Screw in Ankle ----- I MADE IT!!!

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
M-EightySix
Embryo

Screw in Ankle ----- I MADE IT!!!

Post by M-EightySix »

Three years ago I broke my ankle and it was repaired with a screw. The screw is not in the joint. It hasn't cause me any pain or lack of movement and the doctor said that I could have it taken out, if the military made me. Three weeks ago I went to MEPS and they didn't even see my medical records about the screw in my ankle. They were going to let me in with the screw still in place but I have cyst on my tailbone so I was temerairly disqualified. Now I have to get the cyst removed. My question is: Will I be able to get an option 40 contract with a screw in my ankle?
Or should I get the screw taken out?
Last edited by M-EightySix on January 7th, 2005, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

well you wouldn't have had a problem except for that cyst. hope that MEPS acceepts the paperwork you bring from you doctor.

otherwise, that is gonna require a medical waiver.

you know what that means.

usually having any screws still in would disqualify you from airborne duty, and thus an option 40. but since doc didn't notice don't bring it up. if you get cleared without needing a waiver for the cyst, you're golden.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
M-EightySix
Embryo

Post by M-EightySix »

I told the doctor at MEPS about the screw in my ankle and he didn't seem to care. We tried to get a waiver for the cyst but it didn't go through so I will have to get it removed.
Mailman
Tadpole

Post by Mailman »

Nice one Ranger Welshan, I wonder if he gets shorter if he does a sharp left face? :lol:
C co 3/75, 3rd Plt
94-97

"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them." -David Berkowitz-
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

waiting on a sitrep, Meightysix.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
M-EightySix
Embryo

Post by M-EightySix »

hit_it wrote:waiting on a sitrep, Meightysix.

I have no idea what that means, SFC hit_it
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

well?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
M-EightySix
Embryo

Sitrep

Post by M-EightySix »

I went to the surgeon to get my cyst removed. But after he looked at it he determined that it was not a cyst, it is just a flap of skin. So I talked with my recruiter and he is going to ask the doctors at MEPS if I should get the thing removed or just leave it. He will also ask whether or not I can get an airborne stamp on my physical.
M-EightySix
Embryo

Post by M-EightySix »

I don't have to get the piece of skin removed. But I do need to get a letter from the surgeon. And he's taking his sweet time writing it. My recruiter also told me that I'd just have to wait and see if I can get an airborne stamp.

I am faced with a dilemma. If I don't get the airborne stamp should I just enlist in the infantry and try to get the screw removed while in the army? and then go through airborne school and RIP. Is it even possible to get the screw removed while in? Or I could get it removed right now. But I heard that you had to wait 6 months after surgery to enlist is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bell

Post by Bell »

So? Remove the screw, wait six months and enlist. You've waited 18 years. What's 6 months?

RLTW
Bell
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

that is entirely up to you. but you waited this long.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Do what you have to do to get the exact contract you want.
If you want Ranger in your contract it must be done before you come in.
It's worth the wait.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “Recruitment Process”