Run time major increase.

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Run time major increase.

Post by Invictus »

SCShooter1983 wrote:On my last post i said i was sick and my PT fell off. Well i have been running 2 times a day since the day i said i ran a mile and thought i was going to die. Well last night i ran a mile in 5 mins 35 seconds. Today i ran 2 miles in 11 mins 51 seconds. Pushups are still hurting me i am only able to push out 35 or 40 in 2 mins. Not sure what the problem with the pushups is. Situps are around 75 to 80.
Like with anything else, real improvement takes time. What do you currently do to increase your PU's?
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Try this, everytime you don't address someone on this site as Ranger when they have earned it, do 100 pushups.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Rangerguru wrote:Try this, everytime you don't address someone on this site as Ranger when they have earned it, do 100 pushups.
X2 I concur. Excellent advice.

and I would add to that....

Every time you wake up, do 100 pushups.

Every time right before you go to sleep, do 100 pushups.

Every time you go to the bathroom, do 100 pushups.

Every time you eat breakfast, do 100 pushups.

Every time you eat lunch, do 100 pushups.

Every time you have dinner, do 100 pushups.

Every time you have a snack or drink something during the day, do 100 pushups.

Every time you brush your teeth, do 100 pushups.

Every time you watch TV, do 100 pushups.

Every time you walk out of your front door, do 100 pushups.

Every time you walk back into your front door, do 100 pushups.

Let me know how that works for you.....
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

SCShooter1983 wrote:On my last post i said i was sick and my PT fell off. Well i have been running 2 times a day since the day i said i ran a mile and thought i was going to die. Well last night i ran a mile in 5 mins 35 seconds. Today i ran 2 miles in 11 mins 51 seconds. Pushups are still hurting me i am only able to push out 35 or 40 in 2 mins. Not sure what the problem with the pushups is. Situps are around 75 to 80.
Also, don't run twice a day. It may have worked for you now but don't make a habit of it. It will lead to injuries. For more information, research it.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Disinfertention wrote:... don't run twice a day. It may have worked for you now but don't make a habit of it. It will lead to injuries. For more information, research it.
This is spot on advice. Reduce your running to no more than three miles every other day. On the other days, work on a strength training program to develop more upper body strength. Do your strength training in the morning and do the 100 pushups ub the afternoon, or vicee versa. That is good progress on your run.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Concur. Your 2 mile time is good. You should now be on a maintenance program for 2 mile times, which actually means running less frequently (I would say no more than 4 times a week. Two miles is considered, a short run, due to using fast-twitch muscles). How is your endurance, i.e. 4 or 5 mile run, looking? You might consider taking one of your run days to a very slow, distance run. By slow, I mean in the 8:30 to 9:00 per mile range.

But - don't hodgepodge a running program. If you take one piece of the puzzle from me, and one piece from another source, and yet another source - it doesn't fit together.

I would say two 2-3 mile tempo runs, a long slow run and an interval (sprint or fartlek) day would be all the running you need. Don't peak too early, and don't overuse.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

You need to strengthen your core. Do not forget, what you do in front you must do in back. If you do sit-ups (abs), you need to do good mornings/back extensions (lower back). If you do push-ups, you need to do pull-ups. And on and on. Some people thinks it's not good, but mixed with a running routine Crossfit is an exceptional way to develop core strength, flexibility (very important) and overall functional fitness. Doing a hundered push-ups will not really get you any better. You need to vary time, type and intensity. An improved eating habits along with increased water intake will be what you need. I suffered many injuries early in my career because of the old "do 1,000s of push-ups and run five miles EVERYDAY!!" mentality. I never got stronger and never got better. Hell the Army even has an acronym for it: FITT - Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

SCShooter1983 wrote: How do you Rangers think about my workout plan?
Make sure you are planning into your schedule adequate rest/recovery time to repair and rebuild your muscles.

Having said that, whatever you are doing, it's not enough...... :D
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

SCShooter1983 wrote:Ranger RTO,

What should I add to my workout? When should i add in rest and rebuild time? That doesnt mean take a day off does it?

Dude, you're starting to annoy me. First of all, chill the fuck out. Then check out these sites.

This is one has decent interval/sprint training. Good for running and shit like that.
Body by Fish

This one works pretty good for the standard push up/pull up/sit up/running deal. Not neccesarily a speed program, but good for endurance.
SEAL workouts

This one develops core strength. The core is your trunk aka abs, obliques, lower back. I like it, have used it with very good results plus it gives nutrional guidance.
Crossfit

In your case, I'd probably go with the SEAL one, mainly because it develops what you're going to need: Endurance for running, rucking, pulling and pushing.

And yes, you need to rest and have days of no PT. I do three days work, one day rest.

Now, look at these sites. And stop whinning like a little bitch with a skinned knee.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

That's a pretty substantial increase on your run time....good on you. There is a pushup exercise called "21 down" that will help your pushups.

You get in the front-lean-and-rest (FLAR) position and bang out 21 good form pushups. Then, immediately rock back into a kneeling position and do 21 fully extended military presses (no bar, just air). Then drop immediately back into the FLAR and do 20 pushups. Then, to kneeling and do 20 presses. Then, 19 pushups/ 19 presses. Then, 18... You get the picture.

When you get down to five, you do 5 diamond pushups. Then, instead of going to the kneeling position, hold the FLAR position for 30 seconds (keeping your back straight and your abs tensed). Then, do 4 diamonds, hold for 30 seconds. Then, three.....etc. After your last diamond pushup, hold in the FLAR for a full 60 seconds. I promise that this will smoke your ass.

You're not going to be able to start at 21, so modify it to "10 down" or "15 down." When you get to the point that you are completing it consistantly, ad a couple reps.

RLTW
EP
Last edited by Earthpig on March 23rd, 2008, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”