Moderator: Site Admin

Baseplate
Ranger

Re: College while in Ranger Batt.

Post by Baseplate »

No
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If you are in a slot somewhere in a base support job or a schoolhouse, you might get the time to take some college classes. If you are in any kind of combat arms, especially a place like Ranger Batt., you will not have the time. However, physical therapists are valued in military medicine because many of the non-GSW injuries are similar to sports injuries, and it is an officer position.

Do this: Try and figure out what you want to do and then go do that. You are young enough that you could do a 4 year hitch in Ranger Batt. as a medic or rifleman and then get out and show up to college like a rock star with a lifetime of stories that people will literally be writing books about. Also, some states, like Connecticut, have free tuition at any state college for military veterans.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

If you have enough personal discipline, taking online classes while in batt. is definately do-able (after youve been there longer than a day of course). I found that most guys knocked them out while on deployment, but some guys also did them during the training cycle as well. I personally only ever took classes on deployment. One thing to consider: as a 68W in a Ranger Batt., just by serving you will have knocked out a lot of college credits, because all that training transfers over. So even if you didnt do classes while in, you would still be leaving with a nice lil chunk knocked out towards a degree.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rangers Sleepy Doc and Goon175 have made a lot of good points. Serving as a Ranger Medic will provide a superb underpinning for almost anything you want to do in life. When you start (or return to) college, following an enlistment of several years in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you will be interviewed by the Academics Dean of whatever school you decide to attend. Academic credit will be given for training you complete on active duty. As an example, when I was selected for degree completion, I got about a year's worth of credit for Army schools. Additionally, I had taken the CLEP tests at the on post Education Center (at no cost to me). By the time I got my degree, I had around 175 semester hours -- 120+/- are required. Bottom line, if there's a will, there's a way. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Tell Mommy you have to make history for the other boys & girls to study.
Meanwhile, a thousand universities will still be there in four years and you'll still be very young.
68W is a very responsible job and very difficult. You will be expected to maintain extremely high standards - high standards in a fashion civilians cannot comprehend.
Assuming that you are one of the very few who can make it as a Ranger medic and last the entire enlistment, you will be far out ahead of the other college kiddies and will have a much more mature attitude and will be capable of laughing at the petty things that will stress them.
Join now, make the most of your four years and then get on with life. You have a good, sound plan and it is better than mamma's.
She means well & doesn't want you to get hurt. You can follow her plan and spend the rest of your life wishing & wondering "what if" and you will never hope to achieve, or even comprehend, your full potential.
You want to be a grown-up? Make YOUR decision.
There, that's my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

After I got out I went to school. I was a 23 year old freshman. It was awesome. I could go to the bar when ever I wanted. and 18 year old girls a fucking retards and put out a lot. After being in the army for 4 years going to class for a few hours a week was a breese
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I have a good friend who ETS'd out of my company last year after 5 years in. After only just 5 years in batt. as a 68W, he left as a SSG, an EMT-P, a Bachelors Degree, and had more real world trauma experience than most doctors after there residency is over. As soon as he got out, he took the MCAT, and got accepted into medical school shortly after, he's currently in medical school. He is a great example of what a dedicated Ranger medic can accomplish.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Baseplate wrote: I could go to the bar when ever I wanted. and 18 year old girls (are) fucking retards and put out a lot..

That right there would sell it for me..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

Yeah, as has been said, there are plenty of people who take online classes during their time in Batt. It's fairly common, you just have to have the discipline to do it instead of fucking off in your free time like the rest of us did.
A co 3/75 '07-'10
cco375
Ranger

Post by cco375 »

Maybe things have changed in recent years but I can't imagine taking college courses while in Batt. If you make it to Batt, focus on your job and learning everything you can about it, then start taking a college class or two online.
Cco 3/75 00-03

I'm not leaning to the right because of a bad hip, its because my combat scroll is so heavy

Return to “The Mosh Pit”