Benchmade

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hakushin
Tadpole

Benchmade

Post by hakushin »

RANGERS,

Hey guys - just a quick question. Is it possible to legally buy an autoknife either from a dealer or from the internet (Ebay, et al.) when you're not currently on active duty status?? I bought a really nice one before I went to the box years back, and I ended up bartering it to my supply guy when I got back for an XM-177 and 30 mags. *Still cost me 1200 dollars, but it was brand new, so it was a pretty good deal*. I just remember how convenient it was, and we don't have a U.S Cav or Lightfighter here, otherwise I'd ask them.

Thanks in advance.
11B1P
3/502 2000-2002
LRSD 311th MI 101st ABN 2002-2004
Team 1-2
S/O - RTO
Kosovo 2001
Iraq 2003 - 2004
91W Aug 06
68W Jan 07

"No weapon forged against us shall prosper!"
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

ebays policy is no automatic knives of any kind (switchblade, OTF etc) are allowed for auction.

Quite a few however slide under the wire and make it onto their site until someone spills the beans or the knife vice division finds it and yanks it down.

There's a lot more sites that sell them besides ebay, none of which I'm disclosing so junior doesn't get his hands on one.

Buying it is one thing.

Possessing and transporting it on your person or otherwise outside your residence is another.

Check your local and state laws as your mileage will vary. Most have already addressed this topic with carry restrictions to all but a very few specific personnel.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

centermass wrote: Buying it is one thing.

Possessing and transporting it on your person or otherwise outside your residence is another.

Check your local and state laws as your mileage will vary. Most have already addressed this topic with carry restrictions to all but a very few specific personnel.
In some places you can 'collect' auto-knives, but not carry them anywhere or use them. It's almost a waste of money to buy one. Also, some major cities will not allow you to carry an assisted-opening or gravity folder, or even a locking blade. If you really want to be law-abiding, just carry a small Swiss Army Knife, like the classic, or nothing at all. I know, that sucks; but what can you do.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I just picked up a Kershaw/Ken Onion knife on eBay for $60.00 and carry it routinely.

Then again, I'm in Utah where they give away Concealed Weapons permits with every driver's license! :shock: :D
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Buying it is one thing.

This is the key right here. You can 'buy' lots of things legally, soon as you take possession of it or use it outside of the store or your house, it's illegal.

Plenty of places sell bongs, that's legal, soon as you use it, it's illegal. Catch 22. Life sucks bud. Get a gun.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Did you ever get a Microtec?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Benchmade

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Check your local and state laws as your mileage will vary.

hakushin wrote:RANGERS,

I ended up bartering it to my supply guy when I got back for an XM-177 and 30 mags.
:shock:

Doesn't sound like hakushin is too worried about laws and legality.

:D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
FIST TEAM LTR
Ranger

Post by FIST TEAM LTR »

Gravity Knife. Germany made, available, Soligen Steel, one hand opening.
Marlin spike in grip. disassembles for cleaning. Colt markets a "Search and Rescue Tool" which is the same. Illegal for us civilains. I've had one since 1978.
Molon Labe.
1st Ranger Bn HHC 1978-81
A Company FIST Team
RGR Class 9-79
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

FIST TEAM LTR wrote:Gravity Knife. Germany made, available, Soligen Steel, one hand opening.
Marlin spike in grip. disassembles for cleaning. Colt markets a "Search and Rescue Tool" which is the same. Illegal for us civilains. I've had one since 1978.
Molon Labe.
Sweet. Post a pic.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Did you ever get a Microtec?
Not yet. Still thinking on it. You got something in mind?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

FIST TEAM LTR
Ranger

Post by FIST TEAM LTR »

YouTube - LL-80 Gravity Knife 2

In action.
1st Ranger Bn HHC 1978-81
A Company FIST Team
RGR Class 9-79
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

cams wrote:
Not really. I still have my Benchmade AFO that I got in Riyadh. It's a workhorse; I couldn't break it if I wanted to...well, I take that back, but it's still a stout knife and simple to maintain.

If I was going to spend $300-500 on a Microtech, I'd look at something hand made. Les voorhies makes some very nice autos ranging from $300 an way up depending on the rare shit the knife is made of. I would check out bladeforums.com, under the maker's section/for sale/folders and watch it like a hawk. You can also read all kinds of info on Microtech and a ton of other knives. Some of the shit is mall ninja, but the maker's section is all business.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

cams wrote:
Cams,

Get either the Makora or the Scarab. One of the best B/U pieces aside from a quality concealable H/G you'll ever carry.

I've had a Makora for several years.

You'll never regret it. 8)
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”