Know your Service Reps...

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

VAK
USAF Veteran

Know your Service Reps...

Post by VAK »

Brothers,

You know I spoke with a Brother the other day who was having some trouble with his claim and I asked hi who his Rep was and he didn't know. He also didn't know which Service Agency was representing him.... Now after a bit of research, we found that it was the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) but this brought to mind a point that is crucial when you are working your claims.

Brothers, you have to stay involved. You can't just fill out your papers and leave it to someone else. Research your stuff, keep calling your Rep., stay involved in the process, let them know you are there. Know the step forward and backwords including the appeals process, so that you are prepared ahead of time.

Guys, enrollments are up 70% and the budget for the VA has not been increased to match it. There has also not been adequate measures taken (IMHO) to get ready for the veterans coming home from this conflict. So, it is also time for us ALL to get involved politically and demand that more funding be given to the VA so they are prepared for what is coming. We owe to to each other and more importantly, we owe it to those veterans coming home now.

I am not even going to get on here and debate politics, but as a whole, we need to know who Represent us, not just in the Service Organizations, but in the House and Senate. If your not politically active it would be a good time to consider becoming politically active. And that doesn't mean just registering to vote. Have an Agenda that speaks to the VA's needs, before we get hurt any worse. During this last term, we were not helped as much as we should have been and that needs to be addressed. As a whole, Veterans need to let the President and Congress know where we stand and what our needs are as well as what the needs of these returning soldiers are going to be.

The residual costs of conflicts tend to be seen at home, yet all too often they go unseen as ever faithful we let them go unseen. And while I am certainly not advocating speaking out against the President, I am advocating speaking for the causes concerning Veterans, the VA and the budgetary needs that have been pushed aside. As I said earlier, enrollments in the VA system went up just over 70% and the VA's budget was given just over a 30% increase and told to spread it out to cover the increasing demands. All the while, the VA is facing restructuring, hospital closings and this is being done by a board.

Lat year, I helped get a law enacted call the CARES Act with Rep. Dennis Moore, which enabled Congressional oversight before the VA could just arbitrially close any hospital, but that law is not enough. Somehow, we need to get some legislation that recognizes that there is increased pressure on the VA and funding should be alloted by a use basis. For example, X amount of dollars for X amount of registration into the system. That and a demand that facities be made available to all veterans.

Right now, there are three hospitals in danger of being closed, one in Cheyenne Wyoming. Now, I am no geography major, but I would think that there are not too many other close facilities in Wyoming... Why is it that an exisiting facility would be closed? In Cheyenne there is an AFB. So, we know there are probably retired military personell in the area just from that base plus veterans who simply returned home after there time in service. So, since that facility already exists, why close it? Why make it that veterans have to drive all the way to Denver? I am hoping you see my point on this...

Consider the time that you may need VA Care....

I invite feedback on this topic.

Godspeed,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
straightshooter
Tadpole

Post by straightshooter »

Very good points!!! get in touch with your congressmen and get those letters circulated. Also, the VA's are broken down into what they call VISN's. Wyoming is part of VISN 19 which is also called the rocky Mountain VISN, which includes Denver, Salt Lake City etc.. Each VISN has a supervisor, remember chain of Command. I know that Mr. Biro who is over our VISN is a good person to write to with concerns. It is his job to research and speak for the veteran his concerns on what he sees when he is in Washington. If anyone is interested in which VISN they fall under, I could find out. This is like upper management and could get you a lot further if you are having problems with your claims. They will go and investigate WHY they are getting letters from the veteran and WHY the process is taking so long if it is. Also, Congressionals get the VA's attention I guarantee it!!!
55B, 1989-1992, Ft. Benning, GA. United States Army Marksmanship Team 1990-1992, International Pistol.

life is what you make of it
VAK
USAF Veteran

thanks

Post by VAK »

SS,

I also noticed that Cheyenne's VA may be in some trouble, so it might not hurt to get some Congressional involvement there.... I stay shocked that we can be thinking of closing anything right now, especially in that region where things are so separated. And if I am not wrong the Cheyenne VA is not much more than a clinic as it stands.... Soooo, certainly it cannot cost that much to keep it open when you have an active duty installation right next door to help keep it going. Much like Leavenworth's VA and Ft. Leavenworth with Munson Army Hosp.

Just a thought.

Godspeed,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's

Return to “Post Service Issues”