Introduction - Dylan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

D_NEWT308
Embryo

Introduction - Dylan

Post by D_NEWT308 »

Hello, my name is Dylan and I am 19 years old. I have graduated high school and currently work in the dishpit of a restaurant until I can Enlist.

I have not yet enlisted but I hope to do so in the next few weeks. I have been attending the future soldier program at my local recruiting station for the past four months. I am here because My ultimate goal is to serve in the 75th at some point. I really appreciate this website because every question I have had on my path to becoming a Ranger has already been asked by someone else and i know the information is on point because the answers are coming from people who have been there already. Thank you for making all of this available for those that want it. I hope someday in the near future I will be able to change my status to Ranger. -Dylan
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Dylan

Post by Jim »

Dylan, If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com in their life journey. Please begin by reading the FAQs as well as selected threads and stickies. Most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. Please self-administer a PT test and post your results on this thread within 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Jim wrote:The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. Please self-administer a PT test and post your results on this thread within 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Welcome to the site young man, if the road you have indicated you desire to embark upon is true, then this period before the journey begins will be very critical to your success. Unlike many of us who served before the age of the internet there was little if no knowledge of what to do, how to prepare, what to expect when seeking knowledge of how one successfully becomes a United States Army Ranger. At best we would often here these words "You'll find out when you get there". Today is much different, we have an abundance of information pertaining to what are some common beliefs regarding what it must take to be successful and what to avoid to ensure you don't fall prey to the many mental, physical and motivational challenges that you will encounter as you move forward.

However let me state this which has been mentioned time and time again. If in fact you truly want to challenge yourself on becoming one of Americas best soldiers in the world, do not and I mean absolutely DO NOT sign ANY Enlistment contract that does not have the Option 40 wavier associated with it IN WRITING! You will be told by your recruiter that you can get Airborne school and then talk to the Ranger Liaison before you complete school, you'll be told that we're a bunch of old timers who don't know what we're talking about, you'll be told there aren't any waivers available (which might be true at the time), but if you truly want to serve your country as a Ranger, you must first hold out until you get a contract that states clearly that you will be given the "opportunity" to determine if you've got what I refer to as "The Right Stuff".

As stated earlier by Jim, use the search button to find out answers to your questions, PT your ass off, do both normal and elevated pushups (elevated such as putting your feet on a standard chair, hands at a 90 degree angle from your shoulders, not next to your sides, and do them religiously) situps, running etc. Now is the time to prepare, now is the time to focus, now is the time to begin. Your introduction was only an indication that you have interest, however it will be your actions in the day's and months ahead which will determine your truth, within yourself. The time if you successfully reach the RASP program will challenge you in discovering who you are as a man and person from within, for it is only when you are mentally fatigued beyond which you even thought you could handle, physically exhausted beyond that which you previously felt no human being could ever endure, yet tasked with the objective to move forward and perform regardless of the circumstances, when you will come to know who you really are as a person "within yourself". You will see many whom you thought of as your friends, some of which you thought might have been better prepared than you, seemingly physically or even smarter than you, that seemed to be a shoe-in to make it..... FAIL, or QUIT or come up with a thousand EXCUSES as to why becoming a United States Army Ranger is seemingly not such a good idea afterall. This will happen, because it always happens when men are tasked with finding out who they are from within. For some fear sets in and they do not have the capacity nor courage to meet that fear with action. My hope is that God willing having had the capability to make it to that point, when faced with the decision to press on or Quit, that you dig down deep and move forward. Remember what one man has done, another can do also, the only difference is that if you believe you are in fact that man, that you make the decision that it will be you regardless of what anyone else does or doesn't do, regardless of failure or success, that it will be YOU if it is only YOU alone that will successfully meet that challenge.

We as a Ranger Community wish you all the best, and if nobody has told you this let me be the first. The fact that you even want to become a United States Army Ranger, represent and defend our Country against all enemies both foreign and domestic speaks volumes in terms of your character as a young man. Thank you Dylan for having the balls to step up to the plate, should you be successful the road you embark upon will transform and change your life in ways that you right now cannot imagine, but it will instill some lifelong character traits, many of which you will discover you had all along. A very respected member of our forum sums up what I'm talking about succinctly in his tag line where he states:

"I"m not who I am because I am a Ranger, I am a Ranger because of who I am"

Welcome and Good Luck!

