Intro - David

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

pressthefight
Future Soldier / Opt40

Intro - David

Post by pressthefight »

Hello Rangers,

My name is David. I have been fortunate enough to obtain an 11x OPT 40 contract with a ship date of 20140922.

I am 28 years old and currently live outside the Houston, Texas area. I am married to a wonderful wife and we have two boys, ages 2 and 4 months.

I have always wanted to join the military, but as I got older and went to college I guess I let life get in the way and I lost sight of my goal. I am very thankful that I am at a point in life where I can now chase my dream of becoming a Ranger with the full support of my family.

Though I have always been pretty athletic, the last four years of poor diet and sitting in an office all day have taken their toll on my level of fitness. I have been fighting this battle for four months now and have seen some encouraging results. In April, I weighed 20 lbs more, could barely run a mile and do 50 good pushups. I realize I have a long ways still to go and will continue giving it my all every day.

My current scores:

Push-ups: 79
Sit-ups: 68
2 Mile: 13:51
Deadhang Pull-ups: 9
5 Mile: 40:46
6 Mile Ruck (50lb pack): 1:26

Again, I realize these scores don't cut it and will keep on it. I am especially disappointed with Sit-ups - I know I can do much better. I now see the value in regular PFT testing as a baseline for further development.

Thank you Rangers for offering this great resources for all us Future Soldiers.

-David
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140922

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro - David

Post by Jim »

Welcome, David. We at armyranger.com take great pride in the fine young men who pass through here on their life journey. You have now established your PT baseline; begin to build on it. Most questions you may have can probably be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right side of this page. Please tell us more about yourself. What is your educational level? What have you been doing to support your family? Why do you want to be a Ranger? Never, Never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
pressthefight
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by pressthefight »

Ranger Jim,

I have a BA in History, with a concentration in Second World War Europe. I wrote my Capstone paper on German infantry tactics - specifically the importance of the machine-gun.

I have two reasons for wanting to be a Ranger. First and foremost, I believe that there is no greater honor than serving this country. I also believe very much in what we're doing in the GWOT. 9/11 was my first day of high-school and I still remember how surreal it was to hear the news and the anger that came along with the realization that three-thousand of our citizens were murdered. I feel that the United States, as the strongest nation in the world, has a moral obligation to fight terror around the world. I don't want my sons to have to grow up in a world where events like 9/11 are common. When I read about the 75th taking the fight to the bad guys, I knew that is where I want to be.

The second reason is perhaps more selfish, but lies in my desire for personal development. I look at the military and the Ranger Regiment especially, as challenges that help develop a spirit of discipline and determination. I see far too many of my generation take the easy path in life and I want no part of it.

Reading Sua Sponte and Back in the Fight have further strengthened my resolve. I have also memorized the Ranger Creed. I always repeat the sixth stanza to myself when the suck gets hard and it helps me drive on.

We're getting squared away now as a family. I'm trying to locate a rent house closer to town so that my wife can be near her parents if she needs support. I'm getting her to read Sua Sponte as well, so that she has a better understanding of what she can expect. I know the burden will be heavy for her and the kids.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140922

Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome David!

PM Inbound!
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, David. . . continue to work on your run time. Working on your PT now will pay off with your future goals.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

pressthefight

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome pressthefight.

I wish your wife and kids good health & happiness as they sacrifice being without you when you enter military service.

PM inbound
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”