Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Eight Changes
Ranger

Introduction

Post by Eight Changes »

Hello, my name is David and I am currently living in the North Atlanta area (Suwanee) and working as a photographer. I also teach martial arts a bit on the side, not for money but just to give back to the school that taught me. I am 30 years old and have decided it is time I signed up to serve.

I am currently scheduled to go to MEPS this Thursday 20070503 at Ft. Gillem, and was also there two weeks ago for the ASVAB. Scoring a 99 AFQT I was told that I could "pretty much" pick the job I want.

My goal is to come back with an 18x contract, or an 11b or 13f opt. 40.

I know this will depend on what is offered to me, but if offered more than one of these, I am still somewhat uncertain which would be the best choice for me.

The recruiter suggests it may be the best route for me to go with an opt. 40 to start out, get the experience, then volunteer into SF later. However, I have read that the 18x has been a very successful program, and it is what I initially started this process to get.

I have not done any official APFT yet, but have self-administered with these results:

Pushup: 70

Situp: 95

2 Mile: 14:00 (approximate)

Clearly, running is number one on my "need to do" list and pushups number two. I also know that I need to work on pullups, though I have not tested myself on these yet.

Thank you, Rangers, for your service and for contributing to the useful resource that is this board.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Welcome. Others will be along shortly...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Ahhhh May is holding up nicely!!

Welcome and good luck. Plenty of guys here can show you the way. I would agree with the Option 40. SF is surely bad to the bone but Battalion is a great place to grow up. I know many triple tabbers and they will probably tell you the same thing.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Welcome.

Good intro.

Someone will square you away.

Now... as a fellow shutterbug myself... I KNOW YOU HAVE PICCIES OF HOT WOMEN. You are hereby ORDERED to post them randomly.

Again, welcome. :wink:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Welcome to the site and good luck in whatever you choose.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Since you asked, and having served with both, here is my advice: Your recruiter has provided good counsel. Service as a Ranger or Green Beret is not a flip of the coin and does not have to be one or the other. You can do both. But your only guaranteed shot at service as an Army Ranger is to enlist with an Option 40 Contract. SF will take you later, and with Ranger experience you will will have a lot more to offer your team. Both are tough and long shots at you making it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

Welcome to the site. There are acouple guys on the site that have done both the Ranger route and the 18 series route. I spent my low ranking days in Regiment and i think I am better off for it.

I have a mentee that is from the Atlanta area he is getting ready to ship off in the near future. Let us know what you are going to do and i might get him in contact with you so you guys can push eachother but then again maybe not.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Welcome.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome. Good introduction. Please explain your username. Is it anything like a 12-step program?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Eight Changes
Ranger

Post by Eight Changes »

Jim wrote:Welcome. Good introduction. Please explain your username. Is it anything like a 12-step program?
My username is the English translation of "BaGua" which is a Chinese symbol used to illustrate natural cycles.

It is often shown with the much more well-known "Yin Yang"

I chose this because it is the basis for one of my favorite martial arts styles, "BaGua Chang" or "Eight Changes Palm".

The basic concept of this art is circling around the opponent at close range in order to execute joint manipulations, take-downs and throws, all of which are things I particularly enjoy.

Rangers, thank you for the very quick and informative responses. I will take all of your advice to heart in making whatever decisions are presented to me.
Eight Changes
Ranger

Post by Eight Changes »

GSXRanger wrote:

Now... as a fellow shutterbug myself... I KNOW YOU HAVE PICCIES OF HOT WOMEN. You are hereby ORDERED to post them randomly.
Roger that.
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Nomad »

Eight Changes wrote: I am 30 years old and have decided it is time I signed up to serve.
Go SF. You will more than likely fit in there better than in a Ranger Battalion.

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com!
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Eight Changes wrote:
GSXRanger wrote:

Roger that.

Read the FAQ's and stickies on how to address members of this board before you post again.

If you don't ever write another post, but keep putting up pictures of chicks like this, I will guarantee you that life will be better.

Return to “Introduction Archive”