DEPs/Newts! - Ranger History

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Spartan

DEPs/Newts! - Ranger History

Post by Spartan »

How many of you DEPs/Newts have begun to read books about Ranger History? If yes, what books have you read thus far?
Vapor Brain
Tadpole

Post by Vapor Brain »

Ranger Spartan, the books I have read so far on the Rangers are these two and I highly recomend both.

No Excuse Leadership
The Coveted Black and Gold

I am also reading various other military related books, not specifically about the Rangers.[/url]

edit: Can't believe I forgot Black Hawk Down, I have read that as well.
Last edited by Vapor Brain on May 15th, 2004, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato
Ranger Hopps
Ranger

Post by Ranger Hopps »

Ranger Spartan, this isn't exactly Ranger History, but i have Read the book A MORE ELITE SOLDIER by Ranger Chuck Holton. I am currently reading the book THE COVETIED BLACK AND GOLD (not green and gold :roll: ) By Ranger JD Lock, this book has been borrowed to me by Ray 80.

Hopps
1/75 Feb. '05-Jul '08

RS class 04-07

Ranger Saltbitch wrote: "...you will face fear and pain. Do not stop, do not listen; it will only give you excuses to quit."
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

I have yet to read any miltary books other than Rainbow Six :? due to School books and such... I went to Walden books yesterday and asked if they had "No Excuse, Leadership" but they didnt, but they were able to order the Ranger Handbook. Well actually I did read the frist chapter of "Ranger School" on the authors website.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Excellent Hemorrhage. You've actually read all those books?

Have you read 'Five Years to Freedom' yet?
MPC
Tadpole

Post by MPC »

The Raid
SOG

These two aren't Ranger history but are extremely interesting, it was disappointing reading The Raid and seeing all the work those men put into trying to rescue the Son Tay POWs.

The Guts To Try
To Fight With Intrepidity
Black Hawk Down
US Army Rangers 1983-2002
The Coveted Black and Gold
To Be A US Army Ranger
Ghost Soldiers

Five Years to Freedom, again not a Ranger history book but a must read, got some allergic reactions or something while reading it though.

I've read alot of military history and history in general but not much Ranger history yet.
Last edited by MPC on May 16th, 2004, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And then I heard the Lord say, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?' And then said I, here am I, send me." Isaiah 6:8
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

Ranger Spartan, I have read Darby's Rangers We Lead the way, Six Silent Men,and Diary of an Airborne Ranger, and also the history of the 75th Ranger Regiment in The HOOAH Schools book.
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I appreciate the attention to detail Hemmorhage, but it's OK. When I was in I read books on personal survival and many books from Tom Clancy, back when he was first starting and had only about 5-6 books out.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”