MOUTAIN PHASE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES!

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
undergoodcanopy
Ranger

MOUTAIN PHASE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES!

Post by undergoodcanopy »

I was at breakfast with my family this morning, and my son ordered blueberry pancakes, and of course I had to inform him the "best" blueberry pancakes in the world, were the ones i had during the Moutain phase of Ranger School!
Did anyone else have the pleasure of this food of the Gods?
Also they had the chow bird, with the red door,
I had heard stories of the "chow bird" from guys that had gone to Ranger School before me.
They said what ever you do on the air mobile get the bird with the red door, because the crew on the bird gives you chow!!
Does anyone else remember this?
Or do they still do it?
82nd Abn Div 2/325th A.I.R.: 89-94
JRTC TF2 (observer/controller)_94-97
RS 8-92 (LAST HARD CLASS)
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

I love blueberries, however everytime I order them I think of the scene in the movie Stand By Me. :shock: :shock:
It's all good.
toad
Ranger

Re: MOUTAIN PHASE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES!

Post by toad »

undergoodcanopy wrote:I was at breakfast with my family this morning, and my son ordered blueberry pancakes, and of course I had to inform him the "best" blueberry pancakes in the world, were the ones i had during the Moutain phase of Ranger School!
Did anyone else have the pleasure of this food of the Gods?
Also they had the chow bird, with the red door,
I had heard stories of the "chow bird" from guys that had gone to Ranger School before me.
They said what ever you do on the air mobile get the bird with the red door, because the crew on the bird gives you chow!!
Does anyone else remember this?
Or do they still do it?
We all inhaled blueberry pancakes in Mountain phase.

Plus all the birds in Florida phase were pougie birds, and they all had fuckin red doors!!!! Dude you must have been seriouly droning!!!!!
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Hey man, all the birds have a "red door".
They're student pilots from Ft Rucker, the reason that they're "pogey-birds" is because of an incident many years ago when one of them crashed.
The Ranger studs secured the AO applied first-aid and called in a 9-line and had the injured pilots medevaced.
The pogey-birds then became a tradition, a means of showing thanks from one group of students to another.
:? :? :?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Hey man, all the birds have a "red door".
They're student pilots from Ft Rucker, the reason that they're "pogey-birds" is because of an incident many years ago when one of them crashed.
The Ranger studs secured the AO applied first-aid and called in a 9-line and had the injured pilots medevaced.
The pogey-birds then became a tradition, a means of showing thanks from one group of students to another.
:? :? :?
It's one of the pilot in training priorities to stock up on anything and everything before they fly. The pogey-mobile (airmobile) is usually flown as a p/u and insertion begining or during the FTX phase.

It is in fact a tradition that began many years ago when Rangers conducted a downed pilot mission in the RVN, overcoming a great deal of odds to get to the bird and rescue the crew. As a result, pilots and crews have been doing this ever since as a way of saying thanks and in the knowing that if it were to happen again (which it has as we all know) it would be no different.

As a result, and because Rucker is only a short flight time away, later on in their training when flying formation missions, both Rudder and Rucker combine complimentary and mutual supporting mission requirements.

I've literally seen students become human chipmunks stuffing their jowls with as much shit as they can into their pieholes. If you've never seen this, it will have you rolling on the floor each time you do. :D

The unwritten rule was once their butts on in the bird, let em have at it.

Once on the LZ and their feet hit the ground, game over. I've never seen a stud who wasn't or didn't have his ass in full motivational gear after one.

I'll never forget mine. A cold Pepsi, Hardees cheeseburger and a fudge brownie. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. 8)
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Viking
Ranger

Post by Viking »

Ahhh....two outstanding topics.

Mountain phase blueberry pancakes are indeed the best blueberry pancakes in the entire universe.

We were waiting on the HLZ when those red doors showed up and we all screamed like the heathens that we were. When my group jumped on ours, the pilots started handing back bread bags filled with ham sandwiches, and in between each sandwich were little debbie creme filled oatmeal cookies.

I loved those guys.
A Co, 3/75 92-95. RS 9-93
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

The Blueberry Pancakes were tops, the lived up to all my expectations. When your a private in Bn you listen to all that shit and remember it! just talking about it makes me want to go up there and get a Big old plate full!

And all you Fuckers that got "Poggy Birds" can kiss my Fucking Ass. For some dumb ass reason my class didn't get the bastards, and that really sucked! Everyone knew when we were suppose to get 'em, and when they got there..................Nothing...............Notta.............Zilch! That was one of the most demotivating days of Florida!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

don't ever go back to mtns and try those pancakes again.
it'll ruin your memories from Suck School
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

AbnRgr289 wrote:The Blueberry Pancakes were tops, the lived up to all my expectations. When your a private in Bn you listen to all that shit and remember it! just talking about it makes me want to go up there and get a Big old plate full!

And all you Fuckers that got "Poggy Birds" can kiss my Fucking Ass. For some dumb ass reason my class didn't get the bastards, and that really sucked! Everyone knew when we were suppose to get 'em, and when they got there..................Nothing...............Notta.............Zilch! That was one of the most demotivating days of Florida!
In this case, I guess there's only one thing left to say.........

RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75

centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

RRDTm3 wrote:don't ever go back to mtns and try those pancakes again.
it'll ruin your memories from Suck School

What did they do, stick SB back there to screw with the batter??? :shock:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75

AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

centermass wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:The Blueberry Pancakes were tops, the lived up to all my expectations. When your a private in Bn you listen to all that shit and remember it! just talking about it makes me want to go up there and get a Big old plate full!

In this case, I guess there's only one thing left to say.........

Thats ok, I had my good day's in School! ( I know I had some, well a few, Ok a couple, Damn it 1, I know I had at least 1 )
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
RangerWill175
Ranger

Post by RangerWill175 »

Over the years I had forgotten about the pancakes or thought is was just one of those mind fucks you get in Ranger school. Kind of like the coke machines and rolling doughnuts you start to see during patrol. As for the Poggy Birds.... every time I got on a chopper in RS there was a fucking RI next to me. I could see the poggy next to the pilot. What a pisser.
There are a lot of nice people in the world...I'm just here to help even it up.

Co C 1/75 1/77-9/78
SWCDQC - Combat Diver
Rgr Class 1&2-78
Det 1 Co A 1/20 SFGA 81-83
Co H 122 IN (LRSU) 89-90
Co B 2/19 SFGA 90-93

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alan-willett-p-g/11/643/83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

Yeah! Let me tell you about those pogey bait birds...They almost got me kicked out for being overweight and nearly not making tape! :lol:
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

another thing about those birds, dont ever be on the last lift
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

While in the Gulag in Mountains, I had those blueberry pancakes every morning. I hate to say it, but unless you're starved like a fucking Biafran, they're pretty shitty.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”