Knights of Heroes - great charity

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Elmo
Ranger

Knights of Heroes - great charity

Post by Elmo »

I want to get the word out about a great charity group my brother founded about four years ago. http://www.knightsofheroes.org/
It is an annual camp for boys who have lost their father in Iraq or Afghanistan. It started with just a handful of kids and this year there are over 40 kids attending. The idea is to give the kids a chance to spend a week doing the things they miss out on not having a father. It isn't some overstaffed charity with a ton of overhead, it is my brother (an Air Force LTC) and a group of his good friends doing something 100% altruistic. They have gotten the support of some good sponsors and have been able to expand the camp to accomodate more and more kids (unfortunately there seems to be a never-ending supply). Through donations they are able to fund the kids travel so kids from all over the country can go. A good number of the kids fathers were from SF units so some of you on here may have already heard about the camp. A documentary was filmed at last years camp and they got quite a bit of publicity which really helped them expand. I have tried to go every year since the start but every time something has come up and I have not been able to go. Hopefully next year I can go and experience it firsthand. From what I have heard from my brother and the others who put on the camp, these boys are amazing and they really love it. This year for the first time they are having a second camp for the daughters, being run by an Air Force vet who lost her husband. I hope everyone who reads this takes the time to check out the website. You can also search Knights of Heroes on youtube and see some videos of the camp. It's always good to know that there are people out there taking care of the families of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
http://www.knightsofheroes.org/
USARAF (DA Civilian) 2014-Present
ETS 10/2014
University of Wyoming ROTC Ops 2013-2014
2-503/173d 2012-2013
USARAF 2011-2012
C/2-12/1CAV PL 2008-2009
B/1-50 Sand Hill OSUT XO 2007-2008
OEF 13
Odyssey Dawn 2011
OIF 08-10
RS 05-10