life as a Ranger

Post by cams »

Always, and I mean always, keep a bunch of hard candy in your pocket to pass out during road marches.

Religion don't mean much to young studs after about 10-15 miles, besides the silent prayer you give yourself to keep going, but you give 'em some candy and they'll look at you different.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Good questions, young man but the answer depended on the Chaplain. Has some good ones, had some that needed killen. So....wutcha gunna be like?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

cams wrote:Always, and I mean always, keep a bunch of hard candy in your pocket to pass out during road marches.

Religion don't mean much to young studs after about 10-15 miles, besides the silent prayer you give yourself to keep going, but you give 'em some candy and they'll look at you different.

Well sky pilot.........Cams summed it up. There will always be a place in my heart for the Chap......He never once asked me about faith. He always came up and it was all smiles and help, in the Ranger way, "Rangers, aint it fun." with a smile and hard candy. No matter how cold, hot, wet, parched or tired...........slap on the back and Rangers Lead the Way as he moved on to his OBJ. It was a damn fine example. We had some Rangers do some stupid young and dumb stuff................Chap would never once bring up excuses for others. "They mucked it up, and are paying for it".

Smile when it sucks
Smile when it really sucks
Smile when it don't even seem possible
and hand out hard candy to every Ranger you can lay hands on.
Drive the fuck on.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Just don't pass out while doing a 20 mile road march, get delirious and denounce God. It was funny to see, and a little scary.

Oh yeah, Lots of hard candy and smiles. When you go to the range, ask to shoot everything. The boys get a kick out of that.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
hodge
Embryo

Post by hodge »

Ranger Cams,
Roger that on the advice about the hard candy. I prefer Jolly Rancher any other suggestions?

Ranger Rock Island,
You asked which one I am going to be. I am going to be one of the good ones, leading the way.

Ranger Caruthers,
I appreciate the advice and the insight.

Ranger Bravo,
Thanks for the advice on the Road march and the shooting down range. Being a former 11B, I would enjoy, getting chance to lock and load anytime.

Rangers,
I appreciate your insights and advice. I am on here looking to learn and soak up the wisdom of you Rangers, that have been there and done that. Your experience, wisdom and advice will only make me a better Chaplain.

Hodge
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Don't forget to pass out some St. Michael medallions too and jump your ass off preacher! I always liked the Baptist Chaplains because they stuck to the good book, not any judgement or other "holier than though" crap, just go to the book.

For service work, try to find the young Rangers that married too young and are struggling financially. See if you can't keep them outta trouble and keep them in the Bn!

Just be with them as they train and fight. The only time I saw our Chaplain, some big Irish Catholic, was when I got in trouble downtown for drinking...
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

panthersix wrote:Don't forget to pass out some St. Michael medallions too...
Which brings up an obscure question: Who is the patron saint of Rangers? Is it St. Michael?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Jim wrote:
Which brings up an obscure question: Who is the patron saint of Rangers? Is it St. Michael?
Reagan
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Jim wrote:
Sir, I think people just make it up as they go along. I've seen St. Michael used for several different occupations. Paratroopers/Rangers/Police/Fire/This /That/Pizza Delivery guy/Tom Cruise/Etc

I remember Chaplain Frederichs passed out St. Michael medallions to everybody before we went to OJC, but on the medallion it said Patron Saint of Paratroopers. Then I saw another one some yrs later that said Patron Saint of Rangers, forget the guys name though. :?

And to answer your question young new Padre, any kind of hard candy is dandy, gets about that time when you see a stud needing a hand, you could give him snot flavor and he'd be thankful just for getting his mind off his feet or back for a minute or two.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

The Patron Saint of Rangers is St Andrew.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Kilted Heathen wrote:The Patron Saint of Rangers is St Andrew.

You called?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

So Cherry Chaplain your first assignment is to find supporting documentation for the Patron Saint of the Rangers and we don't care if you're not Catholic either! Getter Done Padre!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I don't do the whole church thing. I guess I never liked people telling how I have to believe or how I should interpret this or that. I figured I was old enough to do my own interpreting and find my own path.

The few times I attended church during my time in the Army were when I was in OSUT. I went because the guys in my platoon wanted me to go with them. I was twice their age. It was like they thought if I went with them, it validated it or something. So I went.

The thing that pleased me about those few visits was that the preacher seemed to be giving those guys a genuine break from the stresses of every day Army life. He wasn't shoving things down their throats (like I've seen on the civvie side), he was making them laugh, letting them relax, and then pumping them up with a pep talk. I really think he did them a world of good.

I've met a few Chaplains and luckily the ones I've crossed paths with were all that way. They didn't judge, they didn't persuade, they were just damned good dudes who healed the aches, pains, and woes of everyone they came in contact with. They were always right in the suck with you, too. I don't know if that matches the "mission statement" of being a Chaplain or not, but it certainly was the right way in my eyes.

Good luck to you, Padre.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

A good Chaplain is definitely a Force Multiplier!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “The Mosh Pit”