Introduction: Kyle

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rockytop
Embryo

Re: Introduction: Kyle

Post by Rockytop »

Push-ups: 76
Sit-ups: 71
Pull-ups: 14
2 Mile: 12:58

I really thought it would be better than this. I've got a lot of work to do over these next few months. I've started running a whole lot more recently, so I'm expecting to see a huge difference in that event in the near future.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

Jim wrote:Kyle, please check this link:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Roger, Ranger Jim. It appears that I meet the criteria listed except for the ASVAB because I haven't taken it yet(Though I have been taking practice tests online to help prepare for it.)

A quick SITREP: I'll be meeting with a recruiter within the next two weeks to see about the 11x option 40 contract and DEPing in.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rockytop wrote:
Jim wrote:Kyle, please check this link:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Roger, Ranger Jim. It appears that I meet the criteria listed except for the ASVAB because I haven't taken it yet(Though I have been taking practice tests online to help prepare for it.)

A quick SITREP: I'll be meeting with a recruiter within the next two weeks to see about the 11x option 40 contract and DEPing in.
There are a number of worthwhile MOSs. Do your homework and think about what is best for you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

Jim wrote:There are a number of worthwhile MOSs. Do your homework and think about what is best for you. Never, never quit!
Roger, Ranger Jim.

I've talked with the recruiter and will be DEPing in soon. He made it seem like it wouldn't be hard for him to get an Option 40 contract for me. I'll be sure to update everyone when I go through MEPS, and I'll be posting a new PFT soon as well.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

It has been over a month since your last post. What's up?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

Rangers,

Here is an updated PFT from today:
Push-Ups: 82
Sit-Ups: 78
2-Mile: 12:50
Pull-Ups: 15

School has been going well so far, and I am in the ROTC program's PT class that takes place on MWF. Supplementing my own workouts with this class should definitely get me where I need to be physically. I have completed almost all of the required paperwork with my recruiter and will be going to MEPS to DEP in over spring break. Since PFT scores are supposed to be updated every two weeks I will be knocking out 50+1 and making sure this doesn't happen again.

Ranger Jim, while I was typing this I saw your post in another tab I had pulled up. As I said, there will be no more delays from me and doing the 50+1 now.

Thank you,
Kyle
Fuego
Ranger

Post by Fuego »

Those PT numbers are looking good, young man. You neglected to update us on your ASVAB. Please give your current score and keep training. Only intestinal fortitude will assist you in your goals. Push hard. Push harder. Never quit.
RC 05-00
A/1/502, 101st Abn 97-98
B/1/501, 172 SIB 98-01
B/2/3, 2ID 01-02
A/3/187, 101st Abn 02-04 (OEF1/OIF1)

USARA - LRR4889 (Life Member)

Shoot low, they're riding Shetlands.
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

Fuego wrote:Those PT numbers are looking good, young man. You neglected to update us on your ASVAB. Please give your current score and keep training. Only intestinal fortitude will assist you in your goals. Push hard. Push harder. Never quit.
Roger, Ranger Fuego.

My recruiter said I will be taking the ASVAB over spring break when I go to MEPS. I've taken a practice test at the recruiter's office and got an AFQT of 78. My goal is to get a 93+ AFQT on the actual ASVAB. I will begin taking a practice ASVAB on my PFT days to track my progress on the test as well as my PT progress.

Also, I'm currently reading the book Sua Sponte which has given me a lot of insight on the long history of the Rangers. I'm working on memorizing the Ranger Creed and Robert Rogers' Standing Orders at the moment too.

Thank you,
Kyle
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Not to swerve out of my lane, but I would not focus so much on your AFQT. It's only an average of the first few sections. While your AFQT needs to be high, your line scores are more important to getting your job choice. I believe a GT of 110 or higher is required for Regiment, and last I read it was non-waiver able.

Sent from my iPhone using rocks and sticks.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

IEDmagnet wrote:Not to swerve out of my lane, but I would not focus so much on your AFQT. It's only an average of the first few sections. While your AFQT needs to be high, your line scores are more important to getting your job choice. I believe a GT of 110 or higher is required for Regiment, and last I read it was non-waiver able.

Roger, Veteran IEDMagnet.

I will be sure to focus on the GT portion to ensure that I am able to easily pass the standard.

Also, the ROTC PT class I am in is doing our first squad ruck today. The squad leader said we will be doing 6 miles in a little under an hour and a half. This is my first time rucking, so I will update later today with how it goes.

Thank you,
Kyle
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Not exactly what I meant, my intention was to tell you not to fixate on that AQFT score. You need to do well on the whole test. Your line scores are all derived combinations of sections, so you can't focus on the GT section. Treat that test like a PT test, get rest the night before you take it, eat right, and make sure you can focus. You'll be fine.

A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

IEDmagnet wrote:Not exactly what I meant, my intention was to tell you not to fixate on that AQFT score. You need to do well on the whole test. Your line scores are all derived combinations of sections, so you can't focus on the GT section. Treat that test like a PT test, get rest the night before you take it, eat right, and make sure you can focus. You'll be fine.

Roger, Veteran IEDmagnet. I understand what you're saying now. Thank you for the further explanation.

Update:
As stated earlier, I went on my first ruck march today in the PT class. The squad ruck lasted for about 4.5 miles due to the time frame of the class. I continued on to make it a little over 6 miles in around 1.5 hours. My gear weighed 40 pounds, and I used a regular backpack. We will be having another ruck march next Friday, so I'll try to borrow a cadets rucksack for the next one.

Thank you,
Kyle
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

Rangers,

I participated in a 6 mile ruck with 50 pounds of gear on Friday. This ROTC PT class has really turned out to be a huge help in preparing me for the road ahead. We will be holding one of our PFT's on the 25th in class. Also, there will be a company ruck with even more weight next Friday. The graders for the PFT will be actual soldiers/veterans which will definitely help in ensuring I'm using proper form on the push-ups and sit-ups. I also took a practice ASVAB and got an AFQT of 82. The test results didn't break up the line scores, so I'll try to look into another test for my next report.

An update on my recruitment process: My recruiter has gotten basically everything he needs from me to go through the process now. As long as all my medical paperwork clears, I'll be DEPing in with an Option 40 contract in a month.

Height: 5'9
Weight: 168
Push-Ups: 82
Sit-Ups: 80
Pull-Ups: 15
2-Mile: 12:41

Thank you,
Kyle
Rockytop
Embryo

Post by Rockytop »

Rangers,

My recruiter got all of my paperwork sent in to the doctors at MEPS, and I am cleared for enlistment! As I've stated before, I will be going over spring break which starts March 16th. Also, I have memorized the Ranger Creed and will start learning the Soldier's and Infantrymen's Creeds now.

I had to take a small break from PTing while I've been sick. Unfortunately, I've been very ill with a viral infection these last two weeks, but I am almost back at 100% now aside from the cough. I really can't wait to begin this hard journey that lies ahead. It's finally almost time to get my contract. If all goes as planned, I will be able to go in as an E-2 through my college credits.

We took our official PT test today in the ROTC class. The official results will be sent to us in an excel sheet soon. I believe I did well on it though I'm sure there were probably some no-reps in there too. I will post the scores as soon as they send it out.

Thank you for your support,
Kyle

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”