Intro DWDriveOn

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

DWDriveOn
US Army

Intro DWDriveOn

Post by DWDriveOn »

Rangers, Veterans, Families, and everyone else...

Hello to all. I am currently a Paralegal assigned to an Engineer Brigade out of Germany... however currently serving in the more mountainous and dusty area of the Middle East. Basically since I have been doing this job I have realized it wasn't for me. I have volunteered for every training opportunity that has come up, from being the only person in my platoon (support), to be qualified on every weapons system we carry, from the M249 to the M240B, to the M2 and even the MK 19 - to playing OPFOR for PSD. I could have had a spot on the PSD team for our COL and CSM, however the workload would be out of control on my NCO and the only other paralegal, so I couldn't do the whole PSD gig. It's bad enough that everyone thinks I should have gone Combat Arms, my CSM said I should have been a Combat Engineer, my EO Rep says constantly that I should just go to Selection, and everyone around me has been really supportive.

In December of last year I made the decision to reclass. Neither 11 series was up for grabs, so I took the best alternative I could find, 19D. Well obviously I cannot go to Regiment as a Cav Scout. I'm pretty torn between two options right now. In Dec of this year, I will go back to my Retention NCO and have a look at what he has as options. If 11B comes up, I will most likely switch to that, because although I have a class date for 19D, I am not completely bound to that yet. If I do get 11B - I will most likely request to go to RASP from the get-go, and see what either my Retention NCO can do, or even Drill Sergeants when I get to Sand Hill.

The problem I have is I am also looking at Special Forces as an option. I don't want to use the Ranger Battalion as a stepping stone. I'm just not sure which I would rather do. I also don't want to look back on my life and think, hey, I wonder what being at Batt would have been like... or, I wonder what SF would have been like.

All I am doing right now is building up on all the info I can on both routes in order to make a gut check decision in December. I'm still young, and I got at least another 20 years of Military ahead of me so really just trying to get out there and do something that I can be proud of and have fun doing. Everything people complain about in the Army... Long Grueling Ruck Marches, Hardcore PT (my NCO is an ex Marine), and all of that, is fun for me. I need to go out and do something. Right now I'm going nuts sitting in an office on a FOB. I Wish I could go do Route Clearance missions with some of our subordinate unit's Sapper companies. Still got some waiting to do though.

Hope that intro wasn't too much, but I think it gives a decent impression of my mentality.
"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Intro DWDriveOn

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome, thank you for your service. Whichever path you choose there is a lot of good information for you on this forum.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, DWDriveOn.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

Thank you Rangers, I expect to learn much.
"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Welcome Sapper. Either SF or 75th is a quality pick - if you're up to it, this is a win-win decision. Meanwhile, keep being the best soldier you can be. Nothing is too basic not to do well, '110% and then some'
If you decide on the 75th, consider 13F or medic as well. Both have you at the pointy end of the spear and are considerable challenges.
All the best.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

Thank for for the warm welcome Rangers. I got told by my NCO today that 11B isn't over strength anymore. Granted, my window still doesn't open up till December of this year, I'm hoping it stays that way honestly. Perhaps MSG hit_it can confirm if he reads this, otherwise I may just shoot a message over his way.

Been pretty much doing the general PT since I got to this place, not even hitting the Gym, just doing the PT Improvement Program that was written by SGM Rush. Incorporating Pullups and Chin ups as well. Pretty much gonna guarantee my run is going to be on point, I run roughly 12:50 at sea level in the 2 mile. Our FOB just happens to be 7500 ft above, air is thinner so it should be like when athletes go do high altitude training.

I literally get an e-mail from a good friend (tabbed), every day... all it says is "RTFU SON!".
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
Warchief
Ranger

Post by Warchief »

DWDriveOn wrote: The problem I have is I am also looking at Special Forces as an option. I don't want to use the Ranger Battalion as a stepping stone. I'm just not sure which I would rather do. I also don't want to look back on my life and think, hey, I wonder what being at Batt would have been like... or, I wonder what SF would have been like.
Young soldier there is nothing wrong with starting your Special Operations time with a Ranger Battalion prior to moving over to Special Forces. It is actually a good way to go. You will have an opportunity to first serve with some of the finest NCOs and warriors on the planet. You will get a solid grounding in Light Infantry Tactics and leadership. After a few years, you may then be ready and decide to make the cross over to SF. I served with numerous Ranger Battalion veterans during my time in Group. These individuals always brought something extra to the team which improved our capability to successfully accomplish our mission. you may also decide you found your home on the Battalion and never make the cross the street. Either way, it will be a career well spent and the nation well served.
Ranger Class 10-82
ODAs 236, 233, 232/065, 10th SFGA
ODAs 545, 565, 5th SFGA
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

If you are deployed and have some time on your hands, consider distance learning courses from USASWC&S. This will give you insights on the 18-series MOS.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

Roger Rangers.

Thank you for the insight.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

Thank you Ranger Lunch,

It means a lot to have a lot of positive support from those who have been there and done it. The hardest part about this whole process is the wait, doing the job I'm doing right now. It's really frustrating sitting in an office doing paperwork when I wish I was actually getting a headstart on my training. Going out with PSD and such. It's a rough phase, and honestly it's hard to get myself out of the rut that this deployment is going to be boring.

However, such is life. Between all the Rangers on here, and everyone in my unit all the words of encouragement mean a lot, and add to my drive towards my final goals. A funny quote I got from one of my friends last night after seeing him in the latrine and I was drenched in sweat - "You ok man?" - "Yeah, just got done working out." - "Damn dude, what did you do" - "About 2 hours of Pullups, Pushups, Situps and Flutterkicks" - "WOW!" - "Yeah man trying to get into great shape before going to the Ranger Regiment selection program" - "Dude, if anyone in this unit can do it, it's you... you have enough motivation and drive for 3 Ranger tabs."
-- After that I got so pumped up I went back to my room and worked out for another 30 mins. --

Might as well get used to being smoked for hours on end. Haha
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.

Return to “Introduction Archive”