I don't post much..

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hakushin
Tadpole

I don't post much..

Post by hakushin »

RANGERS, i don't post much..I usually just enjoy reading up. But, I think this situation warrants it. We all know, principles of leadership - know your men like you know yourself. Problem is, I know the "men" in my reserve unit pretty well. I've served as cadre from everything to IAD's to the proper placement of an airway adjunct. My classes are always clear, concise, and combat focused. But for some reason, most of the soldiers in my unit don't give a fuck. Well now I've been tasked with teaching 200 something soldiers - Med techs, dental techs, the whole gambit of medical MOS, how to properly qualify with an m16a2. Daunting, maybe, but I volunteered because I thought maybe, just maybe, I could save a life or two by teaching soft skill reservists to be trigger pullers. But if they don't care, how can I make them? It seems they won't appreciate the brevity of our countries situation until they're on patrol, with tracers wizzing by their baby faces. Any help would be appreciated. Also, Ranger CAMS hasn't told me to "fuck off" in about a year - I'm starting to feel left out. Just kidding. Thanks in advance brothers.
11B1P
3/502 2000-2002
LRSD 311th MI 101st ABN 2002-2004
Team 1-2
S/O - RTO
Kosovo 2001
Iraq 2003 - 2004
91W Aug 06
68W Jan 07

"No weapon forged against us shall prosper!"
RTO
BANNED

Re: I don't post much..

Post by RTO »

hakushin wrote: Also, Ranger CAMS hasn't told me to "fuck off" in about a year - I'm starting to feel left out. Just kidding. Thanks in advance brothers.
oh CAMS, where are you............ :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Till he gets here I'll grab you a sammich to make ya feel more at home.... Ranger Cams, yours is on the table in case I'm sleepin. :lol:
Ford375
Ranger

Post by Ford375 »

Unless you want to get slapped around like a red-headed stepchild.... I suggest you get your ass back in the kitchen and make me one as well!!!

:twisted:
3/75 - APR 2004-AUG 2007
CCo. 1/181 INF [ARNG] AUG 2007-MAR 2009
----------------------------------------------

Nobody in this country has ever seen me mad.

"TAB-FREE"
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Where the hell'd you come from Ranger?.....
:lol:

No red hair... :?
Over 18.... :?

I'll get ya one anyway, I meant to grab a few beers before I went to bed too... :P
hakushin
Tadpole

Post by hakushin »

Many thanks for the Sammich...-Note: I don't eat vegetables
11B1P
3/502 2000-2002
LRSD 311th MI 101st ABN 2002-2004
Team 1-2
S/O - RTO
Kosovo 2001
Iraq 2003 - 2004
91W Aug 06
68W Jan 07

"No weapon forged against us shall prosper!"
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

hakushin wrote:Many thanks for the Sammich...-Note: I don't eat vegetables
No worries, just ham and cheese with a bit of mayo Hakushin.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

hakushin wrote:Many thanks for the Sammich...-Note: I don't eat vegetables
The only vegitables that I eat are ketchup, pickles, potato chips and Funions. the rest of that hippie food will kill you.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

You want them to care? Try to shock them, you should always open a period of instruction with an "Attention getter", which now a days is kind of hard to achieve. I say it's hard because the people you are dealing with have seen all methods of dismemberment via hollyweird. So you have to find something that will grab their attention and hold it for the period of instruction.

With firearms instruction the classroom will not work. The type of shooting you will teach is best done by programming a specific reaction to specific stimuli. Example: You observe a silhouette, you engage it.

There are techniques available, but I won't give you over an open post. Try an find a Small Arms Master gunner or google "miltary shooting instruction".

In short I have had the most success training marksmanship by making it fun. When you have guys wearing engineer tape on their helmets and someone shouting instructions from a tower, you will not achieve an atmosphere of learning.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Aside from Ranger Silverback's scare tactics:

If your current duty station has one, schedule time at the sim-range. Provide a reward criteria that those that qualify (within a certain number of trials), will get to shoot in a scenario(s).

Being that your unit is medical you might have a harder case than other types of CS/CSS units (because of the whole Hippocratic Oath thing).

I was in MI and mostly on Reserve status for my whole time, and it was rare that any MI soldier had trouble paying attention during marksmanship classes--most truly wanted to qualify, and most had no problem with the idea of killing/wounding the enemy--but we still had problems with qualification. Our problems mostly laid in only shooting once a year (or less...the late 90s were brutal on ammo budgets).
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Having been in a couple med units I can offer this... you are up against a REMF attitude... "I'm in the rear I don't need to know how to shoot, move and communicate. PFC XXXXXXX you take this too seriously. blah blah blah" If you can make them see an intrinsic need, ie motivate them to see that this is vital to their coming home with the unit and not being shipped home you've got 'em.

Some things one 1SG used that worked in our Dental reserve unit (multiplying the problem) was a powerpoint right off the bat... casualty photos, casualty photos with medical personell rendering aid... he froze it on that one and hit us with "Which soldier in this picture do you want to be?!" The giggling and grab ass stopped.

Make them give a shit. Make them see how it affects THEM. From there its all gravy.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

How about using the 507th or whatever that unit was that mostly got their ass kicked because of poor weapons maintenance and having a REMF attitude?
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: I don't post much..

Post by cams »

Also, Ranger CAMS hasn't told me to "fuck off" in about a year - I'm starting to feel left out. Just kidding. Thanks in advance brothers.
I didn't remember you until I went back and read all 28 of your post's.

Not once did I see a post from me telling you to fuck off.

It appears a large number of other Rangers did though.

So I ask you, why are you poking a stick in my face?

If you wanted my attention, now you have it, idiot.

Shut the fuck up, unfuck yourself quickly and I won't vote to ban.

When you first came here, you were sporting a Tab, a Recondo patch, and an L Co. scroll I believe in your avatar. None of which were earned.

You ran your mouth, stepped on your dick every chance you could, and behaved like a woman. I certainly hope you're not trolling for Ranger cock here. Fag.

After the Tab/Recondo/L Co issue came up, another Ranger asked you back in 2005, to answer certain questions about the 101st, did you ever complete this task, and if so, where are the answers?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Can I have an XXL popcorn with Xtra butter?
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

42L5V wrote:How about using the 507th or whatever that unit was that mostly got their ass kicked because of poor weapons maintenance and having a REMF attitude?
That was my first thought as well.

Regardless of being REMFs, they gotta get from point A, to point B somehow - and there is proof out there that sometimes things don't go as planned.

Besides, what is wrong w/ these folks? Shooting is f-ing FUN.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."

Return to “The Mosh Pit”