Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Silverback
Ranger

Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew

Post by Silverback »

HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. (AP) — Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.

On Tuesday, the Helena-West Helena City Council voted 9-0 to allow police to expand that program into any area of the city, despite a warning from a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas that the police stops were unconstitutional.

Police Chief Fred Fielder said the patrols have netted 32 arrests since they began last week in a 10-block neighborhood in this small town on the banks of the Mississippi River long troubled by poverty. The council said those living in the city want the random shootings and drug-fueled violence to stop, no matter what the cost.

"Now if somebody wants to sue us, they have an option to sue, but I'm fairly certain that a judge will see it the way the way the citizens see it here," Mayor James Valley said. "The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution."

The area under curfew, in what used to be a West Helena neighborhood, sits among abandoned homes and occupied residences in disrepair.

White signs on large blue barrels warn those passing by that the area remains under curfew by order of Mayor James Valley. The order was scheduled to end at 3 p.m. Tuesday, but Valley said the city council's vote would allow police to have the same powers across Helena-West Helena.

Full Story
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

The title should read

"America's civil liberties under attack"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

To paraphrase Ben Franklin: "Those who abandon essential liberties to achieve convenience or safety deserve neither".
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

K.Ingraham wrote:To paraphrase Ben Franklin: "Those who abandon essential liberties to achieve convenience or safety deserve neither".
It bothers me that politicians can "vote in" a curfew! I understand the need for safety and security, but being locked down is not an option!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Silverback wrote:
K.Ingraham wrote:To paraphrase Ben Franklin: "Those who abandon essential liberties to achieve convenience or safety deserve neither".
It bothers me that politicians can "vote in" a curfew! I understand the need for safety and security, but being locked down is not an option!
Agreed! Having worked for small town part time politicos, I find it especially scary. While I sympathize with their sentiments, a little 20th Century policing, with all that constitutional 'hinderence', can work wonders, as it did right here in Binghamton.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

I'm surprised Jesse Jackson is not there yet....
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

Yes this is bullshit and unconstitutional. I'm just really pleased to not see anybody on here saying basically, "yeah whatever it takes". :roll: Amazing to me that you have to have the ACLU to tell a city govt. what is constitutional.

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

What a douche. I'm sure if he is out past 3 he'll feel differently. The Constitution protects everybody. These people need to go back and re-examine the Constitution and Bill of Rights.[/b]
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

Oh, I thing everyone should spend a week in Helena-West Helena. Would open your eyes to a lot of BS.
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

Remember this is the media spin on what is going on there.

I would equate this to a full court press on the bad guys.

The problem is 2 fold

1. Crime is now being displaced somewhere else.
2. Uninvolved people who know absolutely nothing about living in the hood are gonna swoop in and tell the citizens they are being mistreated. Lawsuits will fly and it'll go back to being a drug ridden shit hole because some shithead knows what is best for them.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)

Return to “The News Dump”