RLTW
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, D_NEWT308.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Dylan.

RLTW!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
D_NEWT308
Embryo

Post by D_NEWT308 »

Ranger Jim,
My PT results are as follows:

pushups: 83

sit ups:70

2mile run : 12:27

This test was conducted at my local recruiting station and i was supervised by the future soldier leader (E6) so I am going to assume that my form was good. I am attempting to get my run below a 12:00 and be able to do 100 sit ups and pushups before I ship to basic.

also to Ranger Bugsy,
I do not believe I am able to acquire an option 40 because I require a moral waiver to enlist. I got in trouble drinking when I was younger and have been paying the price ever since. I have been working for several years with recruiters trying to get in and am finally about to ( managed to get a senator to make some calls). I understand that this is not an example of behavior that a Ranger would display but I can also say that I was a child back then and my maturity has grow substantially. Becoming a Ranger is my life's goal and while what I did was not the conduct of a Ranger, neither would be quitting on myself and settling for something that is not what I truly want. Never,never quit!

I am planning to enlist with either an infantry contract or as a medic and display that I am one of the top recruits and try to make it to Rasp through the pipeline of volunteering for airborne and speaking to the Ranger liaisons. Any insight or alternate recommendations would be very much appreciated. I apologize for dragging this post out and/or if this is an inappropriate place for it. I simply wish to make the best decision for myself possible.
Thank you - Dylan
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

There are many of us who did stupid, ignorant things when we were young, many of us (like myself), didn't get caught, unfortunately you did. However I would still hold out for a stipulation that mandates you get Airborne School. I'm not sure what that waiver number is, but I damn sure believe that because you got into some type of undefined trouble while you were drunk, that your recruiter who's only objective is to get you to sign can't prevent you from getting airborne school in your contract.

Don't ask your recruiter about it, but mention that you're not too keen on signing a contact he if can't at LEAST get you Airborne School on that contract in black and white. See what he says, though remember that he may or may not respond with the truth. I'm certain this issue has manifested itself before. Check out the search button on this subject and see what pop's up. Google it as well on the internet. You'll want to have that Airborne slot on your contract at all costs, for getting that school is not a given by any means.

That is all, carry on...
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
D_NEWT308
Embryo

Post by D_NEWT308 »

Thank you Ranger Bugsy for the advice. I will update once I have spoken to him.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Welcome. Go for the medic.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Welcome. I agree with Ranger Sleepy Doc. It is truly a challenge.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
D_NEWT308
Embryo

Post by D_NEWT308 »

I apologize if this is an inappropriate area to post this question however I was unable to find what i believed to be the proper area. Where are Ranger hopefuls supposed to post our progress such as updated pt scores or where we are in the enlistment process? also I would like to become a "Mentee" if that is possible. I spent some time searching for the "five mentee" thread or for info on where to post my questions but I can't seem to find the proper area. Again I apologize if this is a redundant post. I am slightly confused on how to navigate this forums i guess. Thank you
-Dylan
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

D_NEWT308 wrote:Rangers, I apologize if this is an inappropriate area to post this question however I was unable to find what i believed to be the proper area.
Proper Area = Recruitment and Schools - Q & A which is broken down to 6 or 7 different forums.

Where are Ranger hopefuls supposed to post our progress such as updated pt scores

or where we are in the enlistment process? also I would like to become a "Mentee" if that is possible. I spent some time searching for the "five mentee" thread or for info on where to post my questions but I can't seem to find the proper area.
You can not view Mentees forum until you enlist & get an Opt 40 on your contract.

Again I apologize if this is a redundant post. I am slightly confused on how to navigate this forums i guess. Thank you
-Dylan
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
D_NEWT308
Embryo

Post by D_NEWT308 »

Thank you Ranger Steadfast
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

D_NEWT308 wrote:Thank you Ranger Steadfast
Recommend you focus on the letters from school. Most of the letters are from former Mentees as they progress through their early training.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
D_NEWT308
Embryo

Post by D_NEWT308 »

Thank you Ranger Jim

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”