Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Charisi
Embryo

Introduction

Post by Charisi »

Greetings all!

I am 27 years old, (28 in January), married, and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. I am not yet in the DEP, but if all goes well, I will be signing my contract within the next two weeks. I will be signing a Ranger contract, and I am, (to be quite honest), fairly excited about being part of something great, and doing my part to serve my country. I am entering into the DEP for a couple of reasons. First, I want to be able to spend one last holiday with my family uninterrupted. Second, I would like the opportunity to learn a few things before I ship to basic, to help me better understand the Army. Lastly, to be quite honest, my wife's cooking has packed a few extra pounds on me, so I really need to get in shape if I hope to survive basic, airborne, and RIP, hehe.
I appreciate any advice any of you could give to me regarding military life, and such. Every little bit of knowledge helps.
In closing, I just wanted to say that I have mad respect for all of you. You put yourselves on the line day after day to serve our country and keep us safe from our enemies. It takes extreme bravery and courage to be able to do this. It is my honor to serve with the likes of you. Thank you.

-Charisi
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Invictus »

Charisi wrote:Greetings all!

I am 27 years old, (28 in January), married, and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. I am not yet in the DEP, but if all goes well, I will be signing my contract within the next two weeks. I will be signing a Ranger contract, and I am, (to be quite honest), fairly excited about being part of something great, and doing my part to serve my country. I am entering into the DEP for a couple of reasons. First, I want to be able to spend one last holiday with my family uninterrupted. Second, I would like the opportunity to learn a few things before I ship to basic, to help me better understand the Army. Lastly, to be quite honest, my wife's cooking has packed a few extra pounds on me, so I really need to get in shape if I hope to survive basic, airborne, and RIP, hehe.
I appreciate any advice any of you could give to me regarding military life, and such. Every little bit of knowledge helps.
In closing, I just wanted to say that I have mad respect for all of you. You put yourselves on the line day after day to serve our country and keep us safe from our enemies. It takes extreme bravery and courage to be able to do this. It is my honor to serve with the likes of you. Thank you.

-Charisi
How does being a DEP do any of these things for you?
Have you taken a PT test? If so, please post your scores.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Welcome. Decent intro. Post PT scores.

My advice may be a little advanced for a man at your stage of the game, but you need to understand the necessity for putting your thoughts of family (et. al.) on a switch - to turn on or off at the blink of an eye. Do your DEP time to accomplish what you've talked about in your intro, then focus, and get your mind right. It certainly helps significantly if your spouse comprehends and is of a similar mindset at an early stage in your pathway to Valhalla.

Good luck.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Welcome and thanks for wanting to serve..
What sort of job are you looking at?.. What do you intend to do with your training? (Here's my plug for Ranger Medic.. ) It's not a bad idea to get an MOS you can use once yo get out. Whatever you job do, PT is your friend. Use the info here to improve whatever your scores are. It will help in the long run to be a PT stud before you ship. Three months to prepare is OK, six would be better. You need to focus and take it seriously; it's possible but will take hard work on your part. If I was in your position again, I'd hire a personal trainer. If you plan on going to the Regiment, you will need to be that fit.
42L5V wrote:..you need to understand the necessity for putting your thoughts of family (et. al.) on a switch - to turn on or off at the blink of an eye. Do your DEP time to accomplish what you've talked about in your intro, then focus, and get your mind right. It certainly helps significantly if your spouse comprehends and is of a similar mindset at an early stage..
This is also very true. My first Platoon Sergeant told me once that your wife will need to understand that you will have two spouses now; Her and the Army, and she may not always come first any more. It's tough on a family, but again, not impossible. Because of their op tempo, the Regiment has some very good family support.

Whatever you do with it, good luck!
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: Introduction

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Charisi wrote:Greetings all!

