Introduction & Question: ArmyNurse-RangerWife

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

AirborneNurse-RangerWife
Embryo

Introduction & Question: ArmyNurse-RangerWife

Post by AirborneNurse-RangerWife »

Hello! I've been enjoying reading through your forums and thought I would join the cool kid club. You all are a very knowledgeable (and entertaining) bunch! I'm a new 2LT Army Nurse, awaiting my AMEDD OBLC date. Graduated Airborne class D 34-05 as an ROTC cadet. My husband is currently in the Florida phase of Ranger school... looks like he's got about 2 weeks of training left. Haven't heard from him in awhile, but the last letter was all good news.

I'm sure someone out there can answer a few questions I have. I am currently planning a surprise trip out to Benning to see my husband graduate from Ranger school, and drive across country together. Upon graduation, my husband will be deemed a "Leg Ranger". On top of that, I'm sure having an Airborne Hooah Hooah wife will add to the misery! Haha.

The question is:
Is it typically easy for someone to walk (or limp) out of Ranger school, and get an Airborne slot right away? For all you Rangers... would you have been physcially and mentally ready for jump school right after Ranger school? Or would you be more interested in looking at your feet with no socks on, and eating everything in the refrigerator? :D

If not, what are the chances that his unit will send him later? We'll be stationed OCONUS, so we won't be near Benning again any time soon. If he has a good chance to get an Airborne slot right out of Ranger school, I would cancel my trip plans so he can get his wings.

Any advice or Info would be great! Thanks in advance!
QtMedic4Life
US Navy Vet / US Army Reserves

Post by QtMedic4Life »

Hi, I am rather new to the boards too but I wanted to send a friendly hello. I am just learning about the Ranger life. You will get a few pm's here pretty soon. I may end up at OBLC with you if I graduate on time.

~Azi J~
SilentKiller
Ranger

Re: Introduction & Question: ArmyNurse-RangerWife

Post by SilentKiller »

AirborneNurse-RangerWife wrote: The question is:
Or would you be more interested in looking at your feet with no socks on, and eating everything in the refrigerator? :D
yes.

Personally, I was ready to be out of training for a while after Ranger school. I don't know your husband, so it might be different for him.

Welcome to the board. Make sure you send your husband this way.
A co 2/75 BlackSheep '84-87'
Silent Killers!
RS 7-85
RLTW!

According to Webster's:
BlackSheep: A discreditable member of a respectable group.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Welcome here, Ma'am. My wife was an Army Nurse, went to WRAIN (Univ of Maryland) as well. Fortunate or not she married a Philistine enlisted man and 30 years later still laments the day she chose a knuckledragger over a gentleman. 8)

Tell the boy to get Airborne. The suck sucks but, if he gets caught up in the system his chances become less optimistic. As well, I certainly cannot think he would WANT to be a leg his whole career. Its a vacation at Jump School, he can recuperate there. Not like they actually DO anything hard so tell the young man, get your wings Buttercup....cant have ME (you) being the only jump qualified person in this command. Drive on, Ma'am. Do well. 8)
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I went to Jump School three weeks after graduating RS. (a product of the 101st - more leg Rangers per capita than any division on record)

It wasn't hard - runs were slow enough. The hardest part was having to turn sideways to get my big ego through the door and keeping my trap shut. There are a few "Sarn't Airbornes" who thrive on messing with a leg Ranger, but there's a few that will take care of you as well.

The best part - all that good Airborne chow. I ate like there was no tomorrow.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Welcome here "Ma'am Airborne". Thanks for supporting your stud.

I don't know about something like going to Airborne School right after Ranger School, I just wanted to sleep 16 hours, eat 4 hours, and screw 4 hours each and every day in that order (actually...come to think of it..thats not really a stretch for airborne school...)....but instead they sent me to combat in Panama 7 days after graduation.

In otherwords...if he can get the slot...tell him to GO FOR IT. As the Pastor said, and you know, in the scheme of things, airborne school is a joke physically and mentally....he should do well after what he has just been through...
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Welcome to Army Ranger.com AirborneNurse-RangerWife
And thankyou to both you and your warrior for your service.
There are quite a few of us located here at Ft. Benning, let us know when your headed this way.
Someone will be along shortly to throw you the keys to the ladies side of the house. :wink:
Looking foward to chatting with you there.
Again Welcome.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Is your hubby an O or an E? That would determine quite a bit.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Welcome to the site.

PM (Private Message) Inbound.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
JustErin
Sister

Post by JustErin »

Welcome! Thank you for your service.
I just saw something cool in my head...

http://www.cafepress.com/goldstarsglory/
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

...Tell him a LEG ranger is about a useful as tits on a bull......

Welcome to the site.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome Ma'am! Thanks to you and your "Almost" Ranger husband for your service to our great country! Have him join us too in a few weeks.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Welcome here, Ma'am ! Tell your husband to come on over when he graduates.

I was once a leg, but never a " Leg Ranger. "

When I graduated Hooah School, I was done with schools for awhile. But your husband may be different.

If he has the chance to go right away, then I would suggest he suck it up and go. Airborne School is a cake walk after Ranger School. 8+ hours of sleep every night, decent chow, and slow runs.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Welcome Ma’am. I vote Airborne! Tell him to get it done now that momentum is still there. If not he may have too much “legâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “Introduction Archive”