My Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

JamesQ
Egg

My Introduction

Post by JamesQ »

First, I'd like to say thank you to all of the current and past military personnel on this site for the protection you provide for me and my family. Me, my wife, and my kids owe you all a huge debt that there is no way for us to ever repay. You have my sincerist thanks and deepest respect.

My name is James, I'm 29 years old and I work as a technical architect for a large telecommunications company. I've spent the last 8 years of my life doing this and basically helping a greedy corporation make more money. After 9/11 I did what a lot of people did and started to question what really matters. I found out what I do now, does not (but right not it's a means to an ends to feed my family). Shortly after 9/11 I went back to school with a direction towards going to medical school, but it's not what I want to do. I come from a military family. My father, his father, uncles, cousins... just not me. After high school I went to college on an athletic scholarship. If it weren't for that, I probably would have been in the army. It's a piece of me that is missing. It's really hard to explain. I hope that this is a mistake that I can correct, but I worry that it's not.

I want to serve my country by becoming a Ranger. Anything worth doing, is worth doing well, so I want to set my goals high. I need to stop spinning my wheels and do something that matters. What you guys do... matters.

I have been an athlete most of my life, but I fear that my age now works against me. I've looked for age related information and all that I've found is a range of 17 - 34 for the army (here and other sites).

Thank you all again... without your service, things like this message board would not exist. Also, thank you for taking the time to read it (sorry for the length). May God protect you all and bring you home safely.

Respectfully,
James
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George Patton (1885-1945)
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Welcome to the site and thank you for your words.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Ray80
Infantryman

Post by Ray80 »

Welcome, James. Hell yeah. Go get your Ranger contract and show us youngsters what it's all about.

Ray
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Welcome, JamesQ!

I say do it....I too got to my late twenties and found that same piece missing in my life.

I went in at 28 determined that nothing would stop me from becoming a Ranger. And nothing did.

I would hate to think, now, at 36, how much bigger that hole in my life would be....

Go for it!

Rangers Lead The Way
RSD 96-99
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome.

Age won't hurt you, in fact it might help.

I often wish I had enlisted later on instead of as an immature 18 year old dickhead.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Welcome. 8)
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: My Introduction

Post by Steadfast »

JamesQ wrote:First, I'd like to say thank you to all of the current and past military personnel on this site for the protection you provide for me and my family. Me, my wife, and my kids owe you all a huge debt that there is no way for us to ever repay. You have my sincerist thanks and deepest respect.

My name is James, I'm 29 years old and I work as a technical architect for a large telecommunications company. I've spent the last 8 years of my life doing this and basically helping a greedy corporation make more money. After 9/11 I did what a lot of people did and started to question what really matters. I found out what I do now, does not (but right not it's a means to an ends to feed my family). Shortly after 9/11 I went back to school with a direction towards going to medical school, but it's not what I want to do. I come from a military family. My father, his father, uncles, cousins... just not me. After high school I went to college on an athletic scholarship. If it weren't for that, I probably would have been in the army. It's a piece of me that is missing. It's really hard to explain. I hope that this is a mistake that I can correct, but I worry that it's not.

I want to serve my country by becoming a Ranger. Anything worth doing, is worth doing well, so I want to set my goals high. I need to stop spinning my wheels and do something that matters. What you guys do... matters.

I have been an athlete most of my life, but I fear that my age now works against me. I've looked for age related information and all that I've found is a range of 17 - 34 for the army (here and other sites).

Thank you all again... without your service, things like this message board would not exist. Also, thank you for taking the time to read it (sorry for the length). May God protect you all and bring you home safely.

Respectfully,
James
Welcome to Army Ranger dot com "Q". We have a Ranger here by the name of Ranger Bell that could be of assistance to you. However at this time Ranger Bell is away on "business". We all expect him any day now. But you will have to get his attention as he is surely backed up on his mail. Send him a PM (private Message) and outline your desires and age. I am sure he will respond when he can. Do not get him confused with Ranger ABell. They are two different individuals. GL
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

James-
Welcome to the site. That was a fine intro. I was nearly 31 when enlisted as an E2. If I can answer any age related questions, drop me a PM. Also, if you'll do a search on that subject, you'll find a lot of good threads concerning that topic. Best of luck to you.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Welcome and make sure you read the FAQ's, and use the search button before asking a question.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

James,

Welcome and thankyou for that damn fine intro.

From what I have read and seen, age shouldn't be a hindrance.

Your in good shape? Good. The rest is mental.

Again, welcome.
Bell

Re: My Introduction

Post by Bell »

JamesQ wrote: It's a piece of me that is missing. It's really hard to explain. I hope that this is a mistake that I can correct, but I worry that it's not.
James, you're among guys that completely understand what you're saying. You aren't the first guy that's felt this way. Why do you think most of us joined? And went Ranger? I was 27 when I enlisted. I graduated Ranger School 3 months short of my 30th. EP was a grandpa when he did it. Age ain't got a thing to do with it. It's you. If ya want it bad enough you'll do it.

I commend you on your commitment and completely understand your need to do this. You'll always and forever regret it if you don't try. Go for it. Let us know how it goes.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Introduction Archive”