-Charisi
You're not serving with anyone yet.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thank you for your interest in becoming an Army Ranger. As I understand it, you have not yet signed your contract. Let us know when you have. Read the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Life sure isn't going to be easy being in Battalion and the divorce rates are quite high, but if you make it there it will become a very rewarding place for you. Thanks for your interest in joining.

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com!
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome Charisi,

PM imbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

My bit of advise, lose the ghetto lingo, i.e. "mad respect", this is not the hood.

Thank you. Carry on.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Charisi
Embryo

Post by Charisi »

Thank you all for the welcome and advice! I have not yet signed my contract. My recruiter has set a date of November 16th as the latest for me to sign. The time between now and then is for PT and learning. I haven't yet taken a PT test, but as soon as I do, I will post my score here.

-Jeff
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Charisi wrote:Thank you all for the welcome and advice! I have not yet signed my contract. My recruiter has set a date of November 16th as the latest for me to sign. The time between now and then is for PT and learning. I haven't yet taken a PT test, but as soon as I do, I will post my score here.

-Jeff
Take your time.

You've got 24hrs.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Charisi wrote:Thank you all for the welcome and advice! I have not yet signed my contract. My recruiter has set a date of November 16th as the latest for me to sign. The time between now and then is for PT and learning. I haven't yet taken a PT test, but as soon as I do, I will post my score here.

-Jeff
When do you plan on taking one? In total it should take you about 20 minutes to complete, give or take 5 minutes for short breaks in between each component of the test.

2 min: push-ups
2 min: sit-ups
2min: pull-ups

Run 2 miles as fast as you fucking can, don't slow down, don't walk, don't stop, a good time for the run is around 12 minutes or better.

Done properly this will give you a good idea of exactly what you need to work on, be it all of the components or one area of weakness.

Do it. Then post it. Don't fucking cheat yourself, we'll know.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Charisi you're a 1st time NO-GO. Failure to follow instructions given to you by not one, not two, but three different Rangers and given a 24 hr window to comply.

Since you know what's best for you don't waste our time here anymore.

Dismissed. Close the door on your way out.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Charisi
Embryo

Post by Charisi »

Well seeing as how I have quite a bit of work to do to get ready to DEP in, I wasn't spending 24/7 on these boards. I'm sorry you feel that I was "wasting your time" by not sitting in front of my computer day and night waiting for someone to tell me to do something. Instead I have been PT'ing with my recruiter, PT'ing on my own time, and trying to get my apartment packed up before I head off. Seeing as how I haven't even been on these boards since the 24 hour timer was stated, then I haven't failed anything. The last I saw was people mentioning it was something that needed to be done, but no time limit was given. Seeing as how I am not a psychic I can not possibly know what you want unless I am here reading what you have posted. I will however, take your advice and head elsewhere, seeing as how you clearly have a giant chip on your shoulder. I was seeking advice, and merely trying to become acquainted with soldiers and such. I did not read anywhere nor did anyone mention that I was required to spend every waking hour sitting in front of my computer reading these boards. At any rate, take care all. Thank you for the advice you did give me. It was much appreciated. I will take my leave now as to not waste anymore of your time.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

From my experience, there is a good reason why people who enter the military at an "older" age have difficulty adapting. An 18 year old is more easily mallable, not set in their ways, and usually doesn't not come preprogrammed with excuses, reasoning, or rationale. I'm not busting your balls, I'm saying that out of the 3,000 or so new Soldiers that I have trained - those over 25 have learned to question authority. Not necessarily a bad thing in the civilian world - but dangerous and even fatal in the military.

For example, instead of saying "Roger, I missed my timeline - here are my scores...." You feel an explanation is necessary, and get defensive (and subsequently somewhat disrespectful) in doing so. The board administrators can see when you last logged in. There is method to our madness and organization to our chaos.

Feel free to come back here, as long as you check your attitude at the login screen. There are literally hundreds of years of experience on the other side of the computer screen. Just because you got your feelings hurt, don't throw away a proven resource for success.

Good luck.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “Introduction Archive”