Option 40 without GT 110 or open slot...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
psxdns

Option 40 without GT 110 or open slot...

Post by psxdns »

A couple weeks ago when my friend and I went to MEPS to get our stuff sorted out, one thing nagged at me...

First, because of my school situation, I just did the physical - I'm mainly talking about my friend here.

He got a 53 on his AFQT score, and a 97 on the GT portion.

After waiting about an hour for him to come out of the liason office, he had an 11X ABN/Option 40 contract. My recruiter (hes a pretty cool guy, was a special forces medic, and was going to replace one of the 160th medics if it wasn't for his family) said that they had to call the Department of the Army and ask them to open an Option 40 slot as there were none available.

From all my knowledge, and from reading this forum, a GT score of 110 is required to secure an Option 40 contract.

So what I'm trying to figure out is why they would first allow him to have an Option 40 contract with his GT score, and second, to open a slot that wasn't even available, for someone with such a GT score.

Any insight? Thanks.

Eric
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Just wory about yourself and not someone else for now. Get your contract and move the fuck out. Stop looking into shit.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

Ranger H8Train, I am worrying about myself - he and I are doing the buddy program, so when we go to renegotiate contracts, we might run into a problem..
Last edited by psxdns on June 14th, 2004, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

show him the respect he has earned.

i ain't answering no fucking questions from you until you do.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

SFC hit_it the last thing I wanted to do was offend someone. I was trying to find a way to address Ranger H8Train but was unable to find how.

As I said, I'm sorry that I have created disrespect, it was due to misinformation on my part..
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

OKAY.

the friend you talk about in your post basically lucked out. when they called the ROC for him, they had an 11X slot that had all the bennies on it and just gave it to him.

THIS WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT HIM. a 110 GT is not just a enlistment requirement, it is a requirement for continued service in the REGT. he will have to attend BSEP. i seem to recall a Ranger mentioning his situation in another post that went the same way.

the only problem i see for you is not scoring what is required and then expecting the same miracle your buddy got. STUDY FOR THE ASVAB.

that's all i could say without being there.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

SFC hit_it thanks - I am all set for my ASVAB scores, who woulda thought paying extra attention would benefit my chosen carrer, but either way, what would you suggest in a situation like this? Obviously having my friend retake the ASVAB right now would be a stupid thing (not like he's getting any smarter; hes already done with highschool..), but if this will cause problems when we go renegotiate contracts to do the buddy system etc, then we might not really have a choice.

SFC hit_it, you also say "a 110 GT is not just a enlistment requirement" - does this mean, if he didn't retake the ASVAB before basic, he would HAVE to attend BSEP before being assigned to REGT?

Thanks again,

Eric
SRR2R
Tadpole

Post by SRR2R »

psxdns wrote: Obviously having my friend retake the ASVAB right now would be a stupid thing (not like he's getting any smarter; hes already done with highschool..), but if this will cause problems when we go renegotiate contracts to do the buddy system etc, then we might not really have a choice.
Eric,

Let me stress that I have not BTDT. So, I am not giving advice; rather I'm bringing to your attention something you might not have thought of before.

I have a friend who is a current LEO and a veteran of both the Air Force and 82nd Airborne Division. Firstly, it should be noted that he is a highly motivated indiviual, and when he has a goal in mind, he focuses on nothing else. That being said, he once related to me that before he enlisted in the Army he wanted to be sure his scores were high enough to get him an ABN contract. He had no formal schooling beyong high school, but bought an ASVAB study guide. Keeping in mind he surely put forth a great amount of effort into his studies, he was very pleased with the help the book gave him and his subsequent results - in his words, he "aced" it.

Enough storytelling. What I can tell you is that the more you take standardized tests - whether it be the ACT, LSAT, MCAT, etc. - the more comfortable and confident you can become with the testing experience. That is, even if one does not learn any more, it is reasonable that through practice and repetition, one could potentiallly perform better solely because of experience.

Here is an example of such a book. Or just go to www.amazon.com and search for "ASVAB."

SFC_Hit_It, forgive me if my suggestion is out of line. I am curious if you have an opinion or experience with ASVAB study materials. Aside from my aquaintence, I have not heard them spoken of; so I took this oppurtunity to mention the topic to see if anyone else has such experience. Thanks for your help.
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

my experiences have shown me that people have to be STUDYING the tools. not just reading them or doing the problems on the web.

i have had a few people actually study and attain a passing score.

try this one

www.march2success.com
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

Thank you SFC hit_it and Double D, I will pass this information along to my friend.

I'm curious about the bottom line here - our recruiter said basically if you get a 50 or above, you qualify for all bonuses and it would enable us to do what we want (become Rangers).

In short, what would happen if he were to just keep his current ASVAB score and continue on as he is?

I know SFC hit_it mentioned that continued service would require him to boost the GT score, but I am a little sketchy on what "a 110 GT is not just a enlistment requirement" means.

Does that mean he would have to attend BSEP before joining REGT (for example, after RIP)?

Thanks again,

Eric

PS: I'm really talking about my friend here, not one of those things where you say your friend and you really mean yourself. He doesn't seem to understand the importance of the situation, and since were doing the buddy program, I'm going to make sure he is aware that if he chooses not to do something regarding this situation, that I'm not going to let it affect my carrer.
Montgomery Burns
Embryo

just missed it

Post by Montgomery Burns »

my dream and goal in the army is to become an army ranger. I am determined and willing to do what ever it takes to accomplish this. I made a 70 on the asvab and my line scores are as follows

gt (109)
gm 117
el 118
cl 113
mm 119
sc 118
co 119
fa 119
of 117
st 117

Is that one point goint to hurt me. and I also have to have a waiver for possesion of marijuana is that going to keep me from getting an option 40 in my contract
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

Thank's for the post, Ranger sobersides, should shed some light for some other people in the same situation.

I will pass that information along to my friend, the main reason I started this post was because I had the same general idea - he should have fixed it before taking such a leap. But since he didn't (may have partly been recruiters fault for not mentioning the GT 110 requirement for Regiment, even though he got an Option 40 contract), I am in the position to do what I can to help him out.

I mean shit, I got a 117 on the GT line, and still have about 4 more credits to earn for highschool - the whole reason I am doing corespondence is so that I can absorb as much knowledge as I can and work at my pace, to meet and exceed expectations that the Army has for me, and that I have for myself. I'm not impressed with myself, and I won't be impressed with myself until I meet my goals.

I'm going to work my hardest to get my friend to check out the march2success program to further his score, because once hes at RIP, hes not going to get a second chance - and being mentally sound is a great part of RIP, I hear. Hopefully he will start to take charge and figure things out on his own, he's going to have to, and will hopefully retake the ASVAB before we ship.

However, if I fail to do this, at what time (after basic, before RIP, etc) will my friend have to attend BSEP. Knowledge is influence, such information could change his decision on retaking it or not.

Thanks Rangers for all your help,

Eric
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

tell your friend to just be prepared. no need to bring anything up at this point.

he will attend BSEP whenever the REGT (if he gets there) makes time for him to go.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I'm getting a case of the ass....... :evil:

Return to “Recruitment Process”