Honored Moose Club Member
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

M1 grand maybe? 300+
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

Post by PaleHorseRider »

that would be the M1 Garand.....named after its inventor John Garand (1888-1974)...unless this was a slip of your dumb, fat fingers on the keyboard, pull your head outta your ass.
Mark Turkali
Embryo

Post by Mark Turkali »

Am I going crazy or did all my posts in this topic get deleted? Anyway, Springfield's new M1 Garand's are fucking amazing, so accurate it's unreal. Ranger Plavney, if you have the dough you ought to check out Springfield Armory's M1As, pretty accurate rifles, very high quality. If you want something a little more sporty you could check out DSA's high accuracy bull barrel FALs, I heard they get pretty crazy groups.
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?I ... 21bull.gif
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Probably was moved to the appropriate forum, fagmo. This isn't the 'DEPshits With Rifles Zone'.

I know you didn't start the thread, but you definately 'followed the herd'. Rangers are leaders; leave the following to someone else.
Mark Turkali
Embryo

Post by Mark Turkali »

Roger that, but how did my individual replies get transferred without the rest of the topic? And why didn't it leave a brown streak so I could follow it to the thread? Or a smell? HO HO HO Ranger God was here. You don't have the need to know.

Mr Goodwrench, one thing you may want to know about the M59 (Yugoslavian SKS) is that the barrel is not chrome lined, so always clean the bore immediately after firing. Even 7.62x39, such as Wolf, that is marked non-corrosive is STILL corrosive to an extent. Yugoslavia didn't have significant Chromium ore deposits and also had shitty relations to the USSR, so no chrome for them.
Mark Turkali
Embryo

Post by Mark Turkali »

I guess that means they were deleted.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Okay Mark, What did the USSR soldiers use to clean their weapons after firing that shitty-corrosive combloc ammo ? Please don't tell methat they used cat urine.....
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Mark Turkali
Embryo

Post by Mark Turkali »

They didn't, their weapons had chrome lined bores and soldiers during that time were poorly trained conscripts. If they did clean them they'd use a solvent most likely. What I do when I shoot corrosive ammo is bring a bottle of windex with me to the range. After you're done shooting just spray some windex down the barrel and that'll neutralize the corrosive salts immediately. However, do NOT leave ammonia in your bore overnight if you have a chrome lined bore, this will eat your shit up quick. It's ok for a few hours, but overnight is a definate no-no. Cat piss may actually work being as it has a high ammonia concentration.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

Mark Turkali wrote:I guess that means they were deleted. :cry:
A screw up in moderation. Sorry bout that fellow Rangers. DEPS - go cry about it somewhere else, we're not here to listen to your whining.
DO NOT PM ME
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Mark Turkali wrote:They didn't, their weapons had chrome lined bores and soldiers during that time were poorly trained conscripts. If they did clean them they'd use a solvent most likely.

What I do when I shoot corrosive ammo is bring a bottle of windex with me to the range. After you're done shooting just spray some windex down the barrel and that'll neutralize the corrosive salts immediately.
The Windex thing is all over the net, but I have yet for one person to tell me what a Soviet soldier used to clean their weapons. You even know the chrome content of a Yugo bore, but not something as common as the type of solvent/oil that the USSR issued. I may be proven wrong, but I believe the Windex thing to be a gun board myth. Most American ammo had corrosive primers up to the late 30s . A former A/75 Ranger who admins a gun restoration site called the makers of Hoppes#9 and was informed that their product would neutralize corrosive residues. As for the cat urine, which I have heard of, it will not be going down the barrel of any weapon I own. The bore will just have to rust. One more thing to consider, if Soviet conscripts didn't clean their weapons then where did all of these nice Soviet firearms come from ? They should all have corroded barrels. If the barrels are chromed and will not corrode then why bother useing something like Windex ?
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Mark Turkali
Embryo

Post by Mark Turkali »

The windex thing definately isn't a myth. Windex has Ammonia D which breaks salts down, as do Alkalines. We don't have a a bunch of "nice" Soviet rifles, most of them have fucking sewer pipes for bores. You have to keep in mind that the Russians made WAAAY more weapons than they would or will ever use. The reason why we have so many of them is the same reason they're dirt cheap, there's millions upon millions of them. The only surplus Russian rifles we really have here are SKSs, Mosin Nagants (all types), and the SVTs. The SKSs that come to the US were not even used as Russian SKSs were only used in one battle in Belarus. Century Arms imported those in the early 90's when they were still packed in crates, those that had been used had been completely rearsenaled, such as mine. Many of our Nagants are the same way. SVTs that came here were used as sniper's weapons, snipers probably tend to care for their weapons better than grunts. Most of the ones that made it to war were lost or damaged, made from SVT38s into SVT40s (rearsenaled). The reason you should windex your rifles even if they have a chrome lined bore is because sometimes the chrome is wore down in little sections in the barrel, if the corrosive salts get in these raw steel spots it will become a pit, then you're fucked. Also, for gas operated weapons, the carbon and corrosive residue from burnt powder is deposited in the gas tube, which is not chrome lined. I assume Russians used plain ol' solvent and oil for their rifles because they made oil cans that were separated into 2 different sections, just like the chinese, and I know they use solvent and oil.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Here is an ad at Fulton Armory

"M2 Ball!
Add up the clips, bandoliers and can(s) and the ammo is free!
Boxer primed, reloadable!

This Korean M2 Ball is corrosive

Easy cleanup with Windex
GI Bore Cleaner, or just hot water! "
Hmmmmm looks like I may be proven wrong on the Ammonia D not working, but I am still not convinced that a normal cleaning with Hoppes#9 will not neutralize the corrosive residues. I am going to try and call them myself and get the skinny
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Mark Turkali
Embryo

Post by Mark Turkali »

I don't even use Hoppes, so I won't comment, but windex works fine for me and it's a buck a bottle from the dollar store. Windex and CLP is all I ever use. However, there is this stuff I saw at a gun show 2 weeks ago that was being sold. You spray it on and it knocks off all the dirt and old oil, kinda like gun scrubber, but it leaves a very thin layer of a lubricant that feels dry but isn't, kinda like a liquid silicon spray. I wanted to get a big bottle but it was 10 bucks for the big ones and 6 for the little ones, so I asked him for a flyer and took it with me to order some later, but I lost the damn flyer.

Return to “Weapons of War”