Commissioned Officers getting smoked in Battalion.

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Commissioned Officers getting smoked in Battalion.

Post by EggMcMuffin »

When a new Commissioned Officer gets to battalion does he get smoked by the NCOs since he outranks them? If NCOs cannot smoke him does he potentially get less smoking since he could only be smoked by Commissioned Officers?
Last edited by EggMcMuffin on March 5th, 2004, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

No.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Thank you Ranger wm311.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Newly commissioned officers are not assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment, only officers with a proven record of leadership already under their belt.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Newly commissioned officers are not assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment, only officers with a proven record of leadership already under their belt.
Ranger Spartan-

I would assume that to achieve a proven record of leadership you would have to spend time in a less elite combat unit such as 82nd Airborne or 101st Airborne before being considered for service in the 75th Ranger Regiment?
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Pretty much any infantry unit. Officers don't get smoked at Batt. to my knowledge. I never saw an officer do a pushup unless he wanted to.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

How long might I serve in a regular infantry unit as an Officer before having a record that is acceptable for Rangers, or does that all depend on how much combat I see, etc.?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You'd need to be Airborne and Ranger Qualified first. Second, you'd need a successful turn at being a platoon leader in an infantry unit. Then, you'd have to apply to attend Ranger Orientation Program, pass that, then successfuly pass a set of boards and evals, other than the physical requirements, marksmanship, swimming competence, etc.... - it's a pretty thorough process.

Then, you'd get a second chance at being a platoon leader, where every other 1st LT in the Army usually only gets one opportunity for doing so.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Thank you Ranger wm311 and Ranger Spartan for your information. :D 8)
Then, you'd get a second chance at being a platoon leader, where every other 1st LT in the Army usually only gets one opportunity for doing so.
8)
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

The only time I saw officers get smoked was when D Grange was doing his Munga Dia (spelling) trips in the mountains. Then they were not doing pushups and such but were dragging ass all the same. It was kind of a mini Ranger School gut check thing. The best is when they were expecting a resupply and they got one from the partisans. It wasn’t a MRE, they got a ball of rice with a sardine in the middle. That was the funniest shit. I also know the 3rd Bat O’s used to gut check their new officers by running em down the Darby Trail when it was covered in CS powder. Did not make for a good run for us the next morning on the same trail.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

cbar10 wrote:down the Trail when it was covered in CS powder. Did not make for a good run for us the next morning on the same trail.
Just brought a major RIP memory back for me, back when we had Bn RIP at North Ft. Lewis. Good times. :twisted:

Of course, new officers to the Regiment usually did get smoked - smoked by the relentless pace of the first opportunity to have platoon PT with them.
Looon
Ranger

CO'S

Post by Looon »

My first plt leader, LT Whitney, who later became company XO, said that "his ideal assignment was a RANGER BATT plt ldr. He also told me that infantry officers that wanted to make rank, needed to have that as part of their "resume".

He was the most HOOAH officer I met, while in the army.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Dave Grange

Post by SkyShark »

Dave Grange, what a fucking stud that man is. It was good to see him on CNN as a Military Analyst the past couple years. 8)

The only time I EVER saw an NCO drop an officer was in Jump School. But we all know about jump school.

As far as 2lt taking command, how it worked in the 82nd was a new officer had to spend at least 6 months in the S-1 or S-4 shop before they could get a platoon, also if they were not tabbed then they spent thier entire time in the S-4 shop. Believe or not I actually saw a 2lt at Bragg that failed Ranger School 3 times and they finally shipped him and would not let him be a holdover for a fourth try. I knew him for a bout a year and a half. He came to my Battalion and went straight to the S-4. A year and a half later he went to another Battalion in the same regiment and was put in the S-4 shop there, waiting for a slot for Ranger School.
It's all good.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Why do they make you do paperwork? :? I want to blow something up! :twisted: Paper is quite flamable though....

Just to be sure we are talking about the same S-1 shop.

http://www.3coscom.wiesbaden.army.mil/C ... s1shop.htm
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”