Any of you have to deal with this?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
NWVikingBlood

Any of you have to deal with this?

Post by NWVikingBlood »

Rangers,

As I said in my introduction, I'm waiting to hear back about a waiver, but I've made up my mind to go Army, and God willing, Option 40. The problem is, my mother is dead-set against the Military, and even more so the Army.

When she caught wind of my intentions she freaked out. She was crying. She even went so far as to say she would go down to my recruiters office and tell them I was certifiably insane... She told me I would probably die if I went over to Iraq.

I'm not a complete asshole. Watching my mother cry wasn't easy. I was wondering if any of you had to deal with this kind of situation? How would you suggest I handle my parents? I'm 23, I consider myself a man with control of my own destiny. I just don't want to break my mother's heart.

I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

-Adam
Vee
Ranger

Re: Any of you have to deal with this?

Post by Vee »

NWVikingBlood wrote: I'm 23, I consider myself a man with control of my own destiny.

You answered your own question.

Drive on.
RSD 96-99
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Jesus Christ!
Fuck off!
Hasn't Oprah or Doctor Phil got a site for you?
Stand by,Sweetie.
One of the girls will be along to hug your neck.There,there now....

Kelly,Ride can you ladies spare a massengil moment?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

It is perfectly natural for a parent to worry about their children, irregardless of their currently attained age. That being said, there comes a time when it is appropriate for parents to let go the their over-protective side, and allow their now adult children to follow their dreams and sometimes make their own mistakes. Unfortunately, sometimes parents need a little help letting go.

You are an adult. Assuming you are mentally competant, you are able to, and should, make your own decisions as to your future. My mother is/was the over protective type as well. I didn't give her a choice in the matter. It is/was my life, and I decided what I wanted to do. My mother could either deal with it, or have a breakdown ....... but I wasn't going to spend my life following only those dreams my mother was happy about.

Do what is right for you. Not what Momma says. Not what your recruiter says. But what your gut tells you to do. Your mother may not understand right now, but eventually, if you are successful, I guarantee you she will be bragging to the whole town about you. Mine did.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

It's what we Vikings do best! :wink:
RLTW
EP
PS: Shoot a PM to Ray80. Ray went through the same thing, enlisted with Opt. 40, and has literally be 'leading the way' throughout his training thus far. He just returned home for Christmas Leave. I haven't heard yet if his parents have had a change of heart or not, but Ray would be a good starting point.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

i guess you want some bullshit recruiter compassion statement.

fuck that.

you wanna be on the team, join the fucking team.

fuck your mom. she gonna be wiping your tears when you can't join because your too old by one day?

you call yourself Viking, be one.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
NWVikingBlood

Post by NWVikingBlood »

Thanks Rangers,

The road to becoming a Ranger is a long and difficult journey, why should the very beginning be any different?

Just a speed bump along the way...

I'll let you guys know when I hear back about my waiver.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

what kind of waiver is it? legal?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
NWVikingBlood

Post by NWVikingBlood »

Not legal. I'm waiting to find out if I need a waiver for the RE code 4 I got from the Navy. I was given an entry level seperation for fraudulent enlistment (insomnia).

If what my recruiter is telling me is true, the Army would have only given me an RE code 3, which may or may not require a waiver. This is what I'm waiting on. I have taken the ASVAB again, and should take a physical sometime next week.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

it is true that some Navy RE-4'S are listed as RE-3 by the Army and other services.

if that is one, you may be able to get a waiver. this is an Admin waiver and shouldn't effect too much in the realm of options except enlistment bonuses.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

Everyone here knows you care about your mom. But here is reality: One day a long time from now, you're gonna be sitting on the couch thinking about all the things you coulda been and coulda done. Make sure you have no regrets. My parents did not want me to do it either but remember, momma is not gonna be there with you when you sit there and contemplate how successful your life was. Only you can know what is right for you. At some point everyday, I think about all the good times I had with the kind of people you have found here. I am truly a lucky person.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Bell

Post by Bell »

23 years old? You a man yet? Tell mom to fuck off. It's time she grew up too.

RLTW
Bell
Thetimehascome
Tadpole

Post by Thetimehascome »

I hope I'm not out of line posting a reply here. Vicking I caught alot of shit for wanting to enlist also and I'm 30 years old but mine came from my ex-wife telling me that I was leaving my child behind ect...I know thats not true. It will be true when he says to his friends "my dad can kick your dads ass" He'll be proud so will your mom,she's talking shit she wont go down there. P.M, me if you like......p.s MAN UP! sorry so long practicing cutting back sleep.
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

Thetimehascome wrote: I'm 30 years old
You better be PT'ing your ass off while your a DEP if you plan on hanging with all the 17 and 18 year olds physically. It seemed like all the guys 24 + were getting stress fractures/ breaks/ and beaver problems to name a few.
It's Mind over Matter. If you don't Mind, it won't Matter.
Thetimehascome
Tadpole

Post by Thetimehascome »

Thanks Ranger Importsrsloths, I have been PTing and PTing and guess what more PTing, as for injuries thats out of my hands I'll be fine...........

" It's Mind over Matter. If you don't Mind, it won't Matter".

Return to “Recruitment Process”