___Before I swear in a second time___

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
onorok
Embryo

___Before I swear in a second time___

Post by onorok »

I've searched numerous topics on this site as well as the Ranger forum on Navyseals.com, but I still haven't found a real concrete answer.

I leave for Ft. Benning the 30th of June, when I went to MEPS the Commander said there were no Ranger or Airborne contracts available. When I told my recruiter and the Commander that I wanted to wait till a Ranger or Airborne contract was available, they said that I needed to decide while I am here and that slots are constantly being opened and closed, and in order for me to choose I have to be there in person at MEPS. I was pissed but I agreed to sign with an 11x contract anyways because I would get the chance to volunteer for Airborne and RIP at Benning.
So whats all this talk about recruiters calling everyday for months at a time to see if Ranger and Airborne slots are open for their recruits. Cause when I asked my recruiter he told me what the Commander at MEPS said, that I have to choose in person and they cannot do it over the phone.
Also, now that I have signed the contract I basicaly have no more barganing power correct? Or can I still ask for an Airborne and Ranger contract.
Sorry for this long as shit, but I want Ranger first and foremost. I could give a shit about being a regular infantry boot.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

It is my understanding from talking with members of this site, who are currently at OSUT and Jump School, that lately Ranger liasons have been actively soliciting volunteers for RIP from OSUT and Jump School. I don't know how long this urgency will continue, but if you are shipping out soon, I would say that there is a good chance (depending on your performance, of course) that you can secure an Option 40 slot at OSUT. I am NOT a recruiter, however. Good luck.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
ArmyBrat
US Army Veteran

Post by ArmyBrat »

From my exp. different recruiters say different things. When I tried to re up for active without going through family connections a us army recruiter in las vegas told me i needed 1 college semester to join the army, because i was former national guard. I laughed so hard I told him to take care and hung up the phone. Another recruiter told me that I would have to wait a year because since I was in the National Guard it a mandatory 2 years wait since discharge date, once again I laughed my ass of the phone. Maybe these "lies" would have worked for others but Im fortunate enough to have a CSM as a FAther and got the real scoupe and thats why I moved back to San Francisco and he got me all squared away. Recruiters are kinda like car saleman. They need a certain amount of recruits a month, You should have used that to your advantage. You keep going around to different recruiters until you find one that will give you what you want.
25Feb99-28Feb03 Army NG 13Fox
02Sep04-Ft. Jackson for uniforms and physical.
Some duty assignment in Europe.
onorok
Embryo

Post by onorok »

Ranger Earthpig
Yeah thats what I thought, I also didn't think about that fact that it would be too late for me to change my contract now since my ship out date is soo close. Thanks
ArmyBrat
US Army Veteran

Post by ArmyBrat »

My old man secured a recruiter that secured my opt. 40 contract with airborne. It not impossible to find what you want. Just keep going around to different recruiters untill you find what your looking for, thats from my previous exp. Also my prior service is with the NG so that doesnt have much weight as prior service with active duty from what ive heard and seen.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

ArmyBrat wrote:My old man secured a recruiter that secured my opt. 40 contract with airborne. It not impossible to find what you want. Just keep going around to different recruiters untill you find what your looking for, thats from my previous exp. Also my prior service is with the NG so that doesnt have much weight as prior service with active duty from what ive heard and seen.
talk about a giant favor being done at MEPS. them CSM's sure do stik together, huh?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
ArmyBrat
US Army Veteran

Post by ArmyBrat »

Well he did just come back from iraq in march. He spent over a year in that sandbox and he wanted his only son to exp. the same sand box.
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

I'm in jump school right now and we just had a meeting and anyone that wanted a ranger contract could have got one...... same deal in osut at Ft. Benning. You ask you get. The hard part will be graduating RIP, not getting the slot. 8)
It's Mind over Matter. If you don't Mind, it won't Matter.
knightcat
Ranger

Post by knightcat »

As of right now.......if you can get to Airborne....you won't have a problem getting RIP. I am starting jump week and have seen about 15 people get a slot.

I have my first jump tomorrow!

knightcat out
You better pack a lunch......because I'll be hungry when I'm done beating your ass!!

RS class 05-06
28JUNE2005- R.I.P. brothers 146
C-1 Madslashers 2/75 (Sept. '04- Nov. '07)
RIP Sarn't Mac.....
Montgomery Burns
Embryo

Post by Montgomery Burns »

If you have no problem getting to RIP affter airborne then why is it so hard to get an option 40 in your contract.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

because there are benefits to already being a soldier in training than being an applicant.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”