Tough Decision

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
mavslax
Embryo

Tough Decision

Post by mavslax »

I have been deadset on enrolling in ROTC at the college i will be attending this fall, but have now had second thoughts.I plan to spend a 30 yr career in the Army. I want to be an infantrymen, and that is all there is to it. No other MOS interests me in the least bit. I am now getting worried that after initial assignemnt as a platoon leader, or after being a company commander, I may be assigned to a staff job for the rest of my military career. Can someone explain what it takes to STAY an infantry officer throughout your career? I have also read that many officers are "asked" to leave the Army at the rank of Lt. Col. after about 20 yrs, when their superiors see no chance of them being further promoted. If that happened i would be forced to start a second civilian career. That would suck ass. I am considering enlisting just to avoid being stuck with a staff job for a lot of my career, and to make sure I can stay in the Army a full 30 years. The only thing keeping me from enlisting is my desire to raise a family and make sure they are financially secure...Officers do make quit a bit more than Enlisted soldiers. That may sound pussified to some, but when considering career options, money is a big issue. Any information on STAYING an infantry officer for a full 30 yrs would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Your post has answered all your own questions...shut the fuck up and read it a few times.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Would you like some cheese with your whine?
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
mavslax
Embryo

Post by mavslax »

Ranger The Holmchicken, my post was not intended to gain any sympathy, and I certainly did not mean to whine. I would just like to know whether it is likely that as an infantry officer i will be able to stay in the field for most of my career.
mavslax
Embryo

Post by mavslax »

Ranger Buddha, I REALLy appreciate your advice. I am definitely leaning towards enlisting now. I might just apply for the green-to-gold program after being a soldier for awhile. Thanks again.

arg

Post by Guest »

just remeber if you go enlisted dont become some puke 1sgt or csm, then you spend time saying crap like... mow the bn area/ paint the barracks/ who has police call? yup then you kiss ass the ass of officers every day ... unless your csm Purdy or smoking Joe :lol: :evil: 8)
mavslax
Embryo

Post by mavslax »

Thanks for the advice Ranger Ranger Why, I'll probably do the green-to-gold program before I get up that high though, to get a commision.
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

PaperStreet 2/75 wrote:
That may sound pussified to some, but when considering career options, money is a big issue.
If money is your motivator, stay a civilian. People don't join the military to make the big bucks. If money is your motivator for wanting to be an officer, don't become an officer, your motivations are wrong.

Good luck in your decision. I wish I could offer more guidance.
Well said Ranger Paperstreet 2/75.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
mavslax
Embryo

Post by mavslax »

Ranger PaperStreet 2/75 thanks for the advice. Definitely some thought-provoking words. And money is definitely not my motivater, I am just weighing the pros/cons of officer vs enlisted. This is tough shit.
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

mavslax wrote:Ranger PaperStreet 2/75 thanks for the advice. Definitely some thought-provoking words. And money is definitely not my motivater, I am just weighing the pros/cons of officer vs enlisted. This is tough shit.
My guess is that you want to become an officer because, lets face it, most civilians with little to no knowledge of the military think that being enlisted is a horrible life. I'm putting two of my friends in the Army and all they ever say to me is, "I want to be an officer."

None of them can't answer why. Most likely because they think that being a lieutenant is way cooler than being a private. Because they think they will be a commander of some sort. Heed the advice from the Rangers who have put it quite well here. Go enlisted if you really want to be a Ranger. That's your only guarantee to try to be anything. Officers don't get 11A guaranteed in their contracts.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
mavslax
Embryo

Post by mavslax »

Ranger xray, I am 18, and I definitely intend to get married into the future. And you are right, there is nothing wrong with supporting a family as enlisted, they will just be more secure if I am an officer...and please do not get me wrong, that is DEFINITELY not my motivation, I am just weighing all the factors. I haven't taked the ASVAB yet, or my college's math placement tests, but I'm about to take that. I believe in myself, I WON"T quit. I've been working my ass off in the weight room for 2 1/2 yrs, i play lacrosse, so I'm in very good shape. And I will not quit until I reach my goals. I do not think the enlisted life is a horrible life. I think I would actually prefer it to the officer life. Right now, the only thing keeping me from enlisting is actually something that Ranger PaperStreet 2/75 pointed out...I cant know what is going to happen in the next 10, 20, 30 years...so what if i enlist, and later realize that I do not want to pursue a military career...I'd have to go back to college, but it would be much better to attend college while still young. And if i go to college now I HAVE to do ROTC to get the rest of my tuition paid. Thank you all for your advice, it really is helping.
RGRPA
Ranger

Post by RGRPA »

Officers who are truely leaders are for the most part continually assigned to positions where they influence Soldiers. Sometimes that is in the Line, others have skills better suited for Staff or School House. Most of the best Officers I have served with had done a little of both.

You need to think hard about what you're getting into, decide on a path, and except nothing less than excellence from yourself.

You can't get the answers you're looking for on a web-site.
155th AR Bde 1983-1985
A/1/75th 1986-1991
3/24th ID FSB 1993-1995
5th RTB (TMC-11)1995-1998
1/121 IN 2000-2002
Commander, C/148th/48th BCT 2003-Present
RGR CL 9-87
We Interfere With Natural Selection

Return to “Recruitment Process”